Guest viewing is limited

TKR surgery Oct 22 and I am already feeling guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
^aha. yes, ice and elevate most of the day.
 
My knee has reminded me it is rather late for us to still be sleeping, and you know as crazy as it sounds it really does feel weird and heavy right now which makes me talk about it like it's not part of me make sense Or is that sleep deprivation? I find myself very aggravated that it will not do what I want it to do I know we are all different in our recovery process and in some ways I'm considered ahead, behind or normal well maybe not normal:) but I find the part of me that is the weakest is of course the part I would prefer not I'm a clean freak well not now I know, I know it's not going anywhere but I also still cannot shower without help my shower is to small for any device to be used well that was a lot of rambling I would like to know if you all experienced these terrible sweats at night I live in Ma, and it's cold I don't even like my heat on I'm very frustrated yes you can wash but I mean a 30 minute hot as can be shower.My other leg starts to shake uncontrollably so I must wait until hubby gets home is it the medicines we have been on and did you all find it as hard to stand like that even a couple of weeks postoperative I would not put myself in danger by doing it myself again relinquishing control to the boss my knee :headbang: Thanks I hope that all made sense I'm tired and a little medicated and of course extremely frustrated.Paula
 
Did you read these? Specially the one called "Energy Drain"
You need understand what is going on in your leg when you say it 'won't' bend. Fact is it can't bend because you are trying too hard and to understand that you need to read this article Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Then you need to read all the recovery articles and stuff ....

First are the mantras
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain

Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
I received a phone call from my Drs today. TO Ck on me. surgery was Oct 22. I really needed to hear what she said to me after talking with me for a little bit I believe she totally picked up my feelings of being impatient, aggravated, in pain and just totally blue because without my saying a word about any of that she stated you do realize that you have just had a very major and invasive surgery give yourself a break. I started to cry because I just needed to hear that especially from the professional side if that makes sense. I have just started to go up and down the stairs and picking up a little around the house and it's like I ran the Boston marathon and the knee blows right up totally discouraging at times, but I know it will take time and it's normal this site reminds me of that on a daily basis thank GOD!!!
 
This is a bumpy bumpy road. It disrupts every aspect of life. That is a hard thing for all of us and harder for some of us. I'm glad you are feeling better however know that there are still ups and downs.
 
Minpins, I moved your post out of Brig's "Discouraged" thread into your own thread as I needed to now if you have read these articles I posted for you? You never came back to answer my question and considering your reaction to what the nurse said, it seems to confirm to me that you never have read them. Because all the things you are worrying about are addressed in those articles. So get reading NOW!! :wink:
[Bonesmart.org] surgery Oct 22 and I am already feeling guilty
 
Maryo52, Thank You, I will. The hardest part is not trying to think about it. This is the most difficult challenge I've ever had to take and I keep seeing myself, in a not to distant future, walking without pain.
 
I think or I should say I know I am depressed I do read the articles and know what I'm going through is normal I'm only at 3 wks and feel still so vulnerable. I went out yesterday and just found the whole ordeal to much had to sit for a long period of time and that didn't help. Even reading theses posts and articles I still will have that battle in my head you should not still be in bed you should be up and about why does everything feel so useless and I know it's normal I'm just tired and frustrated. Thanks for letting me whine :tantrum:
 
Dr Gardiner's solution: Get large tumbler. Squeeze in juice from 1/4 lime. Fill tumbler with ice. 2/3 fill tumbler with London Dry Gin. Top up with tonic*. Drink. Repeat.

*optional.

OK a bit more seriously, Brig, Minpins. Imagine one of your nearest and dearest has been run over by a car and had a leg crushed. Are you going to be encouraging them to be up and about? Should they feel guilty? Should they get plenty of rest and watch telly and all that?

Now it's not so hard to think of yourself that way now is it cos that's exactly what's happened. Those surgeons don't mess about you know. So guilt is inappropriate. It is correct for you to take it easy -- imagine Christmas day and you're in the Empress Suite of the world's only 9-star hotel. That's how much you should be looked after.
 
Thanks Roy, Got my husband to pick up a tumbler yesterday...that's a great piece of advice! Haha. Could that 9 star be on a beach? CHEERS!
 
Thanks Roy I need to really work on accepting what I cannot Change, of course I have this little problem of having to be in control well maybe a big problem lol. I have had to go out today as well and now I think I'm home for a few days on ice because I'm hurting and just outright exhausted and that's what I have a hard time with so yes I am trying not to beat myself up! I have just had major surgery is my new mantra and it's making the rules. Thanks Paula
 
Give yourself permission to put off those chores. Pick small tasks (like cleaning out that messy kitchen catch all drawer) when you are feeling perky. Don't even attempt to tackle a big chore ( am speaking from experience here...) or you will set yourself back. I have a really hard time sitting still. But if you can do that NOW, you will be better sooner. Also keep your knee above your HEART when icing and elevating. Sitting on the sofa with your knee propped up, and your upper torso propped up to read etc isn't good enough. Keep the upper torso FLAT. Let the lymph system do its job!!
 
:) FIFY
Give yourself permission to put off those chores, all of them. Pick small tasks (like cleaning out that messy kitchen catch all drawer) and don't do them, either. Don't even think about the attempt to tackle a big chore...

Go the whole hog and remember the mantra, the key bit is

- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it.
 
Well Jennifer I guess I'm bound and determined to learn the hard way lol and right now I'm getting the lesson loud and clear! Knee is all swollen and stiff I feel like I took 10 steps backwards. I have promised my knee I WILL rest next few days. I don't want to hinder my recovery! Roy your right of course I'm very good at making it really important only to me! Icing, elevating, icing, elevating yup that's the ticket :) As always thanks guys I really need the support I get here, no one else understands I really think some people think we are dramatic if they only knew. Oh well they are not important I know and you guys know! Paula
 
I'm slow weighing in, but relax! This is something we all find hard to do in this day and age. Roy has excellent advice as usual. I know I had a tough time relaxing, but trust this. Relaxing now pays big later on. If I hadn't learned some patience during my knee recovery, the much longer recovery I had for my back would have been excruciatingly difficult to get through. A year and three months after back fusion and I'm still getting better. Its all about perspective and your long term goals.
 
It sucks, but we have to remember that we are not in charge anymore, our knee is. One day at a time sweetness! I am at 11 weeks and life is still slow for me. But I have learnt to respect my knee and let it guide me in what I can and cannot do. Hugs!
 
Take it easy.... It really does help. I overdid on the week end and I have been 3 days getting the swelling back under control. Roy is absolutely right Not gonna die.... don't do it.:thumb: Do you knit, crochet, needle work? All productive endevors....
 
I have a question, I am having a lot of pain behind knee in one spot only more so, is that a sign of these bakers cysts I have read about on this forum? Yes I did overdue it and I am swollen but this pain is new and different. As usual thanks guys for listening and the support. One day at a time I cannot look at this as a one week or month or whatever recovery that's when it becomes hard. Paula :)
 
Could be a cyst, but could be anything if my experience is anything to go by; all sorts of aches and pains in the first few weeks. The body's way of saying rude words, I think.
 
Could be a cyst, but could be anything if my experience is anything to go by; all sorts of aches and pains in the first few weeks. The body's way of saying rude words, I think.
:heehee: So true, Roy. One of the things that really helped me was to keep a bit of a log so I could see that I really was progressing bit by bit, week by week.
Also remember that part of your "work" or "responsibility" is to rest, ice and elevate. That's not being lazy, it's helping the knee heal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom