TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo,

I am with Jamie sounds a bit early to only be on Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I assume they are giving you the aspirin as your blood thinner. I always heard that you should not take aspirin and ibuprofen together. One other thing you mentioned your heart beating hard, that is the reason I cannot take aspirin or dirivitives there or for me it causes heart palpitations. Check with one of your Dr and let them know you are feeling a bit strange with the meds you are taking.
 
Jamie- I am taking 2 500mg paracetamol and 2 200mg ibuprofen 4 times a day and I am allowed codeine if the pain is bad. Then 2 asprin a day for 6 weeks with the tummy tablet (can't remember the name). I have not felt the need for the codeine as I do not have any bad pain with the normal tablets.
They tried me with Tramadol in hospital and it certainly did not agree with me. That's it.
 
Wow, Jo, that sounds pretty lightweight on the drugs. Plus I would be very leery of the combination of ibuprofen and aspirin. Good grief, no wonder you feel funny.:scratch:

I was on oxycodone with a "kicker" of Percocet if I needed it and the first four weeks seem like a blur now. However, that combo would send me into hysterical tears or laughter faster than "Jack's your uncle". You should have been there the day I ran into the buzz saw of narco constipation! I knew about it, I took stool softeners, I took Metamucil and I even had dipped into a stash of laxatives. I cried and screamed like I was dying (it felt like it); my calm and stoic hubby was actually quite alarmed. I will be armed and ready with a full squadron of prunes, prune juice, stool softener and Miralax before I can even find the recliner again!! :hysterical:

Also, I plan to back off as soon as possible on the friendly narcotics during round 2 because the only drug I really trust is red wine! So maybe you are ahead of the game, except for all of those NSAIDS (don't get me started on the problems with paracetamol and booze).
 
I was on tramadol, paracetamol and diclofenac in hospital. When I came home I tried co-codamol but it really made me sick, so after a couple of weeks I dropped it and just took paracetamol and diclo. Because diclofenac is really, really bad for you (according to my GP) I also had to take omeprazole to protect the tummy, but I only took half the prescribed dose of diclo and dropped it at 8 weeks.

I just take the occasional paracetamol or ibuprofen now.

However, in hospital, there were a couple of very commanding older ladies (in their eighties) having their second knees done, and they refused absolutely everything except paracetamol and even argued over that, and they've both made brilliant recoveries! So if you are as tough as them, Jo, good for you!

To be honest, if you can manage with minimum drugs, go for it. It's got to be better for you - as long as you don't suffer unnecessary pain.
 
Obviously as I'm still on 'the other side' I know nothing about how you are feeling Jo, or the medication.

But I remember when I was in hospital all those years ago with my fractured knee (the start of my problem). I was in hospital, bedridden on traction for five weeks. It was horrible, apart from the latter half where a made a couple of really good friends and we used to have a right laugh. But I just couldn't wait to get back home.

However, I remember Ray, my husband, and my Dad coming to collect me on the day I left hospital. I got in the car and cried my eyes out - I wanted to go back! Our emotions are weird sometimes.

And after major surgery it's definitely going to have an emotional effect. But of course it will pass - all good. You'll definitely get there Jo.

Kathy
xx
 
Hi Deeden, Thanks for your comments. Am I right in thinking you were not on tramadol when you came home? If so, your pain med was similar to mine - I do have the codeine to take if I have a lot of pain but at the moment I don't have the pain to warrant it. I am not sure about this heart fluttering feeling I have occasionally - I am going to phone my GP this morning to ask about it. The aspirin and ibuprofen combination could be causing it ? The joys!!! Interesting what you say about reducing the dose of diclo after 2 weeks - food for thought for me. Thanks.
 
Hi Kathy and thanks for your note. I know what you mean about hospital, you feel safe and so well looked after; it's so reassuring. I do like my home comforts though and I'm glad to be back, even though I have a leg that doesn't work properly (yet).
 
Jo, if your feel your heart 'fluttering' every so often you must have this investigated. If it's nothing you will have your mind set at rest, if it is something, whether it's the drugs or whatever, it needs sorting. I would be at my GP's today.
 
Jo I get a fluttering heart sometimes, feels like a missed beat but am told it's actually an extra beat and makes me want to cough! Caffeine is a well-known culprit as is anything with ephedrine or pseudoephedrine in it, so it's possible it could be caused by other meds too. Have you rung your doctor yet? Hope you're feeling better today!:rolleyespink:
 
Hi Jo,

The hospital offered to give me Tramadol to bring home but I refused because I thought I had some left over from my husband's illness. However, when I got home, I didn't have any, so my GP prescribed some co-codamol, which I'd used briefly earlier in the year. But I quickly remembered that co-codamol doesn't suit me and gave it up.

I had been on diclofenac for ages before the TKR to help with the pain in my knees but only ever took an evening dose. In the hospital they put me on two pills a day but once out, I halved it quite quickly and then dropped it completely.

I think asking your doc. about the heart fluttering is wise; the more you worry about it the worse it will get because you won't stop thinking about it. I'm sure he will calm your fears. You have enough else to think about at the moment without that adding to it all.
 
Hello everyone
I had a really good sleep last night and woke up feeling fine. I feel more settled today in myself and more alert - so a good start. I have done some checking up on asprin and can't find anything that would suggest problems with heart beats. I have to call the doctor's anyway to make an appointment so I will check then but I do feel I'm finding something to worry about!! My body is not used to all these different tablets and is probably adjusting.

My knee is still swollen and tight but I am pleased with the way I am walking around with my crutches. I am slowly learning to trust the new knee and putting all my weight through it, I haven't been able to do that in years :thumb: It feels so strange but good. My exercises went well today but still no quads, I keep willing them to fire up. I know I have seen an article on here about this but for the life of me can't find it? Everyday it's small steps and challenging. My OS said to me in hospital that the first 4 weeks will be tough and I will have days when I wonder why I did this but he said by the 5/6 week it will all come together. He told me to grit my teeth with a lot of the hard work and it will pay off!! Bless his little cotton socks!!!!

Ok, time for a bathroom break, walk and heel slides.
 
Jo glad to see you are on your way to recovery. The burping to me would be a concern. Even though you have had a BM you could still have a slight ileus ( slow motility of your intestine after anesthesia). I agree with Jamie on the tylenol and motrin combo. Maybe stick with soft easy digestable foods. Passing lots of gas means your intestinal tract is back to functioning. I agree with the others to see your GP if this keeps up. You are doing well.:yes 4:
 
Jo, palpitations are a common sign of anemia, also common after any major surgery. It could be something as simple as that, but I'm sure you will feel better when you can rule out anything serious.

It sounds like you are doing well today and that is a very good thing! Every little step forward is one more step towards your new life! :yahoo:
 
Had a conversation with my GP and she reassured me that all my medication is fine and the aspirin is know problem with the lansoprazole. The aspirin is a small dose to take with the ibuprofen - so that's ok. The fluttering heart thing could just be a little bit of anxiety due to everything going on (GP opinion), she told me to try and put it out of my mind. So I will do that.

My quads fired up this afternoon :thumb:, so I'm happy about that - another little step!
 
I'm glad you had things checked out. If the doctor is comfortable with what you're taking, that is good.
 
Thanks Jamie and I am feeling fine this evening, in fact it's been a good day.
 
So glad you're feeling better today Jo, anxiety can certainly cause a fluttery heart too!!! And your quads are starting to work as well which is great, you're on the way now!:yes 4:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom