TKR I made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 13 Post Op (July 16 2012)
I can't believe it's only been 13 days since my surgery, I knew going into this it wasn't going to be easy due to all the issues I had before hand. Well I think everything has gone well, I knew the ROM would be slow in coming but I haven't been that worried about it as I figured it would come, my OS would like to see a 90 ROM by the 23rd of July when I go in and get my staples out. Well I'm also hoping to reach 90 but after my therapy session today as long as I don't go backwards I do believe I'll be there as I hit 88 ROM which I'm very happy with. So I have to give BS so much credit for this, when I first got home from the hospital I was pushing it. Well I made my knee swell up like a basketball so I went back reread everything and started doing what BS said to to Rest-Elevate-Ice, so that's what I started doing. I would do my basic exercises then Rest-Ice-Elecate plus I used the CPM Machine for 30 minute. I would do this in the following order
Wake Up and do the CPM for 1 hour-Shower and clean up the rest,elevate and ice for an hour, then I would do my exercises for a hour then back to rest-elevate-ice for an hour, then repeat except for the shower part- I would do this throughout the day until about 7 pm. From 7 pm until about midnight I would keep my leg elevated and iced after midnight I would keep my leg elevated but no ice, and call it a night. This seems to be working for me as I haven't been in any kind of pain but still doing everything I need to do. Not looking backwards but got my eyes on the prize of having a normal life again.
 
Good job! Thanks for the schedule, too. Knowing what works for others is very helpful. So glad for you!
 
All this talk of 'icing' on Bonesmart makes me think that it's surprising friends & relatives don't give us their cakes to decorate! :heehee:
 
Day 14 Post Op (July 17th 2012)
Today marks my 2 weeks post op, it sure seems like it's been a lot longer then just 14 days but then again I've been dealing with this since the beginning of February 2012. Well for the past 7 days I've had a temporary home physical therapist as the one that was assigned to me and started with me on Saturday the 7th of July went on vacation (she's so lucky). Well she was back today and she was really surprised to how far I have come. On Sat the 7th my ROM was 68 degrees and as of yesterday (as we didn't take it today as she only likes to test for ROM every 3 days to once a week depending on the person) it was 88 degrees, she was really surprised and extremely happy at my progress. So today we worked on my walking once we got done with my exercises which again she was surprised at how much I was able to do on my own or with just a little bit of help. Now for the walking, I've been using a walker since February and taught myself how to walk with a stiff leg. She had me walking around the kitchen holding onto the counter top with one hand, and I was able to walk without my walker, this felt so good. So to me for just being out for 14 days I'm extremely happy with my progress and if I can hit 90 ROM by next Monday I will be on the top of the world as that was my first goal that I set for myself is to be at 90 ROM by the time I meet with my OS and have my staples removed and I'm so close but I still have to take it easy as not to hurt myself at this stage in the game.
 
I'm extremely happy with my progress and if I can hit 90 ROM by next Monday I will be on the top of the world as that was my first goal that I set for myself is to be at 90 ROM by the time I meet with my OS and have my staples removed and I'm so close but I still have to take it easy as not to hurt myself at this stage in the game.
Exactly.
 
I have a question, well I probably have several of them but one at a time so I don't get confused:
The question I have is at night when I go to bed I use my 7" wedge to keep my leg elevated all night long. How long should I keep this up, yes I can sleep like this but I think I could probably sleep better and longer without the wedge but my way of thinking is hey my leg is elevated at least 8 hours straight. Any ideas or thoughts on this.
 
What are you doing during the day? If you are still home recuperating during the day, I would concentrate on elevating it then and sleep however is most comfortable at night. After all, when you're sleeping, your feet are at least elevated off the floor. Regardless of what you are doing at night, it's important to elevate during the day.
 
There are no "rules" about how long you should elevate. It's all about what brings you comfort. Try sleeping without the wedge and see if it helps. Elevate during the day when you can.
 
Randall,

I'd pick sleep, the most sleep, as much as you can get, at night. Sleep is restorative. As someone who has sleep issues post op I can tell you it makes a world of difference in your outlook and ability to cope when you are well rested with sleep.

There is no reason that you can't use the wedge in bed durring the day with ice on your knees and a book, computer, i Pad or other distraction on your lap. Nice idea about the wedge where did you find a wedge?

ChrisO
 
Randall,

I just caught up on your posts and you are doing great! The right knee just like me! :wink: I am so glad you are elevating and icing so much. That will help so much to get that knee to "feelin' good again!" :yahoo:
 
During the day and since I'm on day 14 post op today, I do a lot resting, elevating and icing. I do all my exercises and the CPM during the day with several breaks. I exercises for about 45 minutes then I elevate and ice for a minimum of 30 minutes, then I do the CPM for about 45-60 minutes then elevate and ice for a minimum of 30 minutes. I do this throughout the whole day starting at about 8 am to about 5 pm. From 5 pm I rest the rest of the day with my leg elevated and iced, again ice on for 30 minutes and off for about 45 minutes, I do this for the rest of the evening or until I call it a night then I just keep my leg elevated. As I had a lot of issues coming into this I don't want any issues on this side and so far haven't. In my mind I was thinking if I kept it elevated even at night while I was sleeping it would help with the swelling down but wasn't really sure.

ChrisO I got the wedge at a Medical Supply Store, Amazon also carries them. I got a 7" and 10" but have found that I like the 7" a lot better.
 
Randall,

I just caught up on your posts and you are doing great! The right knee just like me! :wink: I am so glad you are elevating and icing so much. That will help so much to get that knee to "feelin' good again!" :yahoo:

Sonja I had a lot of the same issues as you did in retrospect , In February I had gotten a Septic Knee which gave me a bad case of Staph Infection. I had fluid on my knee so the Doctor decided to remove the fluid, this was done on Saturday and by Friday I was having emergency surgery. I don't blame the doctor or anybody else as I believe God has a plan and this just might have been part of it as it has opened so many doors for me. I've learned so much in the last few months and I have to thank so many people here for helping me through those bad days. Yes I'm full agreement with you on keeping the leg elevated, anytime I'm sitting my leg is elevated, I even sleep with it elevated.
 
I'm on day 14 post op today, I do a lot resting, elevating and icing.
I exercises for about 45 minutes then I elevate and ice for a minimum of 30 minutes 1hr 15mns
then I do the CPM for about 45-60 minutes then elevate and ice for a minimum of 30 minutes 1hr 30mns
I do this throughout the whole day starting at about 8 am to about 5 pm. making about 6 sessions? That's about 10 hrs
:rolleyes: and when do you have time for life?
From 5 pm I rest the rest of the day with my leg elevated and iced, again ice on for 30 minutes and off for about 45 minutes
Why? :scratch: Just slap the thing on and leave it there until it gets warm!
As I had a lot of issues coming into this I don't want any issues on this side and so far haven't.
Such as?

Honey, you are making this into an obsession! There is absolutely no need for you to do so much exercises. Three times a day is plenty. As for the icing, just put the thing on and leave until it looses it's 'cool'! Sleep with it on, whatever. You must be exhausted by the end of the day!

Elevating you can do while you are icing and watching TV or whatever. And the others are right, choose sleep over elevating at night.

Where you ever given these articles to read? If not you should spend some time reading them now.

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
I am wondering about the whole elevating thing as well...I am soon going to be having a rpkr and my OS says NO elevating at all and I didn't with the lpkr (may 9th) either. Just wondering if anyone else was told to NOT elevate?
 
I bought my wedge from FootSmart, someone from on here posted it as you have to be careful that it doesn't bend your knees. Well I got it and thought I would "practice" using it and I am finding it very comfy to use it at night. I told my husband I am hoping to sleep in bed instead of the recliner like I did with my hip replacement. So I have that, what about a leg lifter, do you all have them, do you need them???
 
JustmeT, your OS may be concerned that you would use one of those wedges where the knee is bent.
[Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side
[Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side
But with either of these, it is not an issue. And even with a partial, recovery is much the same as for a total no matter what they say. And you will have swelling--and elevating and icing are one of the very best things for that plus the icing also reduces pain.


Take care, keep posting, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side
 
Randall, I do believe that things happen in life for a reason. It is up to us to decide to be proactive and positive, or reactive and negative. I don't blame anyone when things don't go as they had hoped because I realize I could be in their shoes! It is great you are staying positive! God makes the impossible seem easy sometimes, doesn't He!
 
Hi Randall,

What a great report. Keep up the good work but please keep in mind to do it slow and steady. I hope your journey continues to be a good one. Also remember not to set the goals you make to high and then get discourage if you don't quite make it. I am sure your OS will be pleased with your success.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom