One Year TKR Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel

junior member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
82
Location
Wisconsin
Gender
Female
Country
United States United States
I just wanted to post a one year update on my knee replacement. I can’t believe that it has been a year already! While my recovery hit many bumps, looking back I can see that it was a slow but relatively steady progression. My OS had told me upfront that it took a year for recovery, and that was reinforced here when I found all of you after surgery. Like many of you, I tried to do too much, too soon, and took many steps backwards before I found myself moving forward. I realized one day that my knee wasn’t the first thing I thought of when I got out of bed in the morning!

During this summer, I walked on a sandy beach – without pain or unsteadiness! I also danced at my son’s wedding – what joy! I attended sporting events, climbing up many steps to get to my seat. It has been truly remarkable.

That is not to say that I haven’t had any pain, because I do, but it is occasional, and always when I have done too much – too much sitting in the car, too much standing in one spot, too many steps, etc. Ice and elevation are still part of my daily routine, as is a prescription anti-inflammatory. I saw the OS yesterday for a one year check-up and the x-rays and knee look great. I don’t have to go back for two years unless I have problems.

So, there is light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a long process but I can finally say that I think it was all worth it!
I have checked in here on a periodic basis and am sorry to read about so many on here that continue to struggle – you are in my thoughts and prayers
 
Thanks Kel for your lovely positive report - it does help to hear from people like you who are now enjoying your new knees!:biggrin:
 
Thanks Kel for a lovely positive post. At present I love to read a good story as I am due for a TKR in November. Thanks again and enjoy your new knee!
 
Hey there, Kel. Good to see you. Lovely report and thanks for popping in to post it. You know how essential these reports are. :thumb:
 
Hi Kel
Thanks for being real about discomfort in the knee at one year out. I am one of those out there suffering and I appreciate it.
I am very glad you have resumed your life, as I had until I got a smack down from my back.
I'm thrilled for all those out there who are "Pain free", but I like to know there are still people whose knee still givs a hint here and there.
Sandy
 
Kel....great report!!! It means so much for our "newbies" to hear that life can be very rewarding after surgery and recovery. Your words are soooo welcome!
 
Good Job Kel!!
I too feel as though I am starting to get there, finally after 1.5 years.
It has been a brutal experience to say the least.
Very difficult..for me and my wife and the constant worry that something isn't quite right.. w.the healing process, etc..
I'm sure you all know what I mean about that..
I probably need my other not so good knee done now too ,
but can barely stand even the thought of having to go through it all again..
 
I love hearing this Kel!! Sometimes on the darker days, when I feel like this is NEVER going to be over, it is wonderful to hear these "success" stories. I think I am getting there, slowly but surely. It has just been an achingly slow process. @ lionsm 13...your story is the probably the biggest reason that no matter what, I am glad I did both knees at the same time. As truly horrible as it has been, it is done. I cannot imagine ever having to go through it again. Best of luck to you.
 
Best of luck to you too carlene.
It is and has been a tough thing to go through and takes a lot of starch out of one that's for sure.
I think that is definately added a few years to me..and not in so much of a good way either, LOLOL..
It was hard..and I truly do not want to repeat it..if at all possible...

I went to see a lymphodema person through my hospital, wore a special made garment which is/was basically a custom made for me $100 dollar nylon but it did help a great deal w/the swelling. I wore out one and ordered another one..even .

It may help you too being on your feet all the time, but you have to get fitted for them and then their made in Germany.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom