Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR JustJeff 4/9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go on the steps! be careful though and don't overdo.
 
This afternoon I got very cold, still feeling sick and asked my wife to get me my sweatshirt (something unheard of with me)
The sick feeling persists. I am thinking that the healing process has switched gears into overdrive as my knees are very warm, so I'm sure I have a low grade fever also. I hope this phase is over soon. I can deal with the burning, exhaustion at times and the bands, but the sick feeling is the pits.

Btw, walked from the car into PT
With no support!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Hi, @JustJeff . I just found your thread. I had my BTKR 6 days before you. The one thing I identify with you so far is hot knees, cold core! I'm normally very warm and even on these 80 degree days I've found myself shivering. I think part of it is the ice bags on my knees.:ice:There is enough numbness/warmth in the knees that they don't get chilled but I have to keep blankets on my upper body.

Congrats on what appears to be a better than average recovery! Mind your daughter and the Bonesmart mantras and you'll do just fine!!!!
 
Hope you feel better soon.
I also am a hot person.:snork: And I seem to be cold since the surgery.
Although here in cheese head country it is 40 degrees, rainy & windy.
Throw another blanket on & get another dog for warmth.
 
Thanks guys for once again confirming what I'm feeling! That's the beauty of this forum. We sleep better in knowing we're not alone in this.
@ ironman, my other dog, my German Shepherd puppy just thinks I want to play and grabs her tire for me to throw. :)
[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14


Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Nursing a BTKR is like growing mint. You want to give it what it needs to be healthy but you don't want it taking over the entire garden. It's all a balancing act.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Welcome to the other side. You are going great . By the looks of your picture with the ice pads on your knees, may I suggest you elevate your legs abit higher. Toes above nose. Keep up the great work . One of the most surprising things for me during my recovery was the energy drain and lack of sleep, however I only had 1 messly knee replaced. Even being aware of the energy drain and sleep issues before my surgery , it did surprise me the most. Also be careful of the over rambunctious PTs. They can set you back if you dont set boundaries. Im about 10 weeks out and could not be happier with the outcome. I feel years younger and doing things pain free is great. You are well on your way, just be patient. Ice and elevation where my best friends my first 6 weeks. Best wishes Iceman
 
Thanks iceman! Doing what I need to do. Woke up in a night sweat. Weird for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Morning Jeff. I remember the cold/sweats well. I don't know if it is a result of the trauma your body went thru or the pain meds. Do. You find they coincide with your next pain med time? But yes all normal.

Love your puppy. Makes me want to get a new dog! I had a chow that died about four years ago. It has taking me forever to get over her. She was my soulmate - don't tell hubby! I have a big cat called Big Pun and miniature pinscher called Stella who are my daughters - they all live with me!
[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14


[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14


They both say hi and get well soon!

JoAnne


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I felt during PT today that all the energy was sucked out of my body but I persevered. Now, I'm just dead. I hope that this is just a bump in the road. I did finish all the exercises but I felt like Hell.
I am thinking that the healing process has switched gears into overdrive as my knees are very warm
I think you've nailed it.

I don't know what PT you're doing, but I do know that at under 4 weeks you don't need to do any training (as opposed to stretching, which you do need). You don't need strength work, or anything that makes you breathe rapidly or raises your heart rate. All you need is mobility stretching, which has to be very gentle.

Other than that, doing nothing is the answer :)
 
That's really all they're doing. Simple stretching exercises, strong up and down on a little step, some easy lunges, walking Heel to toe in a narrow cushioned track with handrails. I actually like it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today is turning out to be a much better day than yesterday. Perhaps it was the Tramadol that I took yesterday before pt coupled with the lack of sleep the night before that did it.

But today with sleep under my belt and just Tylenol in my veins, I'm walking up and down steps with little pain and getting out of my recliner with much greater ease.

Has anyone actually tried to get up after lying down on the floor? I'd love to hug a dog but I don't know if I'd be able to get up after that without lots of pain.

My wife had an excellent suggestion from the normal side of humanity: "Just get up on your knees first. " :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Glad today is better. When I do sit on the floor I make sure a couch or chair is nearby so I can pull myself up without kneeling! That's just my way! Hugs to to your puppy - looks like a beautiful dog!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Ok.. I'll try that, but I think I'll wait until my wife gets home. Better yet, I'll ask at pt today.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Jeff,
Ask your PT how to get down and up off the floor. I consider being on the floor one of the great pleasures in life, and hope to be on the floor once I am more mobile. Having been through this before I have the technique down.
Don't try it when you are alone, you could end up like a beached whale.
 
Lol! My dogs would help by licking me a lot, but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I found that I could just lean down with both hand on the floor and legs only slightly bent and roll slightly to on side and settle on my butt. To get up, I push up and roll onto both with both hands and "walk" my hands toward my feet as I bend at the wast until I can stand up (you need to be on a rug or grass to get enough traction with you feet. I started doing that at about 8 weeks post BLTKR :)
 
We need these on you tube. Lol


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I look at my dogs lying comfortably on the floor and I think.. Soon. .. Maybe. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
So I felt much better today and was worked hard but no pain so I was good. Got a good sweat going. I asked about teaching me to get up off the floor and she deferred to My OS, who I see tomorrow for the first time since surgery. I'm hoping he's going to give me the green light to drive. Then I'll be free!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom