TKR surgery Oct 22 and I am already feeling guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paula, sorry to hear of your pain and frustration. Can you put off therapy and just let your knee rest and recover for the rest of the week? I did not have pt because my insurance would not cover it and I opted out. I understand that many folks do not even have pt and they do just fine. My healing was long and slow and finally began progressing nicely, but only in the last few months. Now I must say that I have had great ROM from the start, but pain and an inability to stand for very long or do much plagued me seemingly forever... I think that if it were me I would call and cancel PT for tomorrow at least and Rest, Ice and Elevate. Treat your knee with TLC. ((((hugs)))) Hang in there!
 
Thanks guys, I just cannot believe how uncomfortable I am now after that pt session. I have been basically in bed since where as before I was finally feeling a little human again doing small things around the house. It is an obsession for these pt people to work on the rom, they refuse or cannot understand the harm done when they are forcing my knee :headbang: Well that is not going to happen again I feel like I did when I first came home maybe worse! I need to do other knee and this is not helping in my decision to just get it over with, but I do not want to do this another yr from now I prefer to put this behind me and not drag it out I don't think emotionally I can or want to put it off. This has been tougher than I thought it would be, definitely requires a lot of patience but hopefully the end result will have been worth it :)
 
You are welcome, Paula. I chuckle at myself though as I hear you say, "that is not going to happen again". I have said that when I have overdone it, and it doesn't happen again for a long while... And then I am feeling good and do more than I should and I wind up hurting. Please go easy on yourself, and if you eventually allow them to push you too hard or even do it yourself don't beat yourself up. I have been there and done that, and so have many of us. We are here to encourage you and you can't do anything that will surprise us...lol...we have been there and done that. This is the beauty of us having one another for support. We really get it. ((((hugs)))) I hope that you have a great day.
 
Minpins that's awful. Almost like an assault! Can you have your OS fax a new order to a different PT place? If you could call around and find a place that has a different approach then give their information to your doctor. I don't think you should let her touch you. My PT doesn't force anything. She has the exact same approach as BoneSmart which says a lot about this gentle approach.
 
My pt just left I would not let her push my knee she states well we have to get that bending I said not when you swell it up by pushing it. We did a few things and I am still hurting from the other day. The pain is on right side of my knee towards back I believe it's a tendon she says probably scar tissue I said I will discuss it with my Dr. Now I cannot walk I'm an in bed elevating I got around better when I first came home! :gaah: :hairpulling: lol Paula love those faces.
 
If you are too sore to do Physio... cancel one or two appointments. I would call your Dr. and fire the PT. There must be more than one PT in you area.... It is one thing for us to over do our activities but another for some psyco to inflict pain on us. From what I've read here on the site they put you under to manipulate the knee if they are using that kind of force... Your PT is not a Dr. ... Get his or her advice!
 
Oh, that is awful :headbang:, I don't know what is wrong with some of these PT's, talking to them sometimes is like banging your head against the wall, they DON"T hear you and most of all they don't listen! I hope your leg feels better after a GOOD rest and yes maybe have it checked by your OS to make sure it's ok......let us know...Hugs!
 
I have not posted for a while I do read everyday just don't feel like posting I think it's called depression I know it will pass, but oh boy sucks!!! I am 4 months and am aching and in pain recently a lot! Yes I do not sit for long never have been able to. I believe I keep reading that 4 months is usually a turning point for the better I am still taking pain meds and have noticed my pharmacist is making little remarks about filling them every week should I be doing something different? Those little remarks by people are very irritating but do get to me even though I try not to. Thanks Paula
 
I'm curious what your knee's life is like. Are you doing exercise or PT? How much/often?

I was on percocet 6 months but that was due to additional procedures to address my arthrofibrosis. I think at four months most people are off regular pain meds. Does your knee need more time on the chaise lounge with a pina colada? I know many if not most knee replacement patients think at four months they're in training for their new knee life and maybe push things a little too much.
 
Well at about 2 months I believe it was I had an mua I really do believe I am one of those that needed one since my rom is so much better. But I am easily frustrated and bored sometimes feel so down and agitated so I do not stop doing things around the house all day if I'm immobile I think to much if you can understand I've always been this way so being down and out has been extremely hard! I am done with pt but do get plenty of excersize I also take care of my 2 grandchildren 18 months and 4 yrs old. I have not iced for a while and now I am changing that as I am really hurting! This surgery is so frustrating and I need my left done soon boy oh boy!
 
You sound like me. It helped for me to get a weekly massage. It was scheduled me time, and my knee got great TLC. Just try to cut back on one or two things that aggravate your knee, and do one or two things kinder to it. It doesn't take much to tip the balance in the other direction. In a few months this will just be a fuzzy memory. Oh, except it'll all come back when you have the 2nd TKR. I guess some of us are just wired for boredom and impatience.
 
Hi Paula, aw sweetie, sounds like your frustrations need a break. I haven't posted for a while either, not due to depression...I'm just busy doing a home study course and working from home and, too much stuff! Ignore that pharmacist, he obviously hasn't gone through any major surgery. I'm at 4 month 3 weeks. Doing OK, my ROM is really good, but there is always room for improvement. I am taking Advil, when I have a more pain day I take A,C & C, and it really helps me. If you can handle codeine, these have 8 mg per tablet, with aspirin. I to forget at times that I am only under 5 months in and tend to push it. Those are the times when I feel like superwoman. I saw my OS last week and he said I've come along very well. He also said at this point one is still healing and you can tell by the color of your scar...the color of the scar is what parts of the inside still looks like. So if your scar is still really quite red, then so there's still some healing to do. He also mentioned it takes about a GOOD year to heal up.

I get a little selfish and tend to treat myself to things I like, a massage, get my hair done or something as simple as quiet time to just read, look at old photos and tell I everyone to stay away for a bit. We've had a lot of trauma done to our body and it will take time, but in the end it will be worth it. Rest a bit more and if you need ice, than ice your knee...take some ME time. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Mary052, I can count my blessings, I don't need the other one done. Honestly don't know if I could do it again. I find other things bother me more, like my left hip, I had done in 2005, it's also learning how to walk again...hahaha, oh well, I'll get there one body part at a time.
 
Hi Paula - just catching up with your thread. I had one knee done a week after you; the other 7 weeks later. I am totally with Mary on the massage. I started it out of desperation after my first knee when I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin! I had a great friend who is a skilled massage therapist and really knows the lymphatic system. It really sound like you need to get the fluids mobilized out of your knee and leg - that causes so much of the pain.

On the pain meds - ignore everyone but your own body. We all have different pain tolerances and different recovery paces - especially when you started out with such a horrid PT and then the MUA! When Josephine finally got that message through my thick skull, I did much better. I am now at 17 weeks after the 1st surgery and about halfway through my weaning off schedule (my first knee has actually been more problematic than my second - probably because it had to pick up the "laboring oar" after the second surgery while it was still healing).

I am still icing - maybe you can make a game of it with your 4 yr old grandchild! Find time for it! And keep us posted. It will get better - but it is tough for us Type "A"s who always have to feel busy!
 
Are any of you still so sore I feel like I have been thru a battle more lately than ever. I admit I am struggling with OCD I cannot sit down no matter How hard I try maybe because I have never been out of work like this since 13 yrs of age I feel I need to be in constant motion to point of exhaustion and pain sometimes. I iced last night for first time in weeks I was that sore. I am going to look into a massage my whole body is sore going to try to chill today try being the operative word? I still take oxycodone and feel like I do still need it my knee was throbbing last night and now. I live in New England horrendous winter so do not go out to much to nervous of falling, so funny how careful I have become I almost hate it! Yes my girls keep me smiling all day they are so funny but my mind is a constant battle. :headbang: Paula
 
Paula, I am just wondering if you might want to talk to a pain management group. It occurs to me that perhaps the oxy at this point might be triggering the OCD which, in turn, is triggering the pain, which has you feeling ike you need the oxy - a vicious cycle. I know at times while I was on the oxy I was either at one end or the other of the emotional spectrum - that was my clue I was ready to downgrade and start weaning off of the oxy and go to hydro. Now, I don't have OCD to contend with and have no real medical knowledge. You might also consider acupuncture from a licensed provider for both the orthopedic pain (yes, there are ortho acupuncturists) and to help you relax. I am just worried that with your level of activity now, which is clearly triggering so much pain, that you are doing yourself more harm than good. :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom