TKR surgery Oct 22 and I am already feeling guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and welcome.
At three weeks you were doing stairs?! And you think you're going slowly? Holy smokes, at 10 weeks after my second TKR I finally felt confident enough to do the stairs. Slow down, go easier, listen to Jo. Once you accept the pamper yourself and do very little dictum, there are times doing nothing but healing can be quite soothing, and healing.
Take care.
 
Think of your knee as a newborn - it needs constant attention and nurturing at the very beginning, and your sleep will suffer. As the days go by, it gets stronger and stronger, until one day you don't have to worry about it quite so much and sleep returns. But it's still very young, so don't push it or it will keep you up all night again!
As a stomach sleeper, I understand your frustration. I still very clearly remember right around week 4 when my alarm woke me up for meds and I realized I was on my stomach - yay! I had to be careful with my movements while on my tummy for a while, but it made all the difference in my sleep (as did the night I took 2 advil pm's and slept for 12 hours!)
Also around the same time, I decided to try being a little less dependent on the aides - toilet riser and shower seat. I discovered getting on and off the toilet was good PT for my knee and as long as I was careful, showering was actually easier. I did have my husband on stand-by the first 2 times I showered without the seat because I was afraid of slipping on conditioner after rinsing, but I did fine. It seemed my confidence and abilities increased together.
You can expect the occasional set back, but all in all, it really does get so much better day by day. Good luck!
 
I just realized I am at about 4 wks boy the time went by fast but not my progress, knee is so stiff and swollen really have not been able to do much pt which has me concerned. I find I really still need to be in bed I do get up I can do the stairs but not much else I know there is no norm, but I feel really hopeless in my recovery. My kindle is my saving grace but of course it decides to go I think just when I really need to be occupied :tantrum: I know I am told to listen to my knee but right now I would like to do a lot more than listen to it :yikes: I have not been doing the cpt machine because it is monotonous but I only hurt myself on that so back on today with ice, ice and more ice. Yes I know it's just a rant and I also know I cannot force my knee but I am feeling really doubtful and hopeless today :sos: Paula
 
Hi Paula, I know it's hard, but you just shouldn't be doing much of anything now. Embrace mindless television. Do the minimum. Don't set yourself up for overdoing over the holidays this year, even as you find you'll be doing much more then than now. Save yourself now for then!
 
Paula im just a little ahead of you I had my op 13th October but I can verify that week 4 was my worst week ever and I have read that so many times on this site. My unoperated knee began to hurt worse than the other one and I cudnt do any exercises at all. Even my physio sent me home because of swollen kees and high bp. Week 5 was so much better. Ive been walking around the house unaided and doing my exercises so much better. In fact im looking forward to physio this week. Although you arent doing many exercises just going up and down the stairs is a good enough exercise for now. Try to relax more. Becoming agitated and tense wont help your condition. Wishing you luck/. I will keep looking at your progress. Take care.
 
Paula,
Swelling and stifness = doing too much. In my opinion you are focusing on numbers and trying too hard and doing too much which is causing you to swell and causes the stiffness that limits your ROM. It is an unending cycle.:gaah:
New born baby is a great analogy... they are heartless... when they want to eat, burp, sleep or be changed it is all on their timetable!!!! :tantrum:Newborns do not care if you are sore, tired, in the middle of some chore they will cry and scream untill you comply with their wishes or wants, PRONTO!!! ....Just like your new knee.
Relax.... Rest.... Ice.... Elevate above your heart..... then repeat until the swelling and stiffness goes away.:ok:
It took 3 days at week 3 for it to all go away for me when I got a little too enthusiastic at PT. We are all eager to get on with our lives but it will slow you down and set you back if you do not give that new knee the respect it demands. It will only make you miserable and take longer to get where you want to be!
I am doing a little crocheting, mending, sorting things, folding, all jobs I can either sit in my chair to do or work at a table with my leg up on the next chair. It is not necessarily faster or convient but I can rest and/or ice my knee while feeling usefull and getting a few things done.
Take it easy:cocktail: and you will get there sooner. :thumb:
 
New pt person and of course focuses on my rom which I believe was 78 tried to push it and I told her at least 6 times my knee is really swollen the last couple of days it's like I was talking to a wall! Of course here I lie elevated and icing I told her I've learned a lot of great info from people that have ACTUALLY had their knees done! She was like really I said yes REALLY and I'm listening to my bonesmart friends I'm not pushing my knee when it hurts that much. We will see if this is going to work out lol. Thanks guys I'm so not in a right frame of mind today really hurting so again couldn't do this without you! Paula
 
Paula, I hope it does go well with your new PT. :) I've had two, my first PT, although a very nice lady, had a few different ideas than my now PT, he's actually pretty good and seems to understand more of what is going on. I haven't been to physio in two weeks , returning Monday. Thought a little break from all the trauma, including surgery was what I needed...doing therapy at home is really relaxing for me. I'll go to PT once a week, mostly to see how I am progressing and for any new exercises that will help.I feel I've had good progress at home. Look forward to hearing about your progress...

Brigitte
 
Stiff, stiff, and stiff and I'm not talking about how I like my drinks! This 4 th week is hard just like I've read in this forum from all the bonesmarties here so I am reassured, but still agitated. The knee feels soooo heavy kind of feeling down about the holidays I really can't do much and I'm not going to force myself I am still hurting from last weeks excursions. My husband Dan is terrific I am so blessed there is nothing he won't do for me and REALLY wants me to do nothing but rest no resentments he will be cooking the turkey dinner on top of everything else he does I feel bad, but he gets more annoyed when I say that then anything lol. If anything out of this process I've learned just how really blessed I am to have him and my family. I'm not going to lie I've been doing all the holidays for yrs and it is going to be a nice break :) Well I'm going to focus on ice and elevating can't wait until I turn that magical corner I hear about. Have a great day everyone, Paula
 
Paula, It does get better, like everyone tells us on this wonderful site. I'm into my 7th week and at 6 weeks I noticed a slight turn around, this week even more. It's so nice to hear you have such a fantastic husband, I to am blessed with my husband Jeff, we are lucky :dancy: A restful Christmas is a nice change, I agree...enjoy...keep smiling and have a great day!
 
Paula,
Don't feel bad accepting Dan's help, just say thank you and tell him you love him... it goes both ways and I am sure he feels he is helping you like you help him every day. I also am blessed with a super hubby. Rob did all of the cooking for the first 3 weeks 2 of which he had a misrable head/ sinus cold. He also had to do all of my farm chores with our 90 chickens.... I am truly blessed.
 
You are blessed! I am feeling so great today and I've been thinking, how very fortunate we are to be able to have surgery, such as this, there are so many in this world who suffer without. Our pain is only for a short time and what we have to look forward to... is getting better :yes:. Amongst the tears and the frustrations, we will be just fine...HAVE A GREAT DAY!
EVERYONE!
Brigitte
 
Minpins, I agree with BJ that the best thing you can do is ice and elevate. Heel slides are great and when you want to try just a little bit more I use a theraband wrapping and tying one end around my ankle and genly pulling back on the ankle to a little bit of discomfort.
When your knee swells you end up being counter productive on gaining rom. When it's swollen it's time to elevate and ice...
 
Totally exhausted after the most miniscule things, not sleeping at night feels like my knee weighs 20 lbs. Bored, irritated, tired just feeling blah yes all normal but still no less stressful. I believe I am doing the appropriate things but of course want to do so much more but totally not a good idea as I have learned. I think sometimes of cutting back on meds but from what I read here doesn't sound like a good idea as my PT is becoming harder. This surgery is definitely hard for others to understand as I have heard the typical gee thought you would be up and out by now or wow you still need crutches which of course I would like my response to be yeah I do still need them to bop you one :) I almost agree with them which is crazy I think I hear it more because they are use to never seeing me sit still. Oh well there's my rant for the day :tantrum: I guess being exhausted does make it more overwhelming. Paula
 
Yes, those that haven't had knee surgery don't understand. Keep up the icing and after a hard day rest, ice and elevate. I'm at 7 weeks, feeling pretty great, still a little slow in ROM progression but it is coming along slowly...I don't let myself get to frustrated anymore and it seems to help. Had a busy day the day before yesterday...doctor, OS visit, grabbed something to eat between visits. All the in and out of the van and the buildings, standing a bit more than normal, took a slight toll on me. Yesterday, I did my morning therapy here at home and pretty well rested, elevated and iced the rest of the day with some stretching between...TODAY much better. You will find your happy medium and a routine which works for you. Which ever time of the day is YOUR best feel time, make that your most productive time for therapy. The 4th, and for me the 5th were the hardest and most exhausting, BUT it really does get better...promise :)
 
Sometimes showing 'em your scar helps them get a clue that it is a long recovery. Or a video of the surgery. :heehee:
Seriously, a month out is nothing in the recovery stage. Your body is telling you to rest. Let yourself doze off whenever you can, especially if you're not sleeping well at night. I learned to accept that my weird sleep pattern was "normal" during the first month or so. It's ok and actually good to rest and nap. :sleep:
 
Hi, Paula! My home physiotherapist suggested moist heat before my prescribed exercises--not on the knee itself but on the muscles and support structures you're going to be "working" (GENTLY working), i.e., hamstrings, quads, hip flexors. The X-chromosome does make us susceptible to the "disease to please," be it those who depend upon us or even whom we consider to be authority figures in our recovery (doctors, PTs, etc.). Regarding your ROM numbers, they're just numbers--how you FEEL is a better barometer. You may be able to do more, and more comfortably, at a numerically lower flexion degree than others can with >120 degrees! Don't push yourself and certainly don't let yourself be pushed. Those of us who are used to being in control, to having and doing it all, find it hard to delegate responsibility and especially hard to admit we need help and accept it. But just remember that as good as being in charge made you feel pre-op, helping you also makes those who want to help you feel good. Accepting help (or asking for it) is as necessary as giving it. Is it more blessed to give than to receive? Well, sometimes by graciously receiving, we end up "giving!"
 
I have not posted for a while definitely have the blues so frustrated had pt the other day and I can barely walk now :tantrum: My knee feels sometimes locked other times like it could buckle, I said something to mt pt woman and she was like gee I really don't know. I was getting around fine before that day doing little things around house now I can't stand for long. I was going without crutches in house now I am back to needing them. This has got me really down she was really pushing on my knee for flex and I do not have a problem with that and of course wants me more than 90 in my rom. Has anyone else experienced this after pt? She comes tomorrow and we are not doing that again!!!!!!! :sos: Paula
 
Hi Paula, I find the day after Physio a day of re-coop and my therapist is pretty relaxed. Also, you are barely into your 5th week. I found the 4th to the 6th difficult weeks. It seems to be pretty normal, so need not worry. I actually cut out PT for two weeks and did my own thing. It helped me to regain confidence and work at relaxed pace. I am now in my 8th week and starting to feel pretty good. There are some good and some not so good days. Relaxation is key for me and I find it really helps with exercises. Do what you feel is right for you, your leg will tell you...remember to ICE, ELEVATE & REST...I swear by this. Don't push to hard. Remember to think smart maybe do your exercises at your best time of day. I have the best results in the morning, by mid afternoon I have swelling going on, so then I just get up if I have to and I concentrate on stretching and some strengthening on my bed...which by the way is in the living room, close to the kitchen and I am very happy the remote control was invented!!! :dancy: I hope this helps you a bit and yes it does get better!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom