Guest viewing is limited

TKR RTKR 17 September 2013 possum_here Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
how are things now for you ? My heart went out to you with all the trouble you had in hospital..I was so happy with the nursing staff where I was, I wrote a letter to the local paper ! I hope you are well on the road to recovery X
 
I haven't had problems with foot pain, but my ankles hurt on occasion. I try to shift position, and keep elevating and icing. Hope your bp levels out soon. I understand how exhausting that is.
 
I think my experiencein hospital has taken me for a lot. I totally lost sight of everything my pain was not managed and with that alone one thing just added to another. I am ashamed by the lack of care or for the treatment. No one elevated my leg not once. My ice packs were just placed at my leg not even positioned in place. I was never asked how they felt because they actually can damage you the same as a heat pack.

I left hospital agaist the Dr wishes because I hoped to feelmore support in my own surroundings. BIG MISTAKE.

Owen is helping the best he can and Ive snapped at him so badly tonight Ive come to bed to be alone.
Pure frustration.
 
that is appalling....my heart goes out to you..what can I say....I can't even imagine what you went through X
 
Possum, how are you this morning. You have had such a rough beginning and with the stress of the surgery and the pain you have limited reserves left. Hopefully, your husband will understand though you might have to explain it to him. Most men need detailed instructions as to what you need and when and how to do it. They just do not understand but also this may be other people unless they have gone through this surgery. It is tiring to feel bad and in pain and still have to manage those around us. It will get better, just being in familiar surroundings with access to your pain meds when you need and not have to ring the buzzer for a nurse. Also, our emotions tend to be all over the place right now and I find for myself I am easily upset and easily ticked off - hard to have control.

Hang in there, it will get better. Part of the learning to be patient with our own recovery is to be patient with the people around us - both equally hard at times.

We are here for you to let of steam and anything else since we all have been there or are there and understand.
 
Hope things improve for each day!! Best of luck to you....
 
Oh Donna, My heart goes out to you. This experience is so hard and intense even withvthe best of care. I had a difficult time with my husband when I cane home. Every morning it was the same. I would have to ask for my coffee, ask for my ice to be refreshed, (after I would get up between 4am and 6am to refresh it myselfcso as not to bother him while sleeping) then ask for breakfast. It was upsetting......how hard was it to figure out? Those three things in that order every morning? I finally snapped one morning, it was not a good morning for either of us. At that point, I prayed for patience for both of us. You know, from that moment on.....he's been wonderful and I've been more understanding and patient with him. The male species does need to be told everything.

This has been the most difficult experience of my life, prayer and the presence of the Lord is how I'm getting through each day. There have been times that the pain was more than I could handle.....I asked for it to be taken away.......it wasn't until I accepted his will......that the pain was not removed, but a calm that I cannot describe came over me and a strength to deal with the pain replaced the agony.

I'm praying now that even in the midst of the pain you are able to feel aand allow the Lord's strength, comfort and peace to take you through each day. One day at a time, one moment at a time.
May God bless you and give you the strength in this very difficult time.
My love goes out to you,
 
I am so tired of feeling I need to be in control, i need to control meds Owen decided I should have to ask for them. Can you inagine my heightened anxiety. I made up my meds in one of those packs so I could keep track at each part of the day. I kept calm and said can you please return my meds, Im think I am qualified to give my own meds.

After all I have duct tape hokding my dressing on because he refused to drive me 5 mins back to the hosp to have a new dressing put on. Im about at the end of my teether. I msg a gf when she finishes her shift this afternoon to go home have a kip and then can she take me to the hosp.

I know this is so out there but I am going to adk to be re-admitted. I cannot recover in this situation and Im afraid of infection. Who denies someone correct medical care and duct tape a sterile dressing instead of returning them to have a dressing put on. My dressing is about 7 inches long but I havent got one here or Id do a sterile dressing myself.

Ive tried calmly to discuss this and the importance of the surgery I have needs that are being over looked. My option is not straight forward but I have to look after me if no one is going to try and help.

My exercises are not progressing due to the swelling but least I am icing and elevating.

Thank you for All your kind words, I do not want to bore you with my problems but I sincerely hope no one has had to go through any of these situations cause it has been no walk in tbe park.
 
I hope they will re-admit you, you're right you can't recover in that environment. I feel so awful for what you have been going through. I pray things will turn around for you so you can start progessing in your recovery.

We're all wishing the very best for you. This a place you can vent in any way you need.
God Bless.
 
For anyone reading my story please do not feel disheartened by my journey so far. Think of the positive things for they are what I am trying to focus on. I am 50 i have overcome surgery and have a lovely new American knee made by Visionaire. So my plus is Im a mixture of Australian with a little American thrown in. Seeing I have many american friends I think thats kind of cool :)

Im only in my early days so Im sure I will get it sorted in the coming weeks, what pain I feel now is no different to anyone else at this stage.
Ive had set backs but I know I will get there. If it takes a little longer then thats ok. I know this is the beginning of my journey there may be struggles but in the end I will not let this define me.
 
Hi possum - know that you are in my prayers and thoughts. I am so so sorry that you have to suffer so unnecessarily. It is heart breaking to read about your pain and care. hope you find relief soon. Please take care of yourself first and let us know how you make out!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
possum_here. I am so sorry to hear about how the hospital is terribly treating you. There must be someone who can help you straighten the staff out. Doesn't your doctor visit you? What kind of doctor leaves their patient in such horrible care? I will say a prayer for you to get better care and for your BP and temperature straighten out. Please keep us updated.

Take care.


Sent from my presidential platinum ODIC iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Is there some kind of visiting nurse service in your area? They could come and deal with your bandage and make sure everything's ok.
 
@kneeper- we do have a home nursing service and I actually thought I would have had the service offered but maybe Im not old rnough for it. Seeing TKR are not usually done here at 50.

I had to send dh to the chemist this morning although I have been taking meds to help prevent any problems. Eating prunes, nothing had happened for several days except wind. So when I woke this morning and thought about it I haven't had a BM since Thursday. We are now Monday.

My knee is so sore today and waking with it feeling stiff is not a good start to the day.

I also have not had a proper hot meal since I left hosp. I feel very neglected and would gladly go back to hosp.
 
Visiting nursing is usually not age dependent but need dependent. You might need to talk to your doctor to see if they would order it. If your husband is not a cook, is there anywhere you can order food he can pick up -many restaurants will box up even if usually they do not offer that service. Any of your grocery stores have sections that have prepare food that can be hot. You might have to give explicit instructions to your hubby or call the restaurants yourself if you can. My husband, this time, is depending on many a frozen meal from the freezer section or pre cooked food from the grocery store or take out.

Is there any other family members or friends near by that could give him some pointers or prepare something for you. I feel so bad for you, first bad treatment in the hospital and now at home. Hugs going your way.
 
I have my fist 5 hour session with Physio tomorrow, OMG!! How am I going to survive this one?

The Os wants a report from the physio so that will be filled in as required,

My life could not be turned upside down any more then I thought it could be. Late this afternoon my walls became so much closer I couldnt see a door way. My 20 yr old told me he needs help he is using Ice. I hate drugs and what it can do to a family. Im seriously not in a physical shape to kick butt I can sure do some work behind the scene.

A problem I did not want right now but I can assure you by close of business tomorrow. My son will be booked into our Doctor and the mental health unit at the local hosp. Ive already been through the self harm when he was about 14-15 I will be on this one like a whirl wind. I have more kids in this area from the age of 15 to 28 who quiver when they know I know their names.

The local Police know me by name ( in a good way ) as im not scared to stand up for what is right and if someone is dealing and I find out then I dont hesitate to let to authorites know. My own sons know their not excluded,

There is only one wau to clean up this town and thats talking up. If you keep quiet your ad bad ad the dealers.

Im due for some more medication and elevate my leg, ive been on it too long tonight.

Sorry to bent thid tonight thanks for listening xx
 
Possum, you are having more than you share of problems. My thoughts are with you and I hope your son can kick his problem. Such a waste when the young hide in drugs instead of living. Make sure you take care of yourself also.
 
No matter how much pain moms are in we will always take care of our babies first. I wish you strength in this journey. Peace and love too!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Donna, My continued thoughts are with you as you deal with so much. Prayers for God's strength to get you and your family through this very difficult time.

I have my fist 5 hour session with Physio tomorrow, OMG!! How am I going to survive this one?
WOW! 5 hours of PT!!!! I can't imagine. I hope there is a lot of time allotted for rest duri ng that time. I can't imagine! The longest any of mine has been is 90 minutes. That was with resting in between exercises and (waiting on the therapist while he worked with someone else) and 15 minutes of ice at the end.

I hope it goes well for you.
All my best to you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom