TKR Time to Veg Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Brownie yes I think I would be happier at home but I want to do the best I can to get a bit more ROM my OS doesn't think I will get much more than I had before Op which was about 90-95 so I figure I need some help so waiting to see what happens this week with PT not much happened over the weekend but all starts tomorrow. I don't know if recovery has been remarkable but I've been very happy so far how I have felt and hope to continue so i don't think I had the minimally invasive technique but shopped around for a very good doctor which meant going into a hospital not to close to home. Here is a picture of my knee Day 5 I think it is a little more swollen today. [Bonesmart.org] Time to Veg Out!
 
Kathy I can't believe you! You just posted a photo like that! At less than a week I was still being spoon fed. just kidding. You really are doing great. Your leg looks good. At first I didn't realize you had the TegaDerm on there but it looks good. I bet you miss your little Cav! What is her/his name?
 
LOL Yes I missing my little girl "Honey" she has company with my mum's dog Chloe a shih tzu and I bet they are missing us! Just getting fed and a bit of attention each day from my daughter!
 
well done kathy a nice tidy wound you have and you are doing great i didnt sleep much last night the knee is at its worst during the night but thankfull i slept 4 hours durning the day i tried to upload my wound pic but it wont let me i will try later :) have a peacefull night .marie
 
Good Morning Kathy,
You are doing great ! If I may ask a question, Baystater said her knee felt very stable &
strong first time she stood on it. Did you find the same thing with yours? I am hoping this is true :dancy:
My knee buckles & gives out all the time :gaah:I'm sure you miss :puppysmooze: :puppysmooze:, continue on the path to
recovery & please keep us up-dated on your progress. :)
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Kathy, didn't you say that you had a rom of 90 in the hospital? I would not worry about rom if that is true. I had 90 in the hospital too and I ended up with 150 rom, so relax and treat that knee kindly. Brownie is right, the first few weeks, it is time for the knee to heal without worrying about rom. here is some reading for the boredom of rehab!!

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice -

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
Kathy, the knee looks awesome!! I have a couple of pics to post, and so far I know somewhere in my brain I know how to do it, but the process eludes me when I am actually ready to try it!

Kelly, I am trying to be a poster child for the BoneSmart mantras! I am icing, elevating, resting like a pro! The pain meds are a bit trickier as I live alone, and I doze off on the CPM, or sleep thru an alarm. I have sometimes gone 2-3 hrs past a dose of med, but nothing more than that. Keeping a drink and nibbles next to me helps so the meds don't hit an empty tummy. Almonds right now are my favorite.
The best rule to live by? If you won't die if it is not done, don't do it. Everyone: REMEMBER THIS!!!

I hope you are having a wonderful day and the knee is treating you kindly.

xxo:puppysmooze:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Time to Veg Out!
Shellbelle,
FYI: For instructions on how to use the forum, hover your mouse or click on "Office" on the white bar at the top of the page. On the drop down menu, click on "How to Use This Xenforo Forum". You will find articles about the many things that are available to you when navigating the forum. Using this resource will enhance your enjoyment of the forum.

This will include uploading pictures. If you have a problem, it is usually that the pic is too large and has to be reduced in size. Any number of free programs on the internet will do that for you.
 
Good Morning Kathy,
You are doing great ! If I may ask a question, Baystater said her knee felt very stable &
strong first time she stood on it. Did you find the same thing with yours? I am hoping this is true :dancy:
My knee buckles & gives out all the time :gaah:I'm sure :
Hi Diana, yes my knee has felt strong as well the whole time. I can actually walk around my little room without crutches most of the time as there is something close at hand if I need to stablise myself. Still need them for walks so that I walk correctly and bend my knee.
 
Morning/afternoon/evening Everyone I'm feeling better today I was very nausea yesterday until lunchtime when I brought everything up then I fell good and ate a little lunch.This morning when they woke me up at 5:00am to do blood pressure I ate one of my crackers and raised my head up in the bed and felt a lot better when breakfast came at 7.30am. I'm sleeping quite well which is good if I wake up I always go back to sleep and I don't want to get up when breakfast comes at 7.30am :sleep:

I have cut back on the endone I only had it at 1.30am yesterday and 7pm last night. They have me on some slow release pain killers and they seem to be doing the trick so going to try no endone today. Unfortunately the doctor has prescribed me anything that isn't as strong as endone so need to get that fixed up.

I went for a gym session this morning all gentle and done at my own pace PT measured my ROM at 85 which I'm happy with I was the same in hospital when they measured me but it's only a week so no stressing. Dr said he isn't expecting more than 90/95 so would like to prove him wrong in the weeks to come. Resting with ice and elevation now as I have another session at 1pm. I will have to work out if I need the endone or not before that session hopefully not.

take care everyone :thumb:
 
I found on the ipad if I cropped the photo a bit it would let me load the picture. Just below your message box there is a selection upload a file click on that then select the photo wait until it has finished loading then put your cursor where you want the photo to be added than click on thumbnail box and then click on Post Reply and it should be there! Good luck!
 
Hi Kathy..glad to hear the tummy has settled and the PT is not asking too much of you...easy does it and you will surprise yourself...just takes patience and then a bit.
hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Kathy, I have just caught up on this thread. You are doing really well.
Don't be in too much of a rush to cut back on pain meds, it is so early after your surgery.
Have a great day.
Toothfairy x :thumb: :flwrysmile:
 
I did end up taking that endone before the next PT session it was feeling a bit stiff so better to be safe than sorry later on! :dancy:
 
Morning Kathy...glad to hear the PT was okay...as for the meds stick with the program, the body needs some help right now but it won't always but best to keep ahead not play catch-up. :ok: Will you be going home for Mothers Day.

Our family are planning a big get together down near Camden somewhere...long way for us to drive..however we'll stopover at our sons place then join the party on Sunday. When we were first told about it we had just returned from Sydney so the last thing I felt like doing was driving back down so soon. :groan: In fact while I was feeling so tired I just didn't even want to think about it.

However our TKR recover ride is an amazing process because time is such a key element. After all the 'hill climbs' of being in Sydney, I just sat at the back of the peloton...being carried along...without thinking about anything much apart from the daily routines and slowly everything began to fall back into place. The interest returned and even a tinge of excitement about the opportunity of catching up with so many extended family members in one place. :wink:

A few more hill climbs ahead but hey that's what Le Tour de Bonesmartie is all about isn't it...just have to stay out of that Zodiac...

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Yes I hoping to escape my dungeon twice this weekend :happydance: I hoping BF will pick me up on Saturday and go somewhere for a quick lunch and go home for a little while to see the puppy dogs! Then I am going to hit my brother to pick me up on Sunday for Mother's Day and take me home my daughter Alysha has offered to cook us all lunch. So that will be nice :yay:

Not sure where you are on the Coast Gami but that's an extra trip for you to get to Camden on the other side of Sydney but at least it's freeway all the way to make it a quicker trip. You reminded me someone asked what Rehab I am in I'm at Baulkham Hills Private I live not far away in Quakers Hill and my BF lives in Ruse not that far from Camden. You should buy some of those first aid ice packs to take with you on your trip. Even stop over on the way down in a pub and ask for a bag of ice :dancy: It will be so lovely to see all the family!

I had a lovely visit from my daughter last night a girlfriend picked her up for me and her dad picked her up later we got to spend nearly four hours together so that was nice although she didn't like my cold dungeon she had shorts and thongs on! She had to rug up in my dressing gown she brought in for me. :umm: Weather is starting to turn cold at night here.

Looks like mum is still coming home on Wednesday so that's good news there will be two very happy :puppysmooze: wagging their tails!

Knee is feeling good after PT yesterday already for another two sessions today! :yahoo:
 
Kathy, sounds like you are coming along nicely! How long will you be in the rehab facility? I'm glad you can get day passes and that you'll be able to go home for Mother's Day :flwrysmile: The PT is a challenge but from my experience as long as it isn't painful it really is worth it. I have good ROM and can now go up and down stairs which kind of amazes me. In fact most of the time now the other knee is the one that hurts!

Enjoy your day, and love the idea of spending time with George Clooney on Lake Cuomo! That would be good for whatever ails you....:ok:

Heidi
 
I did end up taking that endone before the next PT session it was feeling a bit stiff so better to be safe than sorry later on! :dancy:
Hi Kathy
Sounds like you are coming along well, I'm 1 week out today, having trouble with my pain meds, endone and enderol just don't agree with me, so have been just taking panadol which is not really enough.
I have no trouble getting myself out of bed and into the walker and then off to the toilet (do feel a little nervous thou) have been resting, icing and not doing much at all, apart from a walk down the corridor, which feels great. The most pain I have is when I try to get up from the toilet or seat, they are at the correct height but just have a great deal of pain, so difficult with no good leg.:shrug:
My OS has said I may be able to go home Friday but if I think I'm not ready I will stay..

Take care
Talk soon
Lee:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom