Guest viewing is limited

Meals to freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz6661

junior member
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
88
Age
58
Location
New England, United States
Gender
Female
Hopefully it is o.k. to post this here but I'm trying to come up with some meals to make ahead and freeze and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share any recipes or ideas. Thank you!
 
I made a huge batch of spaghetti sauce and froze it in plastic container portions. then popped them out and vacuum sealed them for easy use. Pasta cooks quick and bag'osalad and you have a meal. Lazagna freezes well and really is a complete meal all by itself. If you freeze meat put it in gravy. You will end up with a much better dish. Cookies freeze great and some oatmeal cookies with added dried fruit will serve you well post-op. Eat them with a cup of tea for some extra fiber which trust me you will need. Put in lots of dried fruit and a grated up apple. Plus the extra fluid from tea and anything you can get down will be essential. You won't have much appetite for a while. I am 12 weeks out and still don't have much appetite. Lost 20 ponds though. Chicken soup is good for everything and freezes well and reheats easy. Fresh fruit and raw veggies with a little ranch dressing to dip makes an easy healthy meal that can be transported in your carry pack and you can nibble quite a while without it getting all cold and soggy. Stock your favorite crackers and cheese. Check into an online market. You might be able to order online and pay and they deliver if you live in a big city.

Best wishes for your surgery.
 
I ended up not using what I froze. Like CyborgGran I lost my appetite. Stock up on snacky foods like cheese and crackers or soups. I also used online shopping and delivery for months post op. While you are on restrictions for lifting let the shop deliver the heavy stuff!
 
I did on- line searches for freezable meals and found some nice ones on the Prevention magazine web site. My daughter prepared some Mac and Cheese, Chicken tendrloins, a hearty soup and some mini crustless quiches. I have the soup recipe. It uses turkey sausage and white beans if that appeals to you, let me know. If I had it to do over, I would freeze everything in much smaller batches. My appetite was diminished and thawing out smaller servings rather than the whole batch would have been better.
 
Mac and Cheese - ultimate comfort food!
 
Yes very much a go with the flow for those first few weeks of limited appetite... But the frozen meals will always come in handy :)
 
Thanks everyone. I am thinking more about for my family then me. My husband will be in charge of feeding my two youngsters for a while so I thought if I don't plan ahead - they will be eating a lot of fast food and cereal for supper! I did request a few books from the library on this subject. I know I probably won't be hungry but the rest of the family will:umm:
 
Thank goodness for her indoors or I would look like a matchstick man so I don't have any of these worries.

Billy
 
Hopefully it is o.k. to post this here but I'm trying to come up with some meals to make ahead and freeze and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share any recipes or ideas. Thank you!

I'm so glad you started this thread. My husband is a doll and will take excellent care of me but his cooking is limited to... hot cereal. It's only the two of us so I need smaller portions.
I do spaghetti sauce. I cook a small amount of ground meat/freeze in a separate bag, add it for meat sauce lovers.
I always make Italian meatloaf in cupcake tins. They cook faster plus we thaw only what we need. I will be making these.
One of my favorites meals is cook down a chicken(baking hen) w/lots of vegetables for flavor. (on stovetop or in crockpot) We have the chicken in something for dinner and I have plenty of great, homemade chicken broth. I freeze the broth in plastic (disposable) cups. They are great for making a quick soup. (add noodles/vegies/canned chicken, etc.)

I also roll out dumplings, freeze them on a cookie sheet in a single layer. After frozen, break them in smaller pieces and store in freezer in bags. Thaw the broth, add canned chicken and drop in the dumplings! :tada: (even my husband can do this)
~~ This is not a freeze recipe but easy and quick for a snack or meal~~
Canned biscuits/apple slices/cinnamon/sugar(artificial sweetener)/cheese.
Press canned biscuits until flat, place a couple apple slices on top, sprinkle w/cinnamon&suger, sprinkle small amount of grated cheddar on very top. Bake at 375 just til biscuits are golden around edges. The reheat well, makes a great snack. (my grandbabies love to make them and eat them too)
Okay, after reading this, I now know why my waist is expanding. :headbang:
 
Thanks everyone. I am thinking more about for my family then me. My husband will be in charge of feeding my two youngsters for a while so I thought if I don't plan ahead - they will be eating a lot of fast food and cereal for supper! I did request a few books from the library on this subject. I know I probably won't be hungry but the rest of the family will:umm:

A great meal for kids to assist with,
1lb. ground beef (you could use any ground meat)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
barbeque sauce
cheddar or colby cheese
1/2 chopped onion (optional)
1-2 containers of canned bisquits. (refrigerated kind)

Cook ground beef w/onion, garlic and salt/pepper. Spray muffin/cupcake tins w/cooking spray.
Press a biscuit into each cupcake tin. Mix barbeque sauce into cooked ground beef according to taste. Spoon meat mixture into each tin, on top of biscuit, filling about 3/4 full. Sprinkle cheese over each and back at 375 for 10-15 minutes. Serve w/green salad or fruit. *easy for little hands to handle when cooled slightly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom