TKR RTKR 17 September 2013 possum_here Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im laying in bed crying, my middle son has left to go back to WA to the mines for another mth. He took his passport this time as his older brother arrived with the two children.

They hadnt seen their Dad for a few weeks as he got work in WA too with his mate. He leaves tomoroow to fly over for 4 weeks. He has just taken his two back to their mum who is an hr drive nth.

No matter how much I love my grandchildren, this was not the time to have them here. Azaylee is 4 for those who have me on fb there is a pic of her with me. She was happy with my cut and liked my shiny dressing cause it felt like satin she told me. She would let me rest and then pop her head in the door to say ' Nan, Im just here to check your leg, Im not going to hurt you Im just looking'

She'd pull the covers back put hand sanitiser on her hands and look real close. Nan we have a problem but dont get worried by it'

I would reply what seens to be the problem. Azaylee?
FAIRYDUST & BLING. I just cant see any. Ive got some lucky in my pick flower bag I will just go get you some.

God love her precious innocence.

I almost wet myself at this stage when she came back in her fairy dress and danced around the bedroom sprinkled fairy dust in the air. She stopped and stuck a sapphire on the top of my dressing and said ' its almost ad hood as new Nan, and 5 minutes later climbed up beside me to say so whats new nan?

She looked at my knee and said you have had a the fairy queen here looking at your sore leg, it will be better soon cause she gave your her precious most expensive sapphire. I made a wish Nan that she would help you to walk again and to take your tears away. She she opened my eye really big, yeap it was her you have no tears.
 
I went to my physio marathon yesterday. It was so full on I doubt I can do it next week again. My range is 85.i even did hydro for 45 mins. I met another Dr wholooks after PAIN. Guess what how can I do all these pain exercises if Im not on enough pain meds. Hopeless. So he changed my scripts 10mg Targin morning and night. He was not inpressed. The pain in my foot if from my L5 S1 disc which I have problem with pre surgery. Did you have a spinal? I said yrs against my wishes. He said tbat was the trigger I will organise you to have an MRI of you back and I will fix this.

My dressing was lifting up so he rang the hosp to change it. Wow!!!
 
That is so good that you have some new pain meds and someone who is evaluating your other pain and even setting up tests and working on fixing it. Maybe this is the turn for the better that you deserve. 85 is great at this time especially with the pain you have been having.
 
I think my huge day at physio took its toll on me today :(
 
Rest and ice/elevate today. Even without the physio, the extra activities would be tiring.
 
I took my afternoon pills and went for a rest in my room. Dh went to an archery meeting and when he got home after 8pm. He woke me and then went and finally cooked meat with vege's. When he came back as I was still laying on the bed exhausted he asked me in a an accusing tone had I taken too many pain killers.

I went into the defensive being accused i had taken too many of my medications. I was devastated my dh would even suggest such a thing. Im so totally exausted after the past days and i get remarks made because I was cold and i went and restrd why I the opportunity.

Im dealing with so many things and just before he left I read todays paper and one of my residents has gone to god and I had no idea. She was 91 and she was the most amasing lady and I loved our sessions together. I was obviously upset she was a huge part of day at work. A treasure with elegance. I will miss her RIP- miss Jean xx
 
Can you show your husband a video of what this surgery involves. It might make him realize what you are recovering from.

My sympathies on the death of your friend. It is hard to lose one of the bright lights in our lives.
 
She was happy with my cut and liked my shiny dressing cause it felt like satin she told me. She would let me rest and then pop her head in the door to say ' Nan, Im just here to check your leg, Im not going to hurt you Im just looking'

She'd pull the covers back put hand sanitiser on her hands and look real close. Nan we have a problem but dont get worried by it'

I would reply what seens to be the problem. Azaylee?
FAIRYDUST & BLING. I just cant see any. Ive got some lucky in my pick flower bag I will just go get you some.

God love her precious innocence.

I almost wet myself at this stage when she came back in her fairy dress and danced around the bedroom sprinkled fairy dust in the air. She stopped and stuck a sapphire on the top of my dressing and said ' its almost ad hood as new Nan, and 5 minutes later climbed up beside me to say so whats new nan?

She looked at my knee and said you have had a the fairy queen here looking at your sore leg, it will be better soon cause she gave your her precious most expensive sapphire. I made a wish Nan that she would help you to walk again and to take your tears away. She she opened my eye really big, yeap it was her you have no tears

Love Love LOVE kids, can't WAIT to get back to my Kindergarten class, but you are right. This is NOT the time to have little ones around you. Good thing she brought her pixie dust, fairy dresses and sapphires.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with so much right now. Getting pain under control, the passing of a wonderful person and being cross-examined by your husband.:hissy: Really dude! Dial that WAY down. :gaah:On a scale of 1-10 his insensitivity level is an 11! HE needs some medication. :rotfl: However, if there was a prescription for that almost EVERY MALE would be on it AND some females. :skep: I agree with leejaa, he needs to see the video! We haven't watched it here, but yesterday I made both my boys put on my knee immobilizers and walk around. I wanted them to sleep in it, but they literally didn't last 5 minutes.

I hope you are resting now and awake to a kneeeasy day! :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Donna,
Sorry to hear about everything that has happened to you! Hope you are doing better now that you are home! I have been away for a while just got back home. Please make sue you are icing and elevating it really does help! I 'm a true believer in this! Hugs to you from a far :friends: let me know how you are doing.
Just me,
Linda
 
Glad to hear your pain is being managed alot better. Hope everything else is going better.
 
Hi everyone. Sorry I havent been around I had a small melt down. Still feeling fragile and my emotions are a little raw still.

I just wanted to take a moment and give thanks for my support network here. Xx
 
We are all here and thinking of you! Post when you are up to it. I have had several melt downs in my life so I understand completely. Know you have support and friends here. Peace and love - JoAnne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
if it is any consolation I am the queen of melt downs ..it is getting beyond a joke..I have been blaming my hormones..and my frustrations..... but I am running out of excuses ! :hairpulling:

sending you hugs XXXXX
 
This past weekend was a series of meltdowns for me....It actually it is healing to have them once in awhile. I told my sister I was having a pity party for myself and invited her to come along! Thankfully she has a good ear. That helps too. Of course the meltdown with my husband didn't go quite so well! It did make him more attentive though. All in all, three days in all of melting down, but feeling better now.

Hang in there Donna! Post when it feels right, there are days it just takes to much energy to get on here. We understand and are here for you!
 
Hi Donna,
I just caught up with your thread and I am VERY ANGRY for you!! I can't believe the lousy professionals at the hospital treated you that way and I am appalled that your Husband did the same thing when You got home. :sigh: You certainly are dealing with an awful lot with your family and then finding out your friend passed away. I'm sorry that you have been going thru this and feel so sad and alone. :friends:

In the hospital my BP was a whopping 70/40 and i think it even got down lower than that. I did tell them that my normal blood pressure was only 90/60 and when I was a younger person 70/40 was my normal BP but they were panicky. I wish you lived closer to me because I would have hopped on over there and taken care of you. It just breaks my heart when I think of how badly you were treated. I think ALL Dr's, Nurse's and PT people should be required to have surgery so they have an understanding just exactly how painful it really is. Obviously I'm just spouting off but the lack of compassion is mind blowing

I think you have every right to have a meltdown any time you feel the need. It's a very hard road to hoe by yourself and you have had quite an emotional time, not to mention an extraordinary physical assault to your body. Do people think your going to be up walking like nothing happened in a few weeks? Sheesh!

Sorry for the long diatribe. I hope you are feeling a bit better and sorry for my own meltdown on your behalf :snork:
 
We are here for you when you are ready and can handle it. Take care of yourself. :console2:
 
Donna, I have just read through your thread and I am so sorry that you have had such a rough time. It seems that you did not get our post op reading list, so I am going to include it now.

I am concerned that you have painful pt----the pt is your employee---you are paying him/her. I never had one moment of pain in pt and I certainly NEVER took a pain pill before I went to pt. I have a rom of 150---so, you do not need to endure pain to reach a proper rom. Be sure to read the articles on swelling---when your knee is swollen, it will not bend---that is just the way it is. When the inflammation and swelling subside, your rom will increase---and you have a year or more for that to happen. Nothing happens in a hurry or according to someone else's schedule---so, relax and let your poor knee heal.

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it

- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?


Progression of activity for TKRs
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain

Using ice -

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
Possum how are you doing. I hope things are progressing well for you and your pain is under control. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom