Guest viewing is limited

BTKR or TKR: How did you decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBs_Knees

new member
Joined
Oct 20, 2011
Messages
3
Location
US - South Carolina
My BTKR is less than a month away (11/16/11) and I'm still wondering, "Is BTKR really the way to go?" I haven't found a list that weighs the pros and cons of tackling both knees at once on this fantastic site. I hope you'll all weigh in on how you made your decision to go with BTKR (or not?). :scratch:
 
Hi, TBs_Knees.....welcome to BoneSmart!

You know, this topic has been discussed a number of times here on the forum. But usually it all boils down to your individual situation and the feelings of your surgeon. There are benefits to a bi-lateral - one surgery, less overall cost, one recovery that gets you on your way faster than dealing with one after another.....these are just a few of the plus factors.

Some of the negatives would be the longer time you must be under anesthetic as well as a recovery that might be slightly longer and/or more challenging with both knees instead of having one strong leg.

But.....all things considered, almost everyone who has a bi-lateral knee replacement is glad they went that direction. I'm sure you'll hear from folks soon who can provide some personal experience and their opinions. I encourage you to trust your decision knowing that you did your research prior to making it. You're going to be just fine.
 
For me, it was the simple situation---I knew that both knees needed to be done and I wanted to regain my life ASAP. I asked my OS and he said that I was in good enough shape and that he would do it. I wanted to regain my active life as soon as I could. My thinking was, "If I am going to have both knees done, why not have them replaced at the same time.?"

Looking back, it was the right choice, but, as Jamie pointed out, it does have its drawbacks. Recovery was longer for me ---and I went back to school too soon, so that slowed it down even more.

I had one surgical event, one recovery, one hospital stay, and no waiting for one to heal and to progress so that I could get the other one done.

Challenging? Most definitely. Frustrating? For quite some time. Worth it? Without a doubt.
 
Looking back, I can see how hard it could have been to make a choice as to whether or not to do both at once.

But, pretty much, my Doctor put the Bilateral on the table and I took it and didn't think twice about it. I did think twice about doing anything to my knees. But I don't think my other knee could have held up my new knee. I think, for me, two new knees were better than one bummed knee and one new knee.

The surgery itself went very well. Only was under anesthesia for less than 2 hours. The first few days getting in and out of the bed was tough. I was afraid, scared, and all that. But had to look forward and not back.

So, it's hard to tell someone else what to do. A lot of Doctors won't do two. But I think my Doctor did the best for me, which is to do both. I actually can't imagine doing it the other way. I think people who do them apart deserve a lot of credit too!

I think if I were you, I would pin down the Dr. and ask him/her what the pros and cons are. They tend to not like to talk too much about the surgery so you may learn a lot by what he has to say. Good luck with your surgery.
 
Just a word from someone who chose to do them about 5 months apart.
My reasons, I live alone in a two story house, seemed like recovery would e too much of a challenge by myself..

I am now in my 5th week pot op knee#2. Doing great knee1 is terrific.. I truly forget it is there.. Knee two is moving right along ROM 125. Started riding my bike outdoors last week. 11 miles is my long ride so far..

That said, at week two I was kicking myself for going through this a second time.

Bottom line, toss up, depends on your personality, willingness to be dependent on others(bilateral). Statistically maybe a little more risk.. But you only go though it once!!!

If your do doc is willing, you have help and your a tough guy. Do it!
 
Welcome to the forum. You will find this a wonderful, positive place and get lots of good info and answers to your questions.

I went to my OS in May and requested that both knees be done at the same time. And I will be having both done, but having two surgeries three days apart-the first for my left knee (the worst) on Monday the 24th and the second for my right knee on Thursday the 27th. I would have had it done sooner, but I needed to wait until grass mowing season was over.

I decided to have both done so that I would have only one hospital stay, one inpatient rehab stay, and one recovery period. My hubby is a semi-invalid who can walk for only short distances and stand for short periods of time with a walker. So doing this all at once seemed the best option for me.

I am quite sure that somewhere around Thanksgiving I will be feeling anything but thankful and asking myself why on earth I ever decided to do it. But this too shall pass, and things will get better and better.

There are, ofcourse, horror stories, but most of us will have very positive outcomes. Somehow the negative always gets the most air time no matter what it may be about. I have just always believed that if you're having trouble seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, you just need to strike a match. When I feel really discouraged, I make myself take a timeout to count my many blessings.

Just go for it!
 
If you decide on BTKR, start thing on how you are going to arrange your house including the bathroom. Your mobility is going to a struggle. Getting cleaned up in the morning becomes a big chore.
It is your call, you know what is important in your life.
Best of luck,
David
 
TBs_knees,
When my doc asked me which knee I wanted to have done first I asked him if he would do them both at the same time. He said he would but would not recommend it for me. Said complications can more than double. He said he would do them a month a part. When he said that it just sounded right to me. I am almost 8 weeks out from my first one and almost 3 weeks out from my second one. I now can't imagine having them both done at the same time, I am quite heavy so getting my weight up out of a chair with just one knee done has been a real challenge. I now can get myself up by myself and am glad I am as far along as I am. I believe this was the right thing for me but everyone has to decide for themselves with their OS's recommendations.

Good luck with your decision.
 
Flip a coin. :loll:......... Just kidding. I see nothing that screams to do it one way or the other. The only two considerations that are of real importance is your OS's recommendation and your frame of mind. Whichever way you choose or go :scratch:........it will be fine for you and the outcome is the same. :dancy: Good luck.
 
My BTKR is less than a month away (11/16/11) and I'm still wondering, "Is BTKR really the way to go?"
I, like you, am pre-op with BTKR scheduled Dec 6th.

My doc says that at 59 I am young enough and fit enough (nothing special there, trust me) that it's fine to do both.

I wouldn't want the extra time between ops, I'd feel like I was holding my breath. Get it done, get into recovery.

I'll let you know in 2012 if that was right... oh no, you're before me. Look forward to your view later!
 
Roy,

Mine was due to chance of infection and I was so glad that we did them seperately! My first one went well except for the MRSA pnuemonia :th_heehee: and 2 1/2 months later I had the 2nd one done and MRSA attacked my knee. I have one great knee and one good knee, right now so I can't complain!:biggrin:
 
I think for me it boiled down to one knee being in desperate need and the other one being several degrees better. I think also with the RA, the doc wanted to focus on one surgery and one recovery at a time. It may be this summer or another year or more for the 2nd knee. I also think from my perspective given the fatigue etc with the RA & fibromyalgia, it probably made good sense re: the recovery.
But a lot of people on the forum have done great with the btkrs.
 
I was talking with my husband about this very topic today and he concluded that I would have probably gone for a BTKR if I had needed it. It would be a bigger recovery but at least it would be over in one operation rather than two.
 
Thanks to all of you for sharing your decision process. Reading all your experiences is very helpful in preparing for surgery. :thumb:

I'm going forward with the BTKR. For me, the decision factors were:

My doc says I'm a good candidate, healthy and in good enough shape.

I have a support team that's willing to care for me through a little longer recovery period. :console:

Can do attitude - I rather climb a steeper hill one time than go through this ordeal twice. :dancy:
Probabilities of infection seem to be the same. 1X2 = 2X1. :umm:

There's a slightly higher risk re: clotting, but risk is controllable.

Total time away from work may be less. :sleepz:

Total time under anethesia should be less.

Wish me luck! :prayer1:
 
Good job with the analysis. That and the excellent communication you've had with your surgeon are the keys to success. I'm betting you'll do just fine.
 
Good luck and good input for your anlysis. With your attitude and support of your OS you will be in good shape. One thing that I cosnidered some but found to be very imprtant later was the recovery process and how your whole body needs to get back in balance. Having both done at once I think makes that process easier to accomplish.
 
Tbknees, I am glad you have made your decision, I am sure it is the right one for you. Wish you all the luck and prayers:prayer1:
 
They both have their benefits, so I guess you have to weigh any negatives. If I had to come up with one against BTKR, it would be that you have no way knowing beforehand the actual skill or expertise of the Surgeon. So if he does a lousy job, at least if you only do one, he can only screw up one and you only have to correct one. Not a desirable thought, but still a consideration. Hey, someone has to be the Devil's advocate.:sigh:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom