TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo I've been reading your post op threads and it sounds like you took a spill recently. Thats so scary. I hope you're ok! I've readi been so preoccupied with the details of my own surgery etc that i lost track of almosf everthing else. Sounds like overall, you've been doing gr8!
Dori
 
My doc was much more concerned about me being stable than rushing out of the walker onto the cane and then off the cane. I wasn't given the option of crutches & w/ my shoulder & wrist issues couldn't have used them anyway, but I think they'd be more tricky to use...
Glad you're doing better today.
 
So sorry to read of your fall, Jo, but equally pleased to read that you are putting it behind you and looking forward. You are doing great :-)

Kathy
x
 
Admin question for Josephine or Jamie
I just wondered why I don't have a TKR showing on my thread title - did I not do something when I started my new thread? Many thanks.
 
I just wondered why I don't have a TKR showing on my thread title
When you start a thread there's an option next to the thread title to say what prefix you want. I don't know if you can retro-fit one, no doubt the Admins can.
 
Jo,

I read in Diney's thread that you're doing the stairs now; well done! Hope your confidence is back now and you can enjoy a straight-forward, boring recovery ........... boring is good in this instance!
 
Boring sure is good especially when the recovery is moving as well as yours. You are doing great and I am so envious! Mine had too many stand stills that lasted far too long. Happy that you are sailing through this recovery. :yahoo:
 
They actually weren't there when you started your thread so we've been doing them manually.

So sorry that we missed you. But all fixed now!
 
Hi Jo, glad you're Ok on the stairs now - another step forward! Onwards and upwards (and down again of course)!:doggieshmooze:
 
I was reading a post earlier and it reminded me of something that happened to me with my surgery experience that I thought I would mention.

When I woke up from surgery the nurses went through what all the drips and drains were. I had a drain from the knee area that was taking blood away blood that I was loosing. I was told that if it got to a certain level (can't remember how much) it would then be transfused back into me. As it happened it got up to the level they mentioned and at that point I started to show signs of low blood pressure and feeling unwell. They quickly got the blood flowing back into me through my vien and in a short while I was feeling better. In the past I have had a few operations and really can't remember that being done. I wonder is it a new idea?

My husband was there at the time this all took place and he said I looked dreadful and was really worried. He was so relieved when I started to recover so quickly. We both thought what a fantastic idea and so simple - you get your own blood back that quickly. Amazing stuff all this medicine lark!
 
Hi Jo
They did the same to me. It's better to have our own blood back but I was told they could only do it for a limited time. The last bit I lost they had to throw away.
 
It's called an Autologous Blood Reinfusion system. The target is 500mls but can be used at 400mls.

I had two! luvely jubbly!
 
I wish i had donated my own blood because there a possibility I may need a transfusion if my hemoglobin numbers go below 8. I see a couple of guys walking around with their little box of blood so that process happens here. I was told blood transfusions are rare and the chances of getting my own blood back was slim due to logistics.
 
Honey, it doesn't matter. The days when drunks, druggies and drop-outs sold their blood is long gone and all blood is carefully screen and checked for any contamination or irregularity. Generally speaking it's a very safe practice.
 
14 Day Update

Two weeks today was my operation day; it seems an age ago now. I am so glad I found Bonesmart before my op and was able to get a real feel of what to expect from this surgery. The biggest surprise is the lack of pain I am experiencing, I would say sometimes I get a twinge but what I feel is the tightness around the knee - I wouldn't call that pain, just discomfort. The lack of mobility is a general nuisance but I know in time that will improve.
My swelling has reduced the last couple of days but I have noticed as I have been stretching my hamstrings that it is tighter at the back of knee, so the fact the swelling is reduced I am not feeling the benefits yet.

My sleeping pattern has been good, I only wake up once in the night and generally go to the toilet take some meds and then straight back to sleep. I haven't had any bm issues, which I am really delighted about as that was a big worry to me. I have a stash of stuff that I haven't had to use.

I had my staples out today and it wasn't as bad as I expected. It actually feels good to check that off the list. The scar is looking really neat and tidy, so well done to my OS.

Getting in and out the car is so much easier now and the actual sitting in the car for the journey felt almost normal, not at all uncomfortable. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but it was not comfy coming home from the hospital - so baby steps!

I know I have long journey ahead of me yet but I am pleased with the direction I am taking and hopefully no more detours like the one earlier in the week (the one we no longer talk about!!!). I think it was Diane that said it is a boring recovery, how true those words are. It is boring, as one day just seems to merge into another with the same old routine but long term it will be worth all the boring time spent icing, elevating, resting, watching rubbish tv (come dine with me) and gentle exercises.

Wishing everyone a good recovery and thanks to all my bonesmartie friends for being here:thumb:
 
Another encouraging post! When I read ones like yours Jo, I almost get excited to be on "the other side!":thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom