TKR RTKR 17 September 2013 possum_here Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sorry you are being so poorly managed, sounds like the method of anaesthesia was forced on you too. One of the benefits of that is supposed to be the extra pain relief, which is supposed to last for the first 24 hours, so you shouldn't have been feeling that amount of pain so soon, in fact you should never be in so much pain....your pain relief should be managed...their being busy is no excuse...the 17 patientswill be split between nurses, and they won't all have just had their surgery either! Hope they sort it out pronto, and that the night staff will be more caring. go well, will look out for your next post :b :groan:
 
Still not in control of pain. Doesnt help when staff decide to NOT give you the pethadine that is wrote up. I almost have to plead for it. I havent been sitting out of bed either. My OS told me I have to bend my knee he cant do that for me.

I still have the cath in, seriously there would be a mess without it. There is no way I will make the bathroom. I have a canula in my arm but no fluids are going in so it could come out.

Im bruised my foot has noticeable swelling. I expect physio to be here soon. So far this is not a lot of fun. High temps too, low BP.

I will get there eventually.
 
I am appalled at the treatment you are receiving, what is the reasoning the nurses are giving you for not giving you the prescribed medication? And if they are not giving you the pethedine, what are they giving you instead? Amazed that you haven't been up yet and walking a few steps, the physio should sort that out today, once you have walked a little bit and been to the bathroom, I bet you will feel a bit better. I had to be helped out of bed for a day or two before I could do it alone. They had to come in any case to unhook me from the pressure boots, before I could get out of bed. The cannula will still behere in case the want to give you any medication iv. I was having precautionary antibiotics for the firs 3 days so it stayed in for that once iv fluids had been stopped. Do hope you have a better day today, that the physio helps sort things out and that you are better cared for. Hope to that your temp settles down, how high? My bp dipped too a bit in the early days, but all was fine. Will check back later go well! :friends:
 
Hey Donna,
Hope you are having a better day! Hang in there girl to me this was the worse part once you get home you will begin to feel better. Just remember slow and easy and ice and elevate! I will be watching your recovery! Hugs to you!
Just me, Linda
 
I hope you have a better day today. The nurses may be stretched thin but you shouldn't have to pay for it. :(
 
My BP is 79/46 temp 38.9. Feeling sore and sorry.
 
Still having issues with post surgery. BP is too low,
 
Possum hang in there, I am sure your doctor is looking at how to address this issue. Hard to do anything when your BP is that low. I will keep you in my thoughts. Lee
 
Oh I'm really sorry that you have a high temp and low bp Donna, that is really too bad, you must be feeling really rough..do hope they get this sorted out, and that you will soon start to feel better...we're rooting for you!! :console2:
 
Thanks everyone. RN contacted Dr last night as BP still too low. My OS has me charted for Endone and as I am allergic to morphine that nurses are not giving it to. So each shift change they ask why Im not on Endone. Its an ongoing response, I havent had it before. Staff are considering my allergies.

Bruising is coming out more now esp behind my righ knee. Its black and blue.

My exercises are hard with my limited ROM. But its just a slow process.

I hope everyone else is going well who are in the sapphire group. Thank you all for your kind words of support. I teally appreciate everyone.
 
Sorry for any spelling mistakes Im writing without my glasses and after a peth injection.
 
It was good to see your posts on the recovery side. I had been looking for you since your surgery date. I hope they get your BP/Temp straightened out soon so you feel better.
 
We do not have physio on today but Still getting up bacause I need the bathroom. I am feeling pretty tired so will grab a nap. Each day is different and so are the staff. Hope everyone is going ok. Take care.
 
I buzz the staff for pain meds. They bring me up peth an nurse says this is taking too long you should be over this pain by now. You shouldnt need ANYTHING she says.
 
Either Im in pain or Im not, who is she to make me geel worse yhen I do,

Feeling very lonely. Might sign myself put tomorrow and just go cold turkey. Cause obviously I am expecting medication when Im in pain. Should have leg elevated and more ice. Too get ice you'd think I was getting them to freeze it from their cold hearts.

If I nursed like this to ANY patient Id resogn.

98% unzatisified

Please bear with me why I have a whinge and a little melt down
 
Does your hospital have anything like a patient advocate? This seems like the sort of situation for which, at the very least, that nurse needs to be held accountable to her superiors. It sounds so much like you're in the middle of an environment where people are taking the attitude, "If only it wasn't for those darned patients our jobs would be so much easier."
 
Oh I do feel for you Donna, and I am ashamed of my erstwhile profession! My goodness, pain is what the patient says it is! If she thinks you shouldn't, be in pain (which is ridiculous), then it is her job, to find out why, and do everything she can to make you more comfortable. Sounds like this is a case for PALS as teedee says, a patient advocacy liaison service, as I can see a well justified complaint coming the hospitals way, once you are out of there and are feeling better!! :console2:
 
Speak to your doctor or have someone in you family call him. The same goes for asking to speak to the Patient Advocate or Chief of NUrsing or any other system in your hosptial for patient complaint process. You should not have to be in pain and no one should tell you that you should not need pain meds - that nurse needs to be dealt with because she is not just affecting you and your recovery but many other patients. If you do not have the energy, do you have anyone in your family- your husband perhaps who would do this?
 
There should be some kind of binder or handout in your room that has some of these kind of phone numbers.
 
You should be able to just call the main hospital number and get the operator to connect you to whomever you need.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom