Guest viewing is limited

TKR surgery Oct 22 and I am already feeling guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paula -- you say the nurse practitioner said that you "really shouldn't be feeling all this pain with those meds." So is she saying you're exaggerating or does she not know that some people are "wired" to not respond well to narcotics? Did you always need a high dose of narcotic to get relief, or did your years of pain necessitate narcotics therefore creating a tolerance? Either way, your pain is undertreated.

There are other strategies and, again, ortho offices are not set up well to address pain that isn't in the middle of the bell curve. That's where your regular doctor, or a pain clinic, would come in. Other members on the forum have mentioned some different strategies. Some are given oxycontin (12 hour effect) and then percocet for any pain not covered by the oxycontin. Some are prescribed other types of drugs such as cymbalta and neurontin, which are not pain drugs but can soften the pain experience from a neurological standpoint. I'm no expert but an expert might be just the ticket.

I know in early TKR recovery a day can be hard to get through and so we become very focused on managing that day rather than being proactive about the long haul, so that is why I am trying to open up your thinking a little bit. Maybe I'm just creating trouble, but redheads can't help that!!

In any case, we know you are becoming tougher by the day. I really admire your attitude and your determination. And of course we all sympathize with your struggle.
 
Thanks Mary idk if she disbelieves me she points out i have been on pain meds for a while and I said yes Ik so that's part of the problem. I have always required higher doses have had problems with my anesthesia at one time actually felt a scalpel cut being made by the surgeon, the anesthiaologist apologized he didn't believe me either until that happened but when you explain this to these Drs and other medical staff they just think oh yeah sure so what can I do lol? Only when you have been thru this surgery do you truly understand how painful AND emotional this is. I also have to do my part to I have been moving around and doing stuff I SHOULD NOT be doing, my lack of patience can be my enemy! :groan: Paula
 
I read this forum everyday but I never feel like writing which is probably not a good idea how else do you get help and hope? First knee done oct 22 2012 second may 6 2013 can't help but compare even though it doesn't help the situation. First knee long time to get around and still having some issues nothing major. Second well the thing is I am getting around better total opposite but. Not sure good thing I don't use my crutches go up and down stairs to much, emotionally it's different I find I didn't know what to expect first time so I think that was better, because now I'm like ok let's go you know what to do and not a very good idea because I'm pushing it I think even people around me feel like ok you already did this once this should go better and faster? I hope I'm making sense I'm very emotional cry a lot the usual and now because I don't rest it's more swollen so lesson learned idk. Best word to describe me so AGGRIVATED and very very emotional.i guess just needed to get this out. :boohoo: Paula
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom