TKR No longer waiting to garden! 3/28/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the OS today and after looking as my knee's X-ray and my moving ability, he was pleased...very pleased. He said he could not have re-done it better. He is allowing my RA meds. I told him I never went to PT and he listened to my reasons, said I could go or just do what I am doing at home! We have already scheduled my appt. to look at my right knees surgery...mid-August.:loll::loveshwr:

I bought new shoes yesterday. They re a full half size smaller and a regular with instead of a double wide...some improvement! And my feet don't hurt near as much. I will save my other shoes for the next surgery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Saw my rheumie today! Can take lower dose steroids for two weeks and MTX starts tonight! RA wellness on the way. Can hardly wait. I want to walk.
 
Update...14 wks out and still not walking buy that is the right knees fault. That will be fixed soon, like September! My ROM Great. But my stamina isn't. Working on trying to get hubby to buy a recumbent bike. He needs it too...he pulled his hamstring in softball! Can't run for over a month.
 
I finally found a recumbent bicycle!!! Waiting for my hubby to unload it from the truck. I am hoping it will improve the muscle tone in both my knees ( left one in recovery, right in prep for its replacement). I also hope it will give me a good cardio work out too. Any one have any suggestions on how to start out? I have very good ROM but I have never used one. I am 15 weeks out with not difficulty walking ...using a walker because of my other knee!


Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The strangest thing I saw on vacation was an elliptical bike. Like running in wheels. I tried a recumbent exercise bike in PT. I don't know if it was just not adjusted but my ROM was too low. It killed my knees on the first rotation. I'll try it again next time I'm at the gym and report.
 
The first time they put me on one of those recumbent bikes in rehab I was just supposed to rock back and forth. I slipped a couple of times and did full rotations. OUCH!
 
I finally have the bike set up. I rode it a whole minute! My new knee had no problems but my old one has difficulty extending as it should. Since I am having the old one replaced in September, I figure just a little bit everyday will set it for stronger muscles come surgery day. Hopefully, I will be able to walk tomorrow.


Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My appointment to see my OS about my next TKR -for my right knee is on August 13th! Hopefully I can schedule my surgery in early to mid September. My right knee was totally ruined with the recovery of my left..just as my at home PT said would happen and would be worse if I had gone to outpatient therapy.

Now that I found a recumbent bicycle, I can go completely around with my left leg with no difficulty. Proof that work we do at home can work well.:upright:

Soon we will leave for vacation:swim: Can hardly wait!:kayak:
 
Somehow my lists got spli but I gave a new stuff got separated. So here is an update. I am two weeks ands three days out. I have hade a variety of things happen with my rkrp. I had my original surgery specialists hospital ! On an Thursday and all things went great. I needed a transfusion (I had one with my other surgery so I wasn't concerning.). Within an hour I was in trouble. Chest pain, trouble breathing. So off to the ER I went. Chest X-rays, cat scans, steroids, antibiotics, blood thinners. When all was said and done I had TRALI. Transfusion related lung injury. It seems that the person who donated and a enzyme in their blood that caused it. They will not be able to donate again.

Today I am two weeks, three days out. I can walk but I still have trouble getting out of my chair or out of bet.

Today I had to to the urgent care run by the specialists office. My home care nurse sais she wasnt going to take my staples out because she thought it was infected. Doc said no and he took my staples out....all is well.


Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @waitingtogarden

It's lovely to hear from you. You sound as though you're doing fine. You've been through this before so you know all about individual recovery etc. It was nice to read you did full rotations on your recumbent bike in August, good for you xxx

Where did you go on vacation? I hope that you had a good time.

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
I am sorry to hear about your troubles, your attitude is good though--and that matters the most. I hope things settle down now and your recovery goes along more smoothly.

I am going to give you the post op articles again--just in case there is something in there that you have not read, or like me, forgot!!

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Is there a reason they didn't have you donate your own blood before surgery, especially considering you needed a transfusion previously? I donated twice and didn't need either so hopefully my blood will help someone else.
 
Perhaps this time I can keep my messages going now. I had a couple of hard weeks. While this is my second trip....now both knees are done. This one heals much differently than the the first. I am out four weeks tomorrow and am just now able to get out of bed without help.

All this is funny because I can walk better this time and have great rom. It kept my hubby home from work so much we actually hired a home health aide. That way I am not trying to get up unsupervised. Falling would not be a good plan. She also helps with washing my hair, etc.

Saw my pt today and she is thrilled with my success in getting up alone. Rom is 0 and 97 degrees.

I hope everyone does well will recovery.


Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had my last in home pt appt. yesterday. My walking is great, as is my rom. I just need to build my endurance. She is pushing hard for out patient. I would like to work it on my own for awhile. Any suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
This might help:
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
You'll probably remember a lot of the exercises, from your first TKR.

I've had no formal PT with my second TKR (6+ weeks ago now) and I am doing fine. My OS saw me last week and he agreed that I don't need PT. I've never had my ROM measured, but I know it is well past 90, and I can straighten my leg fully.

Best wishes! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Question..8 wks out of RTKR . I am doing fairly well. Bringing up endurance. But now my LTKR hurts-gets stiff if bent or straight too long. It was done 3/28/14.

Any ideas??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom