TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jo,

Sounds like you are doing great. Those stairs are a tricky thing for most of us. Take it slow and easy and you'll do fine, remember up with the Good, down with the bad.

I didn't have much of a choie but to tackle stairs the minute I got home 13 of them just to get in the house. I did the once a day method for quite some time and someone was always there with me when I tackled the steps. It will come even though it doesn't seem like it right now.
 
Hi, Jo -

It sounds like things are going well at this stage. I had no problems sleeping in the early weeks but I seemed to get less sleep when my energy level came back. I agree with Goodasnew - it is pure heaven to sleep on my sides again. It seems like I can flip around very easily with no problems for "Neil".

Congratulations on doing the steps! I had to go up three steps without a railing and our bedroom is up a 14-step staircase. I'm now trying to switch bad/good legs to get ready for the next round. It's so nice to see my right leg go up steps with nary a problem. Very mentally challenging to switch, however! what:
 
Thanks for the feedback from everyone - I'm glad it's normal to be fearful of stairs; I don't feel a total wimp now! Pleased to report I went up and down reasonably well today with no wobbles :thumb:

Deeden - I love my old house but I can assure you I have been swearing out loud at all the stupid little trip steps that are dotted around. Nearly every room has a wooden strip or something, due to different levels on the floors. I have limited myself to the kitchen, living room, hall and toilet to keep safe. You wouldn't think someting that rises about 1" off the ground could end up being the enemy! All part of the challenge I guess?!!
 
Wow Barb, steps without a rail, I wouldn't like that! I am hoping my sleep pattern stays on track and sleeping on my side - can't wait!
 
Hi Jo

You seem to be doing fantastically, I am really pleased for you. It is great you are managing stairs so well and I am so jeaous of your sleep pattern. At 6 and a bit weeks I have only really slept about 2 nights for about 6 hours, most nights I wake up several times, not in any great pain but just uncomfortable because I have moved in my sleep but I know with trial and error it will get better. Keep up the good work Jo.

Linda
 
Any chance on putting up a handrail in the missing area? Also, are you using crutches at all? I am up and down the stairs all the time, but wouldn't be as comfortable without the crutches for support.
 
Jo! Welcome to recovery! Wow, more than a week out already. Sounds like things are going really well--little hiccups, but nothing major. I slept great for about the first 6 or 7 weeks until I started taking less narcotics--so I know it was the drugs that were helping me sleep. But you aren't taking much of anything, so maybe the good sleep will hang around for you. :sleep: I hope things continue to be uneventful because I know you will be able to provide a lot of support and encouragement to those who will soon be following you down this road. :thumb: So happy that all of that pre-op anxiety is behind you!
Niki
 
Richkat2 - thanks for your feedback. I am using crutches all the time and doing the stairs with them. I really should of thought of a handrail but I always thought I would manage. I shall persevere and see.

Hi Linda, I really hope the sleeping pattern stays with me but it's early days I know.

Hi Jo, yes made it over at long last and thanks for all the reading tips. I do keep reading them over and over again - so helpful.

Hi Niki, Thanks for your kind words. It's so good to have had the surgery and all the pre-op stress behind me.
 
Don't even look at the kitchen Jo - you know how much mess a man can make just to produce cheese on toast????? They seem to have to use every piece of equipment in the kitchen then leave it all in the sink waiting for the washing up 'fairy' to appear!:th_heehee:
 
Jo,
congrats to you for venturing out. The stairs are always a problem for most. Have you tried using a front wheel walker for the stairs. That will give you the stability and assurance you need to get up and down the stairs with no handrails. simply put the walker sideways and lean into it. Works like a charm. Crutches are good as well but they become taller than your shoulders when trying the stairs. Keep up the good work.:biggrin:
 
Don't even look at the kitchen Jo - you know how much mess a man can make just to produce cheese on toast????? They seem to have to use every piece of equipment in the kitchen then leave it all in the sink waiting for the washing up 'fairy' to appear!:th_heehee:

:hysterical: Excellent advice!!!!
 
Update on day 12

Yesterday not a good day for me!!!! At about 1.00 pm I took a fall and landed flat on my face and I can't say how it happened. I think I stumbled a little with my foot and then got confused, lost my balance with the crutches and just fell. I was so upset and frightened. My husband came running upstairs to find me in a mess. I managed to get on my bottom and get to the bed. Thankfully my new knee seemed to survive with no problems but the other knee took the landing and is a little sore; nothing much. I felt so low last night and my confidence has had a huge knock. I have stopped using the crutches and I'm using a walking frame (my Mum's), I feel this is really a step backwards but until my confidence has returned I will play it safe.

I had my first physio at the hospital today. I was pleased to be going so they could check my knee. He said it all looked good and if I had done any damage it would showing!!!! He told me to try and put the incident out of my head and to try and practice again with the crutches. He was not impressed when he saw me with the frame :what: but understood my worries. He checked me walking with crutches and said my technique was good, so I will have to be brave (maybe in a couple of days!).

I was a little concerned going for physio - some of the stories have been worrying. He was great with me, so I think I will be fine with him. He said he does not believe in "No Pain, No Gain" ethics, so all good on that front. He wants me to really work on my extension as I have a nice 20 deg bend at the moment :sigh: - he said my hamstrings are so tight and he advised on a couple of excercises. He said as I had a bad limp and a bent knee before the op it is likely to be a long hard job to get the hamstrings back in shape. He also did some hands on work that was just about bearable. My ROM also needs some work as all the muscles are tight around the joint, when he had finished it was 90 deg. By the time I walked out of his room my knee was feeling much easier. I was amazed as I was expecting it to be feeling really sore but it felt good. He did say it might be a little sore tonight but I am doing what all good bonesmarties do and that is icing and elevating :biggrin:.

So after such an awful day yesterday, today has turned out not so bad :thumb: A word of warning to anyone with a new knee - please be careful how you walk with those horrible crutches, take it very slow and easy.

A note to Roy - when I posted this morning about you getting on the floor to do an excercise, I did think to myself well I do know another way to get down there but not the ideal way!
 
Oh Jo, how frightening to fall, but lucky you could get it checked today. The physio sounded good and helpful. I nearly fell in hospital using the zimmer frame when I got one of the legs tangled up with a chair leg, so maybe it was more of a taffle than using the crutches.

Take a deep breath and get your confidence back.
 
Whew! Scary to fall, glad you are OK. Use walker or crutches, which ever you are most comfortable using.
 
Jo, glad you are OK. I know that falling is a fear for all of us, not only that will we get hurt, but will be able to get back up! :th_heehee: Your confidence will return pretty quickly I'm sure. Seems like your physio went really well, your therapist sounds like a keeper! I often felt better afterwards too, though I was definitely tired. Keep up the good work! :thumb:
 
He wants me to really work on my extension as I have a nice 20 deg bend at the moment :sigh: - he said my hamstrings are so tight and he advised on a couple of excercises. He said as I had a bad limp and a bent knee before the op it is likely to be a long hard job to get the hamstrings back in shape. He also did some hands on work that was just about bearable.
You don't have to sit on the floor to do hamstring stretches, sit on one chair & foot on another, press down on thigh, job done
My ROM also needs some work as all the muscles are tight around the joint, when he had finished it was 90 deg.
This massage number is dead good innit?
A note to Roy - when I posted this morning about you getting on the floor to do an excercise, I did think to myself well I do know another way to get down there but not the ideal way!
Your informal approach is novel...
 
Poor Jo, sorry to hear of your fall, but glad you were more shaken up than injured. I am sure your confidence will return in a few days to try the crutches again, you have plenty of time so just take it slowly - sending you a big hug:friends:
 
Awww....Jo. So sorry that you had a fall. It happens to most of us and you just got yours done a bit earlier than some....:wink1:. Now you can move on with your recovery. And you will. Give yourself a few days and you'll discover your confidence again. You have a strong, beautiful new knee there and it's going to take you to some great places in the coming years.
 
Glad to hear that you came out okay. Yeah, the extension is the most important thing. The flexion will come with time. I'm down to 2-degrees on extension and it's the most challenging stage (last part) right now. Hang in there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom