TKR RTKR 17 September 2013 possum_here Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Donna ... I agree with justacoach and Lee. Dress up for the ceremony (dress and shoes sound lovely by the way), and then change for the reception. I am sure anyone would understand that you would need to be comfortable and for pain reasons.

I can't get over the 5-hour physio sessions. Who on earth can do 5 hours of physio???? Even before the op, 2 hours in the gym would see me ready to lie flat for the rest of the day. If the physio with weights is hurting you, don't let them do it. Explain quite clearly that it hurts you and if they persist, then it is a form of assault. You can't keep coping with being hurt all the time.

Apart from that Donna, I hope things are going well for you and you are getting some support at home.

Take Care ...
Ellen
 
I seen my OS who is very happy with my progress. Stated to keep out of sun as my scar is already red and nasty. He was happy with my ROM and felt I am capable to stop PT. He agreed I should not be in pain after the PT.

I need an xray and will see him again in another month.

Said to reduce meds but when I told him what I take he was in shock. I guess Im on alot less then many I see at PT.
So Im on schedule and doing well.
 
Knee swelled up like a ballon yesterday after seeing OS. Had to medicate, elevate and ice. My ankle is now painful as if I sprained it. 8/10 pain. I did have to go do some shopping after Dr so maybe I just done too much?!

See how it is through the night and on waking.
 
[Bonesmart.org] RTKR 17 September 2013 possum_here Recovery Journey
possum_here, you are still just three months post op. This is ONLY 1/4th of the way through a 12 month recovery. Even if you get up in the morning feeling like you can take on the world----your knee can't and won't. You have to be aware of all your activity---and are you still elevating and icing? You probably should be.


It's so easy to seriously overdo when you're beginning to feel like you're returning to "normal". So take a couple of days off, ice and elevate. Then try to pace yourself carefully particularly now that we're into the Christmas season with so much going on.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Thanks Judy. I know as I gain more freedom more things are expected of me. It has not been an easy journey and I find if I plan the day I get thru it.

Just had my xrays and I am sure no one understands how hard it is to push some body to stand in a position that causes pain. My knee has swollen.

So elecated, ice and pain meds.
 
Question- does anyone have or had an egg shape lump protrude from the knee to outside edge of leg? I have on & off noticed this odd swelling always same spot. Most comfortable position for relief is to elevate straight leg and ice for 20 mins and then ice again should it not settle. I had to ice 3 times last night.

How can I settle this painful lump? Seriously do not want to go to the Physio as its a 5 hr session.
An looking at my X-ray my patella is in the wrong area. My Dr doesn't work tomorrow and the films are with me but the report is emailed.

I forgot to mention I informed the OS about my back pain after the spinal and his comment is a spinal doesnt cause pain as it is such a thin needle.
 
egg shape lump protrude from the knee
looking at my X-ray my patella is in the wrong area
How about some photos?
I forgot to mention I informed the OS about my back pain after the spinal and his comment is a spinal doesn't cause pain as it is such a thin needle.
Size of the needle has nothing to do with it! There are a number of relatively minor things can that leave the patient with back aches, minor and major. On the other hand, it could be due to fault gait or uneven weight bearing. Those are afar more common causes of low back pain than a spinal.
 
Back pain is more middle of my back. I have a L5 S1 disc problem from many years ago. The back pain I am experiencing is in the same area when I had the spinal and woke up with pain and bruising.

I have the pain weight and non weight bearing.

My knee pain from the lump settles when I elevate and ice. When I am sitting or have ambulated this bulge comes. To straighten my leg is painful but once straight it settles.

I will take a photo and upload in the gallery.
 
Hi Donna ... what a darn having something else to worry about in your lump and back pain. I certainly hope both soon resolve and you can just concentrate on the knee recovery.

Are you sure your patella is in the wrong area and not just in the right area, but you have become used to it being out of alignment, or dislocated? I don't know if this is even a "right" statement to make, maybe Josephine might be able to set me straight?

Have you read the report or been in contact with the OS about this yet?

Sending good wishes and hugs :console2: for a speedy resolution to both these additional problems.

Take Care ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Donna ... how is the back today? I hope it might be getting easier for you. Is the position of the patella still of concern?

Thinking of you ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone it has been a while since I last wrote. I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas & New Year. Progress has been slow this end :(

Still have swelling and ripping. The numbness has not improved either. My Gp had a good feel of the knee last week and said I'm looking at a good 12 months for it to settle. The adhesions are ripping and burning which is painful. My scar is thick and nasty and red.

I only need a cane when I am shopping.

I cannot squat, kneel or stand for any length of time as it swells quickly. My foot still swells too.
Back is still causing problems but all in all I manage.

Family problems have been so stressful after a visit from my grandchildren at Christmas. My sons ex has a new defacto and my grand daughter made a comment about him which I then went to the Police & Child Protection with. It is very stressful and my sons ex refuses me to see the children now. Her new boyfriend is a rock spider and my grandchildren are 4 & 1.

I needed somewhere to escape to so I am back. Hoping to hear how everyone is especially the sapphires.
 
Yikes! I looked up "rock spider" to be sure I had gotten the correct drift. You are right to be going to the police.
glad the GP looked at the scar--sounds like you're just taking a while for it to settle down. Some people's seem to do that faster than others.
 
Hi Donna ... welcome back to the forum. So sorry to read of the problems with the de facto and your grandchildren. You did the right thing though - even if you only suspected it - children have to be kept safe. Does your son see the children at all? Surely he can let you see them then. I hope something gets done about the de facto and Child Protection don't just let it lapse, like they seem to do a lot of the time.

You are having a rough trot with healing, but do you think that could have something to do with the fact that you take on so much around you? I know it is hard not to, but sometimes you just have to close yourself off for a while and look after the knee and YOU. It's great that you only need the cane when shopping, even with the problems you are having with the knee. I still use a crutch/cane all the time at home, when out etc.

I haven't even attempted to squat or kneel - I don't think I could get back up again if I knelt, so at least you have tried it.

AND the back problems - I really feel for you Donna. My hope is that soon - very soon - you will start to make great leaps of progress and won't have to worry about the physical problems so much.

Take care Donna - keep posting on the forum - everyone is such a great support ... Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Oh my dear I just caught up on your postings . I had not heard the term rock spider before .
Surely there must be a law prohibiting him from being around your grand children all children . What is wrong with the ex daughter in law ? Her state of mind must be unbalanced . Has this predator been reported?
All this and the other family problems must have caused so much extreme stress.


I had surgery sept 5 th . I had the spinal also no problems . I do remember my husband having complaints much the same as yours when he had a spinal for surgery back pain he hated the spinal .
I have not progressed as I wanted to .
 
Donna, so sorry to hear all that is going on in your life right now. God bless you for taking quick action to help those precious children. I hope your son is able to wretch them loose from the ex based on your report. Surely he can fix it so you can see them now and then. It's pretty obvious that the gal would be mad at you. I hope your son picks up the ball and keeps the pressure on.

Have you been back to see your surgeon lately? It might be a good idea to check in with him as well as your GP. Are you on any anti-inflammants for that swelling? Sometimes the inflammation can increase the creation of scar tissue, so it would be good to get a handle on that.
 
Hi everyone, here it is 11 mths postop. I feel terrible it has been so long since I have checked in. Recovery has been a long hard road. I dont take any medication for my knee. Stairs are my only problem going up, coming down is no issue. I do most things from pre surgery although on occassions I suffer from sharp pain at the top area above the knee. In one pacific area all the time it feels like something sharp is there. I still have no sensation on the outside of my leg and pain in my inside of my foot. Ive learned to tolerate the discomfort an accept this is as good as it gets.

Frustrated I cannot put my knee on the ground or even the bed :(

Health wise I have a breast lump just waiting for an ultrasound. Had my mammogram and they contacted the Dr. 51 now with a very high percentage of breast cancer on my Mothers side. So I will just remain calm and take what ever comes.

I hope everyone in the Saphires are coming along and their journey has been alot less stressful then mine?

I have decided to go back to work, had an interview yesterday at the hospital. Hoping to get into Mental Health as OT Assistant.

Anyway take care xxx
 
Welcome back :welome:, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you are not doing as well as you would like.
Hoping your breast lump turns out to be nothing to be concerned about.
Good luck with your return to work,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom