Guest viewing is limited

TKR surgery Oct 22 and I am already feeling guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any massage therapists who make house calls up in your neck of the woods? Maybe even traveling acupuncturists? What if anything are you doing to keep your OCD in check? I assume you're working on that with a behavioral specialist and may have been prescribed either meds or psychological exercises or both...perhaps those need to be fine-tuned right now.

And this may sound crazy, but sometimes acquiring a new skill helps distract from pain and channel OCD into something constructive and goal-directed (helping tame ADHD as well). Two of the easiest instruments to learn to play and cheapest to acquire on a beginner level are mountain dulcimer and ukulele. Uke, especially--I got mine online for $30! There are a multitude of beginner-lesson websites. There are even free voice lessons on YouTube!
 
The other thing to think about is the link to pain and weather. I know my knee is a terribly accurate barometer! I seem to know when storms are coming in with more accuracy than the local weather man. I am at about the same place you are in recovery and feeling irritated with myself that I do not have more "get up and get" but then I think about everything I am dealing with on a daily basis and feel a bit more kindly towards myself.
 
My knee was a bit of a barometer in the first year too. Glad to hear you are icing.
 
Well I feel like I've been hibernating can't really do much else, I do follow but most times don't feel like saying anything probably not good I know. I know I sound just incredibly repetitive but I am so aggravated at my healing. Almost 5 months and just sore and uncomfortable as hell especially muscle above knee so hard and swollen just don't get it. And indeed other knee done a big UGH!!!!!
 
All I can tell you is that there is a heck of a difference between 5 months and 9, where I am now. At 5 months I still had some stiffness and discomfort, was using my cane about half the time and never passed up a chance to take an available elevator or escalator instead of the stairs, even for a flight or two. I hear you about the hibernating--you guys in MA have been getting our weather a day later, but it seems that it intensifies like crazy as it crosses the Great Lakes. If we're sick of snow here along the lakefront in Chicago (rest of the area hasn't gotten as much) I can imagine how frustrated you Northeasterners must feel! With that barometric pressure dropping so often, your knee is probably reacting to it more than in a normal winter.
 
Oh yes we have been getting hit with some nasty weather. I just feel like when I do go out like food shopping r lunch i notice I am still having a really hard time walking my mind says I should be walking regular but I am limping and slw as hell at 5 months :headbang: I am sore as hell and still get out of bed slowly hanging on! This surgery has wreaked havoc on my whole body I feel, not to mention my emotional state. My left knee is scheduled for May 16 need to do before June for insurance purposes it does need to be done and I just want it over with! I still take pain meds which I am going to start weaning especially before surgery. Oh well I guess just venting and a little nervous. :groan: Paula
 
New Year's Eve I was about 6-1/2 mos. post-op. I had to walk 4 blocks to our neighborhood restaurant (over icy snowy sidewalks) to host my friends for dinner. There I was, in UGGs (with orthotics!) and my cane, and at one point I pulled over and sat on a fire hydrant, frustrated and near tears: I had started out with my cane in my right hand because of my painful left foot issues--yet my right knee was still stiff and sore. I was so confused as to which leg to favor and which side to use the cane! Trust me, you are not alone and it WILL get better. Most authorities here agree that it can take up to a year for full healing. But you will soon notice in the meantime that the soreness and stiffness you're having now are nothing like the pain that motivated you to have a TKR in the first place.

If I were you, I would think twice about weaning too rapidly off the pain meds if you are going to have your next surgery in May. I can understand not wanting to come out of the OR with a tolerance for pain meds (which would require a higher dosage); but if you still hurt, why make yourself miserable? Talk to your OS about strategies for lowering your tolerance to the meds while still managing your current pain.
 
I was so glad I found this forum after my first surgery I'm not a big poster but an avid reader. I am now getting ready for my second surgery May 6 and I must say I am a bundle of nerves, my first surgery went well it was on Oct. 6th I am not happy with my recovery but that's par for the course I feel like I should be running around like I use to and I'm not close still limp and am going to break down and get a cane vanity what can I say? My knee looks awsome and thank God no complications but I must admit this time I've read some really scary posts and kind of wish I hadn't I know my surgeon is tops in his field and has never given me any problems I still take tramadol and he's fine with it but I am scared idk I say I'm not going to read again till after but I can't I automatically read it every morning. I'm blessed with a super husband who knows I suffer with my own guilt of feeling like I'm not doing my share I don't like being needy never have and that has contributed to depression lately so you can imagine how I'm so not looking forward to this, but yes I know it's needed guess I just needed to share. Take all the prayers I can get! :sigh: Paula :cry:
 
Hi Paula,​
​
There is something worse than having the flaws you describe, and that's having them without knowing them. Obviously you know your tendencies and limitations, understand them and respect them as well. As they say, a zebra doesn't lose their stripes. All one can do is do their best. That is most of life's battle right there.​
​
Do you know your strengths as well? Always good to take inventory of those as well.​
​
Since you have a top surgeon at a great hospital, you know you're in good hands. Maybe instead of reading people's sad stories you could focus on the articles in the library -- brush up, so to speak.​
​
​
​
​
 
Patience, patience, patience! It WILL get better. I only use my cane now for my not-yet-replaced left knee (or to walk faster). I am 10 mos. post-op now. Yes, my right knee still does get stiff & sore after sitting, standing or lying down for awhile but the discomfort goes away very quickly after a few steps. It's very different from the pain of a not-yet-replaced dysfunctional knee.

Do NOT feel guilty! We all know that a replaced joint is not as fully-functional as a natural one (as dentists like to say about crowns or bridges vs. natural teeth), but nobody mentions that said hypothetical "natural" knee is one with undamaged cartilage, intact support structures, and plenty of lubricating fluid---and of course, the "natural" knees we're replacing are extremely dysfunctional due to damage from injuries, aging or both. And you will probably limp a lot less (or not at all) once both knees have been replaced and are fully recovered. You might also have another reason for your limp totally unrelated to your knee (such as uneven hip height, back problems, foot biomechanics, etc.). Get your feet checked out--our gait often changes when we get a new knee and you might need orthotics (or have your current ones "tweaked").

By all means get a cane. But get the coolest-looking, most versatile one you can. In the book "Ourselves, Getting Older" (sequel to "Our Bodies, Ourselves") the author refers to it as her "accelerator." It's a good thing to have, even for boomers & seniors with no injuries or disabilities--it helps us walk faster, stabilizes us on uneven terrain, gives us something to lean on when standing in line, helps us reach stuff that's slid to the back of the overhead storage bins on airplanes when we're de-planing, and even aids us as "straphangers" on buses & trains if there are no seats.
 
Second knee done what an awful, painful day today was. Hard finding right mix but I think we may be doing okay now. I have to say I was a 10 level of pain most of day :groan: :boohoo: I have been weepy a lot, but I'm absolutely exhausted and still hurting although not as bad now. Oh well it's a done deal time to move forward I HOPE Gonna try and I do mean try to feT some sleep
 
Whooohooo......aren't you just so glad it's over??? I think the relief of never having to worry about the surgery again was the best part of waking up with #2!! Now you know just what to do......but remember, all knees are different. My #1 was just 14 weeks ago, and my #2 is only 4 weeks old now. It was really two different experiences, but this time you'll know that the pain doesn't last too long and that you will improve so much from week to week. Those things really help when you're dealing with the recovery the second time!

Take care, and keep us posted. I'm hoping you get your pain meds under control so you can make this the best it can be. The first two weeks go really fast, and then it starts to get better. Hang on....you'll be there soon!
 
You DID it!!! Yeah, it must hurt like h-e-double-hockey-sticks, but it only gets better from here. Take all the rest you can get and go with the flow....and the ice...and the pain meds. Make sure they give you your meds on schedule, not waiting till the pain gets worse. But you know all that--this "ain't your first rodeo." Hey, you've got a matched set now!
 
Well been home since Friday not faring very well pain YOUSA !!!!! Have to say not impressed with the last days at hosp. pain was incredible and their attitudes towards it was so uncaring, can only accept this now because I know my surgeon is top of line but I do intend to let my Dr know. I'm icing my new pt guy thinks he's gonna be a bit bossy with me I thinks not! PT GUY- you have had that ice on more than the allotted 20 minutes time to take it off. ME I don't think so! PT GUY well under the guidelines........ME oh and another thing I don't believe in no pain no gain my last pt injured my quad muscle which you can stil see is hard,swollen and slightly blac and blue 7 months later, this is gonna be very interesting :gaah: I have had all typical emotions anger, sad, lonely and physically exhausted, emotionally drained and sometimes in such pain! I'm icing, elevating and trying to rest. Boy oh boy enough for now i am struggling and feel so down and just plain overwhelmed I am crying as I write this been doing that a lot lately :boohoo: :beg: Thanks for support Paula
 
Paula just caught up with your thread and Im so pleased its all over for you. With my next op looming its good to see how you are getting on. Dont let that PT bully you. Your knee your choice. With you having gone thru this before you know what to expect. Not like the first knee where it was like being in a fog. I hope the pain settles soon. First few days are a nightmare we would all rather forget. I will follow your progress with interest now. You take care and rest rest rest with lots of icing and elevating.
 
All I can tell you is that there is a heck of a difference between 5 months and 9, where I am now. At 5 months I still had some stiffness and discomfort, was using my cane about half the time and never passed up a chance to take an available elevator or escalator instead of the stairs, even for a flight or two. I hear you about the hibernating--you guys in MA have been getting our weather a day later, but it seems that it intensifies like crazy as it crosses the Great Lakes. If we're sick of snow here along the lakefront in Chicago (rest of the area hasn't gotten as much) I can imagine how frustrated you Northeasterners must feel! With that barometric pressure dropping so often, your knee is probably reacting to it more than in a normal winter.
So reassuring to read this post. I am almost 5 months out from BTKR and am feeling like I too am not progrssing as I should. Having the same issue as Minpins. I'm glad to hear that at 9 months I will see improvement. I want to enjoy summer, I'm so tired of hurting. I would be happy at this point to take my dog for a walk......more than just a couple of blocks. I worry that that day won't come :(
 
I was so lucky that my doc told me up front that it can take a year to fully recover. I still had my down moments when I thought I should be progressing faster, but this helped me take the long view. And DD is right, there is a major difference when you get to around month 6-9.
 
I hope this is true right now I can't see beyond the pain and emotions involved in this recovery. :gaah: I'm tired, cranky and in pain trying not to take it out on my poor hubby who is so good! I am at the hopeless stage but Ik this will pass, Ik I will get better but when pain kicks in I can't seem to dig in and find that hope, but I have learned so much from this site so there's nothing I can do but ice,ice and rest or I will just be hurting myself. I've already done stairs to many times but I feel like it makes my leg stronger but I think it realy only exacerbates the pain and I do mean pain. Well thanks for reading my posts and your help and suggestions :sorry: :cry: Paula
 
Sounds like pain management needs improvement -- although I remember my pain was fine if I didn't move my leg. Are you prescribed a high enough dosage of pain meds? Are you taking it regularly (next pill is taken BEFORE pain returns)? Some people take a pill every two hours so there is no holiday in between doses. Do you need to call your ortho and confer about this? Your regular doctor would be another resource for pain management. Would you want an Rx to help with your mood during this difficult time (another matter to take up with regular doctor)? I'm asking these questions to help you think to the next step, which is to take whatever action needed to improve your situation. I know the pain drugs can make us a little addled and not as effectual.

Anything at all you can do that involves personal TLC -- such as a massage as mentioned by Diva -- will help your morale. When confined by TKR recovery, morale and hope can be helped by a bunch of small pleasures built into our days.

I have to confess that my frame of find was crappy for quite a long time. I don't envy you. Good that you know it will pass but hard to see it, huh?
 
Very hard to see. I believe I am on what my dr considers enough pain meds which is 3 oxycodone every 3 hrs. Those are 5 mg and as needed 1 tramadol every 4 hrs as needed but my pain tolerance is low I guess because even with that I can feel some excruciating pain seemingly deep inside the knee and yes when I move sometimes wow it brings it on hard. I called my ortho talked to nurse prac. She feels I really shouldn't be feeling all this pain with those meds , but what can I say sometimes the pain could bring me to my knees as if that were even a remote possibility :giggle: so onward and upward I hope, these days seem to be endless when stuck in bed makes looking forward hard. Thanks Paula :groan:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom