Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR JustJeff 4/9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is my 5th day post op RTRK and I keep polar cube on my leg all the time. It's very soothing after doing a little excise. I freeze water bottles for ice.
 
One of the big disagreements with my ortho was he didn't, and still doesn't, used these. The reason? One patient, one time, got freezer burn no doubt due to an equipment or user malfunction. Therefore I had one silly little cylindrical ice pack and my big red angry painful knee. Dumb!
 
Hi Jeff,

I also took two of these home with me. They are soooo easy to use. I put mine on a power strip with a switch so that I can turn them off and on as needed. Also put both of mine in a picnic type cooler, this way they stay colder longer and with a towel on the bottom to catch any condensation that may drip. You may want to clean the filter often, as this can slow down the pump.
Best wishes on your recovery,
Tom
 
Oh I like the cooler idea. I froze plastic bottles of water and used them over and over instead of ice cubes. I also loved my polar ice machine!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Ah there you are, my friend! I have some reading for you!

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14
@JustJeff, I have merged your multiple recovery threads. One thread for your recovery please?.
If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Huh! I thought this was the only one. . Except for the first one I jumped in on. But Ok. I have an excuse. . 2, actually!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
So, here it is 11:45 pm on day 19. This is the 2nd night I tried 2x percocet. Everything worked well. Comfortable, no pain, feet elevated, cpap on. Except for one thing. I wasn't sleepy. I usually take a 5mg melatonin pill but I figured with 2 percocets in me I didn't have to. Well I don't want to take it now else my sleep cycle might start later. So I snuck downstairs to read. I'll nap later. After all I have a lot of time now on my hands.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Jozilla, I imagine you're using 16 oz bottles? I don't think my 22 oz bottles will fit in the cube. But my ice maker can't keep up with the Demand. So I may need to buy some.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I just walked down a flight of steps, normally, without pushing on the bannister! One small step for me!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I split time last night between bed and living room lazyboy. I worry if I read up there I'll disturb my wife and it worked well.
Downstairs I can ice all night too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Hey Jeff, I see you got your head on straight.:loll:It was sideways before.
Sounds like you are doing great. I just started going down stairs normally.
It was harder for me than going up the stairs. Great job!!!
 
Actually ironman, I liked it sideways. Added character. Down is definately harder than up. We're so used to not thinking going down that we spend little time in the step transition. When we are more careful the bend is more pronounced and on for longer. I'm just worried that if I try to go back to the former I'll Slip. Catch 22 but it's good for strengthening and bending.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I'm 3 weeks in tomorrow, so for the first time I thought I'd expend some energy and straighten up the kitchen. 20 minutes later I'm exhausted.

At least I have a reference to how much of my body's resources the knees still need.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I just walked down a flight of steps, normally, without pushing on the bannister!
Wow! I think I was able to do this at about the 4-5 month mark.
 
Yes 16 oz bottles. They work great and you will never run out of ice. Great going with the stairs! Stairs still bother me down more than up. Sleeping is an issue for many. I was so fortunate I would take two percocets and sleep!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
We all healat different speeds. I suppose the same genes that gave me bad knees (both my parents had BTKRs) also allowed me to heal from them faster.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I felt during PT today that all the energy was sucked out of my body but I persevered. Now, I'm just dead. I hope that this is just a bump in the road. I did finish all the exercises but I felt like Hell.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom