Guest viewing is limited

THR My new anterior hip procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

staceyjp

new member
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
1
Location
United States
I just had my left hip replaced on January 6th,2012.My Dr used the Anterior Supine Procedure. I am 15 days post op and everyone says I am doing great. I am walking with a cane though can walk without one but not without limping. I have had Home Health care and their Physical Therapy and start Outpatient Physical Therapy tomorrow. My Dr says this type of surgery heals so much quicker. I would like to hear from people who have actually had their hips replaced. Thanks
 
Hi Staceyjp
Welcome to BoneSmart. I had my THR (left) almost 7 weeks ago, direct anterior. I am recovering very well. Already working around the house for about 4 hours at a time (remodeling work - tearing down walls and building new ones, I am a contractor).

I do suffer from pain, but it is unrelated to the new hip. It is from a badly damaged piriformis muscle in my left glut. The OS surgically released it from my femur after removing my femoral head, as it was badly damaged from the accident which precipitated my THR. If not for this pain, I would feel like I could do almost anything at this point in time. I am not going to PT. Just riding my recumbent stationary bike and working around the house is my PT (OS approved). The minimally invasive direct anterior approach is amazing! I am glad I learned of it and found the OS/clinic that I did. I hope your recovery continues onward in a positive path.
Andy
 
Hi, Stacey....welcome to BoneSmart! I hope you spend some time reading in the recovery forum about all the BoneSmarties who have come before you in this surgery. There are some great stories of recovery....many with the approach you have had done.

It sounds to me like you're doing really well. Do continue to use at least a cane while you still have that limp. It helps to have the support and then your body doesn't "learn" to limp as you're recovering. It takes a while for the muscles to strengthen enough for the limp to go away.
 
Welcome Stacey

I had a different surgical approach, so can't comment about yours.

But certainly be cautious about getting too far ahead of yourself with rehab, not trying to dampen your spirits or enthusiasm :) but the actual process of cutting bone and replacing with a prosthesis is the same no matter what approach and bone, ligaments and soft tissue will heal in it's own good time frame.

Regarding using the cane, as Jamie said if you are limping you are altering your gait and it is very important to keep that stable for the future.

Good luck with your recovery though, you are doing very well :)
 
Welcome Stacey! Good for you on getting yourself a shiny new hip! I second what Jamie and Sandy and Andy have said. It is major surgery and will take up to a year (or more for some of us :wink1:) to totally recover.

Patience is a real factor in recovery as well. A body can only heal as fast as a body can heal, no matter how good you feel, so be patient and you will be a happy hippy :th_heehee:.

Best of luck and please keep us posted! You have found a great forum!
 
Hi Stacey I had thr 26 days ant approach also. My challenge is working on my gait and managing referred muscle pain. My energy is low and I haven't a lot of endurance yet. This is my second thr. We all heal at different rates. Good luck:-) Cindyluwho
 
Hallo, Stacey,

Well, you seem to be doing fine so far. Already walking without a stick is good. Doing this is something of a double edged weapon in my experience. Certainly it feels fine to think you are on the way to full independence. If, however, you demonstrate this to friends and family, all but the most sensitive and imaginative of them will come to the conclusion that you are completely mended, and the sad truth is that they are wrong because there is a long way to go. We make the mistake of thinking that there will be bags of sympathy, but in reality the sympathy levels will subside. We have to be very self contained. If we want to weep and rage and express frustration when things seem to be moving slowly, or even backwards, then where we are now is a good place to come. We all know what the various stages feel like, more or less; I have to say that because even in the ranks of the strugglers there are still wide variations.

So keep using that stick. It may not attract sympathy towards you but what it will do is to keep that gait straight. The situation may need to be reviewed when you start forgetting the wretched thing, leaving it in a theatre, restaurant, bus shelter. If you lose it altogether this may be construed as a good sign, but you may still need to buy another one, or do some awkward explaining to the hospital if it is their stick.

Lots of luck and patience!

All the best, Alan
 
Alan you just nailed it about becoming self contained. People think a hip is like a car part once its replaced we should be fixed. Woe is me if I can't run a marathon in 4 weeks. Am I lazy or not doing rehab right? ?? Cindylu :-)
 
Hi Stacy, Congratulations on your excellent recovery so far. I also has DAA and am just shy of 10 weeks post op. I have been very pleased with the speed of my recovery. Highlights are - back to work at 3 1/2 weeks which meant taking the NYC subway, lost the cane at 8 weeks and am now starting to experiment with dancing. If you want more detail, please visit my thread. Remember that we all have to go at our own pace. One rule of thumb I followed was borrowed from my tango instructor - always walk with elegance. So I never have up a walking aid until I could do so without a limp. I have also read other threads where the importance of good walking habits was discussed. Good luck to you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom