TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you had a fall and glad you weren't really hurt. I know what you mean about getting confused. I practically did an MWA (manipulation without anesthetic) ;) early on when I took my step down into my family room with the wrong foot first. And I DID have a walker! Like you say, slow and steady is the way to go. Your PT seems to have a good approach. (((jo)))
 
Hi Jo, I've been away from the board and lo and behold here you are~on the other side! :yay: You are making wonderful progress even if it feels painfully slow at times. So far you've managed tricky stairs and a tumble and you are still perking along. :thumb: Those crutches can have a mind of their own sometimes. Years ago when I had my first reconstructive surgery I experienced a crutch slipping on a smooth surface and I almost kissed the ground when my knee was in a full length cast. :DOH: Let's hope it's smooth sailing from here on out. How is your tummy today?
 
Hi Sunflower, Yes I've made it over to the other side!!! I have missed you and I'm glad you are back :thumb: My tummy is fine now, I think it was the remnants of surgery and adjusting to all new medication. This surgery and re-hab sure is challenging but I'm sure all worth while.
 
Hi Kneeper

Wow, your experience sounded scary too. I have really learnt my lesson to be really aware in these early weeks :thumb:
 
This surgery and re-hab sure is challenging but I'm sure all worth while.

Thank you, Jo. :flowerysmile: I have been hoping that you were getting a new knee soon and it looks like my prayers were answered. There are little victories that are revealed with each day that unfolds~things like being able to stand longer without feeling so spent....getting out of the car easier....needing less pain medication.....feeling stronger....feeling less moody...and finally coming to a place where you KNOW that a new knee is truly a gift from God. I am so thankful that you are joining this fellowship of new knees and new lifestyles. In the not too distant future you will be sharing with others your delight in a new knee that has placed far fewer limitations on your busy lifestyle.
 
Ooooh scary, scary, scary! Glad you're okay. I had two near falls on the stairs in the last couple of days and I've been walking unaided for 6 weeks. Kind of takes your breath away even when it's just a "near miss"! I can see why your confidence was shaken. But you'll get it back in no time.

Sounds like your therapy is going to be the good kind. How often will you go? I thought the UK philosophy was to skip the therapy? Do some surgeons feel differently?
Niki
 
Jo,

Don't feel bad because you are using a walker. I could not use crutches at all because of neck and upper spinal problems. I used the walker for about 4 weeks or so then went right to a cane if I needed it. To be honest I felt much more secure using a walker, found it easier to navigate than crutches.
 
Thanks Sunflower - can't wait for all those things xx

Niki - I think to start with twice a week, I can't do it this week as Friday I am having the stitches out, so booked in for Monday next week. I guess all surgeons have a different view but mine is very much for it. I knew I would always be happy with physio as long as I have a good connection with him/her. In the past I have had some bad experiences with pt guys but I am hopeful this guy will be fine with me. I have always been into the gym and sports so I love the whole concept of getting fit again and using my knee correctly.

Rose - I'm with you about the walker, I certainly feel more confident and secure at the moment using it.
 
I never used crutches. I was sent home from the hospital with a walker and it was towards the end of my home PT that I graduated to a cane (about 3 and a half weeks post op). That is the way my doc and the PTs do it here. Even after I started using the cane, I would still use the walker at night, at the therapist's suggestion. And when I was overly tired or sore. If I just used the cane then I would limp more and that would lead to back and hip pain. Using the walker then would help prevent problems, I never felt bad about it. You shouldn't either!
 
Thanks Kat, I don't know why the pt guys are so anti here. They should really leave it up to the individual to decide what is right for them. I just knew he would not be happy and I was right! He ended up being quite understanding when I told him about my fall - I'll give him that!
 
Hi Jo, sorry to hear about your fall. I know how scary it is, I fell the day I had my MUA, coming into my house from the hospital. It shook me up so much I just sat down and cried. My husband felt so guilty because he couldnt catch me. No damage done to the knee, only to my confidence. As I thought about it afterwards, it was really me trying to rush a little on those crutches and not paying close attention. Give it a few days and you will be in a better place, promise! You might have a few aches and pains in other places after this so just be prepared. My wrist hurt like the devil for a couple weeks and ended up with a fresh bruise or two.

Take care!

Dawn
 
Thanks Dawn, you are right it was so scary. Like you I cried my eyes out and felt so awful - thank goodness for our husbands! I will be pleased when I don't have the crutches - I hate them! Thanks for sharing your story with me xxx
 
Oh Jo, that's just what you don't need at the moment - glad you're OK though. You stick with the walker until you get your confidence back, I would! I came home from Knee No. 2 with different crutches than the first one, walked through the front door and nearly went flat on my face as they slipped on the tiled floor. Luckily I still had my others from the first knee which were much better and completely non-slip - dangerous things!

Well, you're nearly 2 weeks out now and in another 2 weeks you'll be feeling very different I would imagine, once things get easier the time seems to go by quicker too!

I've had a few aches and pains this week, I tend to forget my 2nd knee is not 4 months old yet and I'm walking several kms every day at school, not to mention doing all the chores as well! Having said that, I can tell that the more activity I do now the better my knees are.

You have a lot to look forward to, get past these early weeks and you'll be fine! No more lying on the floor though OK??:rolleyespink: x
 
Thanks Goodasnew, I am feeling fine now and have put that little incident behind me. My tight muscles are feeling not so tight today, so I was able to do my exercises with far more ease and my walking (with the walker) is feeling more sure footed. Baby steps at this stage :thumb:

I guess you have the weekend now to put your feet up (fat chance, I bet!) but try to take it a little easy. Take care :thumb:
 
Hi Jo I prefer the walker my self, after my scopes, it was hard to get around fro just a little while, Dr didn't give crutches or anything, as I suppose since the scopes are not as hard to recovery from a tkr. But for a a week or so it was hard, so my mother in law loaned me her walker for a little while.
i was on crutches for 6 months after he first patella dislocation in my knee when i was 12, I hated them so much, the hurt my arms alot.
I feel you should do what feels right for you, and not worry about what the physio thinks, if it makes you more confident and more sure footed then stick with it until you know you feel secure about using crutches or possibly straight to cane, without having to use crutches at all.
Goo luck with your recovery, you sound like you are doing very well.
Will continue to watch your recovery, take care...:flowerysmile:
 
Hi Jo
How rotten to fall over. But it sounds lke you have put it behind you and are now pressing on. Well done!

With my first knee I didn't start posting till I had a question at four weeks but looking back through my diary I am amazed at how the progress speeded up after just the first few days.

I still feel very sleepy a lot of the time and all I am doing is standing up every hour or so and walking a circuit of my house and sitting down again. I can't believe that after two weeks I was very carefully walking round indoors on one stick. I'm hanging on to both of them for all I'm worth at the moment!

So it's just to say that things start changing very quickly and as long as you are careful and keep doing the exercises and rest and ice you will soon be in a completely different place and so will I!
 
I have a sister 9 years older than me. She's had both knees done and one hip, Currently she is waiting to have the other hip done. She is also back to walking (struggling) with crutches. She is always falling over and I can tell you the last thing she thinks about is her knees! Or her replaced hip.
 
Thankyou ladies :thumb:

Diane - I know exactly what you mean about how quickly things change in this early recovery. I am noticing so many little things that I am beginning to do without even thinking about it. Standing is not painful as my hamstrings are now easier and even with walking I am not experiencing the muscle spasm that I had since surgery.
It will be interesting to see if you have the same experience with this knee as you have had with the other. You hear so many people on here say that each knee behaves differently. Take it easy Diane :flowerysmile:
 
Josephine, I guess these new knees and hips are tough!!! I do feel sorry for your sister and hope she gets her new hip soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom