Guest viewing is limited

TKR No longer waiting to garden! 3/28/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major infection! Friday my incision looked infected. I went to the urgent care unit and it was recalling infected. Doc gave me antibiotics. I saw my OS the first thing Monday morning. Monday night I had surgery..all plastic from my joint was removed and replaced. Everything was cleaned up. I now have a pic line....and must go to the infusion center for antibiotics once a day for six weeks.

It's unclear if all this will heal..today I am finally going home.. I'll write more later. I am tired!
 
I am so sorry to hear of the infection, it is so draining to think of having to heal again. Your doc is following standard protocol right now and I hope that those six weeks will be over soon. Be sure to bring a book to the infusion center!!
 
Hi @waitingtogarden

Oh my goodness. It's lovely to hear from you as you've not been on for ages. However, poor you with an infection. Well done on your vigilance and noticing the change in your incision!!! At least they seem to be dealing with it quickly and effectively.

I'll watch out for your posts when I can. I hope that you stay in touch. I would love to hear how you get on x x


Love Nana moon 27 xox

.
 
I came home yesterday. Dr. From infectious disease sent me up for antibiotics by infusion once a day. At the hospital. OS wants me to keep my leg still till the insition closes. Two opposing forces at work! Must call insurance carrier Monday cause they don't want to pay for in home medication ( self pay would be $19,000). I feel like I am ruining any chance of success this way.
 
Let's see, you are three months out, so you will not really loose any rom if you keep your leg fairly still until the incision heals---about 2 weeks, probably. I did have a revision and I did gentle heel slides, etc---but, I did not have an infection. Right now, you want to be gentle with the leg until everything heals up. It will not hurt your knee for it to be quiet for a week or two.

I am sure you must be beside yourself after all of this. I was a mental case when i had to have a revision for my left knee----and I did NOT want to rehab that knee again. The worse thing for you is that the infection is probably making you feel unwell. I am afraid that this is one thing that you will just have to live through. This might be a great time to learn to knit or crochet. I learned to knit (you tube videos) I ordered all the stuff online!!! I knit hats for the homeless---they are easy to knit and don't take any concentration on my part.

I feel for you right now, it is so difficult to remain upbeat.
 
My problem is I am out of the house every morning....45 car ride...about 3 1/2 hours at the hospital and a return ride. Try as I might I manage to get my stitches to bleed. I am very careful! Right now I am so frustrated knowing I have to do this every day. And will my incision ever close"?
 
Oh Chris. I am so sorry to hear this news. I will be praying for God's healing of the infection.
The last thing you need is the worry of insurance. Can you get someone to call for you so you can get permission to do at-home infusions until your incision is OK? You don't need the stress of dealing with this yourself and treatment at home usually saves them lots of money. Perhaps your ID doc can coordinate with the OS to present them with a doable plan of action. If the travel causes more complications they will have to pay more. Again, you need someone to advocate for you.
Please, please just concentrate on your healing. That is all that matters. Please keep in touch and know this, too, will pass.
Christie
 
Talk with your surgeon's office about your insurance's reluctance to pay for home care. Most physicians have someone on their staff who is used to dealing with insurers who drag their feet at certain procedures. He can prepare a letter to them. You also have the right to dispute their decision.

Take photos of your incision when it bleeds as you are going from home to the hospital. That will help support your case. You want to do everything possible to follow doctor's orders.

Is there another facility more local to you that could do the infusion therapy in the meantime?
 
Hi @waitingtogarden, hi, so sorry to hear of your infection plight. And having to go back and forth to the hospital for IV antibiotics daily is just too much. I agree with Jamie, as you need to get your OS staff involved. How can the insurance company expecting to try to charge you that exorbitant amount out of pocket. Oh my what a predicament. I was so wondering what happened to you. So sorry you have to go through this. How is the RA? This is enough to send anyone over the edge. I am praying for you :prayer:. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Things have improved! They changed my medicine and can deliver both iv's at the same time so my time in the infusion room changed from 3 1/2 hours to 25 minutes! I am so happy! What a great Christmas present!

:tree2;:box::candle::tree2;:box::candle:
 
Things are the the movie "Groung Hog Day". Up every morning at7:00 am, drive to infusion room, physical therapy, nap and dinner, etc and back to doing it again.

I have 21 days to go - I am half way finished. Flu is really bad in our area so I wear a mask and wash my hands all the while I am out.

Happy New Years to everyone[emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It is a hard routine. I had to go to the local hospital every morning for 6 weeks for IV antibiotics last summer. I was counting down the days. You are half way there. Look forward to when it is finished. It was bliss to be able to stay in bed a while in the mornings. Take care, I will be thinking of you.
 
Tomorrow I see my OS and I hope he is happy with what he sees. I really don't want to see a plastic surgeon. Physical therapy is strange. No rom exercises allowed. No pressure on the stitches. Today we did two exercises! Leg lifts with a straight leg and side stretches. I do my crunches at other times.

Antibiotics are reeking havoc on my bowels in spite of yogurt.

Tomorrow another "Ground Hog Day". Up early, dress before pain meds kick in, drive to infusion center, the it's either a doc appt or therapy each day. Home to nap, only to start all over again. I have 19 days left!!

Trying to keep in touch with you with any changes. I am just hoping they turn out to be good.




Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
How did the appointment go?
 
Tuesday they finally took the staples out but left the stitches. He wants to make sure it closes tightly. That was the cause of the infection...a tiny section didn't close. He wrapped it in an ace bandage with a 4x4 gauge pad folded in quarters under it to pressure that section to close. Two days later my knee became extremely painful. I couldn't bend it or straighten it without extreme pain...even with a lot of pain med. I finally took it off. No leakage on the gauze so I let it off! The knee is limbering up.

It hurt so badly earlier today, I am afraid to try again! Any ideas?




Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
There has been a long break. And I am full of education to share. As most know, I got my right knee replaced on September 25. I was healing great until December 8th rolled around. My knee got infected. A small section didn't close right. Redo was done...and I started infusions of antibiotics daily. They were done at the infusion room at the hospital. No at home available. While the daily travel was hard on my body.....fatigue a major problem to healing..things seemed to be going well.

On January 12,2015 I developed a fever. Later, vomiting. Infectious disease doc sent me to the hospital. Blood cultures were taken to compare the cultures from the knee at surgery.

While waiting for blood cultures to grow, I was tested for flu. I was xrayed to rule out pneumonia. They checked to make sure the massive antibiotics didn't kill all the good bacteria in my gut. All the while I got my infusions.

The long and the short of it was my knee was not infected....I was. I had bacteria in my blood which I got from my picc line. They pulled the pic line and used more temporary arrangement while they studied the bacteria in my blood to find the right antibiotic to kill it off.

Nine more days of pills and a visit to the infectious disease doc and this just may be over. I am exhausted.




Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Chris, wishing you a speedy recovery, hope you are feeling better. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom