TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the quads Jo, you are doing great, and you deserve to you are such a nice lady always encouraging others, so I am sending you a huge HUG

Linda
 
You are moving right along for only one week after surgery. :yahoo:
Quads firing, low dose meds, sleeping well :yay:

It took me months to accomplish any of these things. Keep up the great recovery! :hapydancsmil:
 
Day 10 Update

I can't believe I am on my tenth day of recovery from my TKR. I am so pleased the surgery is behind me and all that stressful pre-op worrying has gone. It has surprised me how immobile I am with a leg and knee that will not cooperate with my brain. My quads fired up a couple of days ago but when I tried them yesterday they did not work again, so I will try again today.

Most of yesterday I was a bit of an old misery. My knee felt so swollen and tight when I went to move or do any exercises, so I didn't like moving around much and stayed on the bed icing and elevating. Also, when I stand up and stand still for even less than a minute, it is so uncomfortable and feels like it is throbbing and then the hamstrings and calf muscles tighten soooo much. When I am walking it all feels much easier and I don't have any pain.

The set up in my house since being home is as follows. We live in a very old house with so many uneven floors and a nightmare bending staircase, that does not have a handrail in one section of the bend. As I say difficult house to recoup in after knee surgery! So, when I got home on Tuesday,
I stayed downstairs until 8 pm then decided to tackle the stairs. Made it up after a lot of moaning and muscle spasms in the back of my knee; all very stressful! Joint decision - we decided I would stay upstairs for a day or so to build up my confidence with walking and to gain a some strength.

I decided that Saturday would be the day I would tackle the stairs for my trip downstairs. So, spent yesterday morning feeling fed up with how my knee felt and then in the late afternoon I got so angry with myself that I was thinking of bottling out of doing the stairs. I kept thinking - I will be stuck upstairs forever!!!! I gave my hubby a shout to say I was coming down and he stayed in front of me and gave me encouragement. I did well until the section without the rail then I got nervous as I feel I have no strength in my quads or knee and decided the only way down the last four stairs would have to be on my bottom. I did that with no problems and when I reached the bottom I was a sweaty mess!! But I had made it:biggrin: When I went upstairs to bed I did the stairs with absolutely no problems. I felt so happy to be downstairs - that change of environment did me the world of good.
Now I know I can manage these difficult stairs I feel so much better - baby achievements I guess.

My new set up will be upstairs for the morning and then venturing downstairs for the afternoon and evening. I'm not sure for how long that will be the case but I am beginning to realise that with this recovery you have to take each day as it comes; no point getting too ahead of yourself as your KNEE IS IN CHARGE!

Another positive for me is the fact that I am sleeping well throughout the night and long may that continue (fingers crossed). I noticed this morning that my back is beginning to grumble but I guess to be expected with all this laying around and moving in a very awkward way. This is a very challenging operation to deal with in so many ways but all worth it for that end result. I hope you all don't mind my long note but I thought I would share some of my thoughts with you.
 
10 days, absolutely fantastic, you should be delighted
Most of yesterday I was a bit of an old misery. My knee felt so swollen and tight when I went to move or do any exercises,
Of course it did, 10 days ago it was in bits. It will be uncomfortable for a while - but that's a result, so many report PAIN for months.
I decided that Saturday would be the day I would tackle the stairs for my trip downstairs. ... when I reached the bottom I was a sweaty mess!! But I had made it:biggrin: When I went upstairs to bed I did the stairs with absolutely no problems.
Down is harder than up, well done.
My new set up will be upstairs for the morning and then venturing downstairs for the afternoon and evening. I'm not sure for how long that will be the case but I am beginning to realise that with this recovery you have to take each day as it comes; no point getting too ahead of yourself as your KNEE IS IN CHARGE!
I for a long time did the trip just once a day down, up again last thing. Yes it's in charge.
Another positive for me is the fact that I am sleeping well throughout the night and long may that continue
Very good, my sleep is still disturbed, sleep is a huge blessing.
I noticed this morning that my back is beginning to grumble but I guess to be expected with all this laying around and moving in a very awkward way.
Yes I think so; I am starting to get all sorts of minor aches as I start to move better than before surgery. I am sure they will go away in time, as yours will.

Great report sounds like you're progressing at warp 10.
 
Cheers Roy, good to know that you think I'm doing ok :thumb:
All I can do is compare with me, and I am by all accounts 'leading edge'. You are doing as well or better than I at that stage, certainly as regards sleep I am ENVIOUS.

Great to get a post there which makes it looks like I know what I'm talking about :hysterical: too.
 
congrats Jo, slow and easy wins the race, you know the drill! Every day is different so start each day with low expectations and will not be disappointed in the result. Celebrate the small victories and know that other parts of your body will start to grumble as they have been doing extra duty. THat's okay, it will pass. Great to hear you are sleeping well, that is unusual from what I experienced and what many report here.

Keep up the good work and keep posting your experience. It will help others and yourself, as later in your recovery, you will be able to go back, look at those early posts and see how far you have come!

Congrats!

Dawn
 
Congratulations on reaching the other side. Wow you are quite an adventurous woman! I would take one look at those stairs and say forget about it. How about recuperating downstairs? It sounds risky to take those stairs at this early stage of your recovery. I enjoy reading your posts, you haqve a great attitude. Please take it easy.
 
Thanks Dawn, the sleeping pattern has surprised me too, just hope that continues.
 
Jo - Very glad to see that you are finely on the otherside and doing so well. Your active participation on BS has been help to others and now you can participate in the recovery and rehab experience. Keep up your great work.

Kurt
 
Jo,
It's good to hear how you are doing. You knew it would not be an easy recovery and you have been such an encouragement for many. It's your turn to get encouragement. You attitude it right on...take what comes your knee is in charge. Keep up the good work!!!
 
Hi Jo, so glad to hear you're sleeping well - very lucky so early on, hope it continues!

Your stairs sound a bit of a nightmare but you'll soon start to feel more comfortable with them when you've been up and down a few times. Hopefully your quads will start to cooperate with you and that will help you on the stairs.

No, you're not being a misery! I remember you saying that to me when I was 2 weeks out, it's a horrible time but it passes very quickly, right now you probably can't imagine ever feeling energetic and comfortable again but you will and you'll look back on this and it will be a dim and distant memory! I can't believe I'm into my 2nd week back at work already - time really does fly!

Backache is pretty common too with all the lying around and especially having to sleep on your back if you're usually a side sleeper. I just couldn't wait to get back on my side, it was a happy night when I finally could lie comfortably on my side - I've only just dispensed with the pillow to support the new knee at night - another step forward!

You know this is going to take a long time - but somehow you just don't believe it! Hope you have a good night!:sleep:
 
Thankyou Kurt and Carolyn for your kind comments.

Goodasnew, I do remember when you were down, that seems a long time ago now. You are spot on about not thinking I will ever be comfortable again and will my knee ever bend properly again; I know it will all come - with time. I made it down those stairs again, with a little more ease and a lot less stress :th_heehee: (bless my hubby!). He is doing so well looking after me but I am having to close my eyes to looking around the kitchen (I'm sure you know what I mean!).
 
You are doing great, Jo. I well rember the fear of falling up or down stairs. Take it steady, do not rush and look where you are putting your feet and sticks.

I also remember that stiff swollen feeling and the feeling of misery and fed upness and I used to think if only I could have a break from it all for a day. But it gets better and better not worse and worse as it would if you hadn't had a TKR, hang on in there Jo, it's a long but good road you're treading.
 
Wow--making it up and down tricky stairs--good for you. I'm glad your husband is being such a help. The muscles can be as much an issue as the knee itself in the early days, but it does get better. Hang in there.
 
Hi Jo,

You are doing very, very well - everyone has down days, when they are tearful, frustrated and convinced it's all been a terrible mistake - if you don't have one occasionally, you should be worried! I threw wobblers several times despite a very easy recovery.

I only went up stairs at night and down in the morning, like Roy. One morning during the third week I felt a bit strange halfway down the stairs, wasn't quite sure why, thought I'd got there a bit quickly and realised I'd been going down them normally (each foot on a separate step)! So that came without even thinking about it. You will find that your confidence will build too and you'll soon not be worried by your dodgy stairs.

It sounds like you have a lovely, quirky old house by the way. Devon is gorgeous, how lovely to live there.

You are very lucky with the sleeping. To sleep well so soon is wonderful and will probably speed up your healing as well. So relax, you are well on the way to recovery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom