TKR Time to Veg Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well your day can start out so good and turn horrible so quickly. Just had my first melt down. LOL Got taken down to x-rays straight after a PT session next pain meds were due lunch was due and I spent two hours down there sitting around in a wheel chair most of the time. The CT machine broke down so had to wait a while as they tried to fix it luckily I was laying down for that bit. Then I had to sit in an empty corridor for about 45 minutes for someone from the ward to come pick me up. That was it down came the water works! :boohoo: :blush: Not one bit of sympathy from any of the nurses on the ward or the two students that came and finally picked me up. The little things that upset you just the pain meds mixing with your head I guess. All better now but another PT session soon :tantrum:
Been there! One week after having a BTKR, I ended up with a severe bladder infection. I went to the E R because it was Xmas eve and that is what the drs told me to do. I sat in a wheelchair for 7 ( yes SEVEN) hours to wait to be seen. There were people with "runny noses" taken before me! It was a nightmare. I was sobbing I was in so much pain. Their reason for their inexcusable "cruelty" was because it was Xmas eve, and they were so busy. I was so scared of getting an infection with two "open wounds" so to speak. It took me a long time to bounce back from that and I believe delayed recovery.
 
Feeling all better today another bright sunny day :SUNsmile: Kept up on the ice and pain meds through the night every four hours and actually slept in between most of the times with my alarm waking me up it has helped today. Waiting for my PT session.

There can be some very insensitive people and then there are some lovely people that do that little bit extra for you that makes you feel all is good in the world again.

Looks like my mum is going to be in hospital until Monday or Tuesday next week now so the poor little doggies are going to be a bit lonely for a few more days. My daughter is feeding them each day after school before she goes to her fathers for the night but they are use to being inside so they would be wondering what the hell is going on. :puppysmooze: I've organised for a friend to take a few things over for mum to keep her going and save her from boredom.
 
Oh Kathy What a terrible experience. Next time tell them to bring the portable xray machine to you. That's what they did for me--I had nausea and every time I stood up, my oxygen level dropped and they had to hustle me back to bed. Oh the stories we can all tell about our various hospital experiences. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you and that you have a very restful night.
 
Glad to hear you are feeling happier today. Hope the PT session went ok. Sad to hear your mum is in hospital too. Poor puppies, they'll be sooo pleased to see their mum home. Have a good day. Take care. Jenny
 
Uneventful day today go for walks, stretching exercises, icing elevating, pain meds you know how it goes. PT a bit useless today she just watched me to make sure I was walking with a bent knee. Got me to walk backwards with some balance bars. I guess I'm doing my exercises so she is just concentrating on he ones that need more help. It was lovely to see my daughter tonight a friend brought her over for me. I'm actually in a hospital about 1 hour away from home bit more in peak hour traffic so haven't had many visistors hopefully off to Rehab centre tomorrow and closer to home.

I had a visitor from associate of my doctor tonight and I had my leg up on a pillow and he said keep up the evaluation and ice very important. I was told on the first night not to put a pillow under it. :gaah: I am very surprised whenever I look in any of the other rooms no one has their bed evaluated or leg on pillow and they don't look like the ice much either. Can't believe it.
 
I definitely think the ice and elevation have kept my leg from swelling. I am probably overdoing it but it seems to be working.
 
There never seems to be a solid consensus on the elevation. My surgeon had no problem with having a pillow under the leg, but another surgeon at the hospital did. I liked my doctor a whole lot more, he wasn't anal about things!
 
Hi Kathy hope things are going well for you and your move to the Re hab centre has seen a few more friendly faces pop into your room.

Hugs Gami:friends::flwrysmile:
 
Moved to Rehab yesterday it's a terrible room but it's closer to home. Like being in a dungeon. I also got to to visit my mum in hospital today she is getting there slowly they are saying out later this week depending on blood tests it was nice to get outside.

Only worked on my exercises yesterday shown at the hospital. i went to to gym this morning and they showed me a few different exercises using some of the equipment nothing for tomorrow as its Sunday so I'm just going to work on my exercises and walks. Two PT sessions on Monday so will see what happens then. Pain has been managed fine will have to watch the C word. :flwrysmile:
 
Yes Gami getting a few more visitors and finally got my internet modem working today so I can check up how everyone is going :happydance:
 
Hi Kathy how long will you stay at the Rehab centre...you might have to get some nice pics brought in to brighten the place up a bit. I took heaps of fun family pics with me and blue tacked them to the walls. My room was nice but it was even nicer when I looked around and saw those happy smiling faces. :happydance: :spin: :yahoo:

Good to hear your Mum is progressing...will she have some-one to care for her when she goes home? Just keep following the mantra and you will also be home before you know it.
hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
They say 10-14 days but not sure I will last that long! I will see how the Rehab goes next week. I can get a day pass so maybe a couple of outings next weekend might help me stay. I can walk around quite well but not driving is the problem if I went home. The room does need a make over my daughter brought my flowers back in today so that has improved it. So cold in here as well going to get my daughter to bring in my winter woolly dressing gown it will also be a good blanket to keep warm. Some friends are going to bring in some holiday brochures next week for me to study up on our holiday next year so maybe I can cut them up and plaster them around the wall. :rotfl: might get a George Clooney in the background of the Lakes District in Italy.
 
Hi Kathy,
Glad you are closer to home so you can have more visitors. I hope your mum is feeling
better. Your x-ray episode sounds :gaah:George Clooney in Italy :yahoo:oh my, you are feeling better !!!!
I'm sure you miss :puppysmooze:but you will be home soon.
Take Care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Kathy!! Just now reading and catching up on your recovery thread. So glad you are doing well and made it to rehab.:yay: Yesterday was the first day I could actually open the computer and not just stare blankly at it! I had the same problem at the hospital with elevation...they locked out the bottom of the bed so I could not raise it! I had one wonderful and awesome PT who showed me on the LAST day how to raise the legs straight. I think they automatically do that because people put their knees up and that is a no-no. I always had a pillow under my leg. I also went home with my ankle and foot so very swollen that the skin hurt. 2 days of elevation at home and I had an ankle again!
Keep up the good work, and I will be back to check in!:puppysmooze:
 
Hi Kathy Hopefully another uneventful day of recovery. No pain here--just constantly battling the constipation and nausea. Beginning to think that is just part of it. This old KY gal is going to put my derby hat on and sit in my recliner and watch the race. About as exciting as it can get right now!! Wishing everyone a good day of recovery.
 
Hi Kathy, looks like you are doing a great job with your recovery and exercising! Big kudos to you for being so cheerful in spite of the dungeon setting, my rehab room was also very depressing, and I could not wait to get out of there. I think I would have gotten sicker as time went by in there.

Keep up the good work and thanks for all your uplifting posts, it makes me smile every time I see your sweet doggie on my thread, and read your kind words ... Big hugs to you!!
 
Hi Kathy ...good plan, brighten up that room, take your mind on a pre-holiday holiday George Clooney and all, whatever works my friend :giggle: ..Italy will be lovely we had some friends spend some time in the mountains last year and they also toured around the lakes...first time out of Oz for them and the beauty of the mountains and lakes was spectacular. :happydance: One of the thrills for them was realizing how close everything was...you know the story visiting 4 countries in 2days :beer: trying lots of local beers and coffees...it will be a fun time for you. :wink:

I agree the change in the weather does mean time to reassess the nightwear...especially if the Rehad dungeon is a cold place to start with....definitely need those personal comforts to brighten your days...between trips home. What part of Sydney is the the Rehab facility in Kathy? Hope you are home for Mothers Day next weekend...

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Riley that's just terrible - they are obviously not ortho trained in the ER.
 
thanks ladies survived another night in the dungeon :gaah: Feeling a little :sick: in the mornings with all the meds on the tummy had an extra hour lay in bed this morning after all it's Sunday! :SUNsmile: It's 10am I really should be having a shower. just can't be bothered moving. :)
 
Kathy wouldn't you be happier at home? What are you getting there that you don't have at home? Is it the gym and PT? Many of us just did simple exercises at home for those first few weeks. Your recovery has been so remarkable! Did you have the minimally invasive technique where they don't cut your quads? How long is your incision? I hope my next knee recovery is like yours! :) You are so funny..I had to laugh when you said your dogs were probably wondering where the H you went. :rotfl:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom