Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two TKR in two weeks---let the fun begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Janis,
I am glad you are out of hospital and feel more comfortable.
It is a big surgery and I think we all have encounters with our inner two year old along the way.
Take things slowly and allow yourself time to rest and recover,
Sweet dreams,
Hugs and a sprinkling of fairy dust, Toothfairy x :sleep: :flwrysmile:
 
My inner scared 2 year old emerged. "Fine, you want me to leave today get my clothes together I do not need any PT!" " Craig, you need to pick me up now, they are kicking me out!" "What do you care what my pain level is YOU ARE KICKING ME OUT!
LOL :hissy: :tantrum: :gaah: You tell'em Janis. I LOVE the whaddaya care about my pain level for it you're kicking me out! :rotfl: I'm glad you merged with your inner 2 year old Wu Tang. :loll:

I'm also glad that you're in a place that's more fit for your situation right now. Definitely diggin' the bell, gotta get one of those. :yes: Although I'll probably be sitting around thinking "for whom the bell tolls" and drive myself crazy. :hairpulling: My kids have selective hearing. :skep: They're good for about the first week. lol

Hope you're resting with the fairies right now. Lala-Laaaa :angel:
 
Oh, BTW My inner 2 year old comes out when I have to stick myself with the Blood Thinner needle for the 20th time! :tantrum: After she's goes back inside, Rated R comes out. lol My son and I discovered this new persona around about the last day of the dreaded needle. :gaah:
 
So amazed at the wild swings, had my first home PT and my ROM numbers were excellent 90 degrees and -2. I had cut down to one Percocet every 4 hours and 1 morphine ER every 12 hours but I totally forgot my Femoral block was still in places and would be out of medication late Sunday afternoon. Holy cannoli batman when it ran out I realized cutting down to one Percocet every 4 hours was a mistake! I am back up to two. Leg swelled, pain and exhausten increased and ROM decreased. I still have not pooped ...waaaaaaa! Note to Admin we need a smiley with a sign that says "I pooped today!" Eating excellent high fiber foods, drinking water and taking magnesium citrate. I burp and toot all day and that is about it. Now I have a headache think toxins are building up. I am a ____ head lol!!

My daughter is so sweet I just love her so. When she is not feeling well her comfort food is saltine crackers with real butter on them. Always has been even when she was a little girl. Yesterday, she came to visit with me and she brought me flowers, ice cream and a container of saltines with butter ...waaaa...we forget how even the little things in life create an impact.
 
Wow janis, way to go! You're taking no prisoners!! Totally understand about the toddler rant, this experience we've been through leaves your emotions all over the place! Sounds like you have gone to a great place, tailor made for recovery...well done! Well you couldn't
Be expected to be able to manage your pain meds right until you knew what your leg felt like without the femoral block! So take as much of what you have been prescribed to enable you to feel comfortable....I'm doing just that, and it is working out great. Don't care if I could manage with a bit less, I'm not messing with it yet. I have felt a bit queasy with it on and off, but it is not messing with my head at all! Your rom numbers are great, won't find out if mine have improved until my first out patient pt session on Friday. No home pt for us in the uk, mores the pity. Totally agree with the idea of the pooping smiley! This is a big concern isn't it? I had been worrying about this preop never mind post op, and had been taking lactulose for a week pre op with little effect, so I was worried big time. Didn't want to take stronger stuff in case I got stomach cramps. So post op they continued to give me lactulose just more of it, and I'm pleased to say I've been! On day 4 I think. It's still a problem, but at least it's a start. Others here have recommended milk of magnesia, so I might give that a try. Lactulose is so disgustingly sweet. Your daughter sounds lovely. My eldest baked me fairy cakes (cupcakes) and bought me the box set of pride and prejudice allin a goody bag with other little things...I was really thrilled at her thoughtfulness....makes your heart feel warm doesn't
It? Hope you are feeling better now janis, and that leg is up and elevated and iced! And the pain is under control. Go well... :friends:
 
Note to Admin we need a smiley with a sign that says "I pooped today!"

lol :iagree: My OS put me on stool softeners and a laxative for as long as I was on the antibiotic, or was it the blood thinner. I don't remember, all I know is it worked pretty well. :yes: I prefer the stool softener to the laxative, but I guess they work together. I probably need to start taking them now, as I'm about to go in for round 2 in 9 days. :scare:

I love your daughter's care package. My childhood sickness remedy food was Tea and Toast. :puppysmooze: I think I'm a chicken soup mom for my boys, my well treats are definitely my delicious cupcakes. ditzy dinah, how sweet of your child to bring you some "fairy cakes." I may need to borrow the name for when I open my bakery. :)

Glad you ladies are well medicated, I plan on joining you soon in that department. Once you finally get your pain cocktail right :martini: that is one of the few pleasures of KRS. :egypdance:That and this... :yawn::sleep::zzz:
 
Janis, I am a little late, but glad to hear that you are out of surgery and doing well. Here is the post op reading list which should answer some of your questions as they come up!! Ask away if you need help.

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it

- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?


Progression of activity for TKRs
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain

Using ice -

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
Congrats Janis! It sounds like you are doing great. How long did they tell you the femoral block would last? I'm having a nerve block that is supposed to last 48 hours. Not sure it will. I bet you can't wait to get out of the hospital to get some rest! K
Looking forward to more of your posts.

Hugs
Denise
 
Congrats Janis! It sounds like you are doing great. How long did they tell you the femoral block would last? I'm having a nerve block that is supposed to last 48 hours. Not sure it will. I bet you can't wait to get out of the hospital to get some rest! K
Looking forward to more of your posts.

Hugs
Denise
The block lasted till Sunday night that was awesome!! It was implanted during surgery on Thursday morning. I went home Saturday and it was removed Monday. It depends on how much of the medication you use, The nurses can adjust it based on the Anesthesiologist's orders.
 
Waaaa my whole post on pooping is gone...well probably for the best I spare you the gory detail :gaah: Let me just say when I let go the bathroom will look like a war zone!!!:yikes:run for cover!!! I am taking magnesium citrate caps, drinking smooth move tea, drinking smoothies with aloe and fiber...I am pooping just it not coming out if you get my drift!! The last two days have been a sleep fest! :zzz: :sleep: :zzz: LOL! from the person who was so concerned about sleeping! More to come going to eat some greasy potatoes and eggs!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Two TKR in two weeks---let the fun begin!
I did it!! :egypdance:
 
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :yay:

I'm singing the "Poo Poo in the POTTY" song I use to sing to my preschoolers. Happy for ya girl! :egypdance: :egypdance:

Plop Plop, Fizz Fizz, OOOH, What a RELIEF It Is! :rotfl:
 
So yesterday PT shows up at my house and she is giving me the OMG your leg is not straight and you are going to freeze your knee speech ... I said you do realize I am only 4 days since surgery and I am very swollen ... and the day before I was at 89 and -2 she said ...oh well okay ...work on keeping that knee straight!
My husband has taken it upon himself to be my PT assistant that did not last long. Bionic woman 2 I had to break the Wu Tang out on him. :headbang: He called me after my nap and started questioning me on my sleep position, Did I do what the PT told me, did I keep my knee straight...blah blah blah! He did not say "honey I hope you had a good nap, I noticed PT was tough ...NOPE he did not! I told him he is not to critique, coach or criticize me he is only to hold my hand and support me. The outcome of my PT is my business and when he walks in my shoes he can have a stinkin opinion! :hissy:
 
Amen Wu Tang! We need to change that song to "Knee Replacement Patients ain't nothin to BLEEP with!" lol

HELLO! What you told him sounds like what I told my husband while I was in labor! In the midst of a contraction, he said something like, "other women have been through this." lol lol :hissy: I said, "And they're feeling exactly how I'm feeling now, so SHUT UP and HOLD MY HAND!" :gaah: Men! :rotfl:
 
Oh I like it, I like it janis...you tell em girl! :yes!: Do you want to come with me for my pt session on Friday? I sure could use you!!..dh hasn't started on me yet, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. :no-fin:
Congratulations on the pooping! Love the illustration! I'm going, just...lots of straining to produce a few pebbles...not satisfactory! I'm going to have to add some fibre capsules into the mix. Nearly finished the disgusting lactulose
, and don't want anymore of that. :sick:
So glad you are sleeping better now...sleep is the best" :sleep:
!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Two TKR in two weeks---let the fun begin! My daughter came over and picked me up and took me home so I could see my Tilly! Tilly missed her mommy bad! After the Tilly tongue bath, we went and got ice cream and then returned back to the house I am staying at and I was spent! A half hour trip exhausted me!

So tomorrow morning is the big reveal ... the nurse will be here to take off my dressing. I will need to have my bucket ready. :boohoo: I get sick and pass out when I see stitches or staples. I am ready ...maybe ....:scary:NOT!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom