TKR I made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 3 Post Op and it's going great or so everyone is telling me it is-All the normal stuff this morning except that the OS released me once I had my Physical Therapy Session this morning-So around 9:00 am I had my PT Session and then got scheduled to be released to go home :dancy:. So I was released around 12:00 pm today and we were headed home, oh what a feeling it was to be heading home. So I got into the car with no problem but then I noticed I just couldn't bend my leg like I thought I would be able to, they said it will take a few days to get everything back up and working again but whatever I do do not push my body-I said geez wonder where I've heard that before, lol

On the way home we got a call that the CPM Machine was on it's way to the house, we both arrived about the same time. We got the machine and got it set up so I started in on it as I felt like I was not getting the bend out of the knee that I needed or wanted. I went into this with a stiff knee and the OS said that I would be lucky if I get 90 ROM when all of this is all done, I don't accept this at all.

So I've been using the CPM all afternoon, with a schedule something like 60 mins on the CPM then 15 min off icing then restart again-I'm also increasing the CPM at 5 degrees each time I restart-Well it's about 11:00 pm and I just finished doing 90 ROM for an hour, now It's ice time-I will ice this one for 15-20 minuted and then will start again-I will start out at 90 ROM for about 10-15 minutes then increase it to 95 ROM-My gaol is to try to get it to 125 ROM by Monday morning on the CPM-Doing leg slides (Which is all on me) I want to be able to get 110-125 ROM by Monday morning-Means a lot of work but not really just listening to my body-My leg doesn't really seem sore but it's sure tired-Having to rebuild all of my muscle as I have lost all of it-My knee feels so good as I forgot what it should feel like lol

I don't have any pain in or around the knee but my foot is sore and tired but I think thats due to-Sitting here thinking I just might call it a night and not use the CPM tonight and get a good nights sleep-Well its been a good week for me, getting this RTKR done was one of the best things I could have done. I have learned that you can control the pain by listening to the doctors/nurses and your body. Don't push your body around. LOL I've woken my self up doing the ankle bends which are very good for you-I was told you should do about 100 of them a day and through out the day not in one sitting-For now this is my post but I'm sure I will be on again later tonight lol-
 
Hi BA, don't set yourself up for unrealistic expectations on that ROM over the weekend! Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that and it doesn't much matter what WE want to happen on some timeframe, but the knee will take the time it needs to get where it's going to go. Your surgeon may have reason to think 90 degrees is where you will get to, or you may surprise him! I don't know a lot about this, but I think a hinged knee is not the same as a normal knee replacement and it may have it's own limitations. There are a couple of people here that have hinged knees, so you might look for their threads. You could do a search for hinged knee or someone can direct you. I do wish you the very best and hope you will be able to embrace the little milestones as they come, even if they fall short of what your ultimate goals are, as those goals will take longer than what you will wish for! That is true of all of us!
 
Sounds like you're doing just fine, born again. Do your cpm etc, but remember the knee need rest and ice too. You can't force it.The ROM will come when the KNEE is darn good and ready. It will rebel :hissy:if you try to push it on your schedule.
 
kneeper said:
Sounds like you're doing just fine, born again. Do your cpm etc, but remember the knee need rest and ice too. You can't force it.The ROM will come when the KNEE is darn good and ready. It will rebel :hissy:if you try to push it on your schedule.

Oh! I forgot to say. You should not ice just before using the CPM. I was told to wait at least 20 minutes or so after the ice comes off before resuming the CPM. Do ice right after using it. Have a good weekend!
 
After my surgery on Tuesday (3rd of July) I was put on a CPM Machine and told to use it as much as possible, I had asked for clarification on as much as possible. They said that if I'm not doing therapy exercises or sleeping I should be using the CPM Machine. So my question is how many people out there using the CPM Machine, and if using it how often and how are you using it.

I use it for 2-3 hours at a time I start off at 50 degrees and work my way up, I go as far up as to where it starts to hurt but not hurt bad enough to hurt me. I have gotten up to 90 degrees but not past that point as of yet. I was told not to try to sleep with it running but have heard of people going to sleep with it running, any thoughts on this.

Thanks
 
My OS had me use it in hospital. They left it on 1 or 2 hours. Two or three times a day. If I could sleep that was fine. OS said I would not need it at home. Felt walking and moving was best. There are mixed reports on how well it works. Seems to me it can't be bad. Just might not be as helpful as many believe.
 
My doctor prescribed the CPM machine 3 times a day for 2 hours at a time. I did not sleep with it. Six hours was enough for me and I celebrated when the CPM was picked up. I had a love/hate relationship with it. :heehee:
 
Well........ 2 times I used it for my knee operations and 2 times I didn't. I haven't noticed any difference, except that when it was in my hospital room, it was neat to hang stuff on it! :rotfl:
 
Research shows CPM is not necessay, outcomes are the same. No need to push with the CPM, keep it comfortable.
 
This is a very interesting question. The first time I used it with my right leg in the hospital and not much at home. Leg blew and I was horrible sore. This time on my left I used in at the hospital and now using at home. Great machine. My leg is not as swollen and not as score. Noticed the leg is getting better quicker with the machine. Whenever it gets swollen I was told to use the machine than ice. It is sure working for me this time. I use it about 5 to 8 hours a day. You aren't doing much anyway so if it gives you a edge. Why not. I plan to use it till I have to give it up. I have about two weeks left, I would like to have it longer. The number I am at is 100 and so far so good. I did start low but have worked up to this number. Some will like it and some won't. The first time was a hate love because I couldn't get off 90 but this time its working much better. Does it work. Yes. Could I of done with out it. I could of not gotten it but I want all the edge I can get. I do notice I can bend the knee better right after using it. I think you need to come to the conclusion by your self. I do know our saying If it hurts, stop. Rest, Ice, Elevate and do Pain Control. Take care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1: It also forces me to stop because what can you do while using it but rest.
 
Day 4 Post Op update: :dancy:
Well another day has come and gone and I'm still feeling pretty good.
At 10:00 this morning I had the Physical Therapist at the house to go through everything with me, We set up an exercise program that she would like me to go by and I agreed too. She would like to see my ROM around 100-115 before I move onto out patient therapy (as of right now I'm at 78 ROM) but if I don't get there in 2 weeks (that's how long my home therapy is for) it just means I have to work a little harder in Out Patient Therapy. She talked about listening to our bodies and not pushing ourselves, that is what got me listening to her. She said we make goals but if we don't make them theres no need to worry about it as we will get there, our knee/body is in charge not us and I had to agree with her on this. So starting tomorrow I will be doing and or getting plenty of exercises, Icing, elevating of the leg and rest. I'm looking forward to all of this as it's been a long time in coming, it hasn't been a easy road and I just don't think the road is going to get any easier but there is light at the end of the road.

So at about 11:45 this morning the Home Health Care Nurse showed up, she spent about an hour and a half checking me over and asking questions. She said everything looks good for what I've been through and said she will be back on Tuesday, I said OK and she was on her way.

Well now it's about 1:30 in the afternoon so I got back on the CPM Machine and let it do its thing, I did learn that when it comes down to 0.0 I should do the exercise of the Quad Sets where you tighten the thigh muscle pushing the knee down into the surface and hold for a count of 10. i have the CPM set for a 10 second delay so this works great. I started the CPM at 60 degrees and did it for 30 minutes and from there I moved up 5 degrees until I got to 90 degrees. From there I decided it was nap time so I had my wife get my ice bag and she filled it with ice got my wedge out and setup so I went to bed with my leg elevated and iced at the same time, this was about 6:00 pm

I slept for about 2 hours or so got up ate dinner and then decided since it was late I would do the CPM Machine again. It was about 9:00 pm when I got started and I finished up around 1:15 am and went from 60 degrees to 95 degrees.

Well its been a fun filled day but it's time to call it a night but wanted to give everybody an update as to my day. Still not in a lot of pain but staying on top of my pain meds, doing about 100 ankle pumps per day along with the Quad Sets about 100 of them per day. Still have a long way to go but with each day that goes by I'm feeling better but I'm also learning a lot. I'm thinking about purchasing an ice machine for my knee does anyone have any ideas on what kind to get or what would be the best type to purchase for the icing of my knee. Thanks in advance.
 
My OS put me on it my second day in hospital. I did not get back to my room until 5:00 pm from surgery and he lies to waitb5 hours after a patient is back to their room. That would have Been 10:00 and I'm sure all pt were gone. I did it all the time while in the hospital except for sleeping. I tried that and I could not stand the constant motion. I started at 45 and the first day he wanted me to get to 65 so I set my timer and every 15 minutes I would raise it one degree instead of 5 degrees every hour. I don't like pain so I thought a little at a time was more. Comfortable. 90 was my goal for second day. I made it to 92. Had to beg for n
Machine to come home with me and didn't get it until I was home 3 days so it was like starting from 0 again. I still have not gotten up to 90. I was up to 80 yesterday but this morning started back at 66 and up to 74 in 30 minutes. I do not like getting on the cpm set at my previous number because I'm stiff when first waking up. It is passive motion so it does nothing to strength the muscles but I like it because I feel like it stretches me out more than I would do on my own. I had good leg muscles going into surgery so I feel like I'm strong enough to do the exercises I just need help. I've decided not to stress about numbers. I like to win at things and need to realize this is a race I need to do against myself and quit comparing my progress to others. Good luck with your recovery
 
I had my surgery June 29 and have been in cpm 4 hours per day
since. I also do exercises 3x per day
I love the cpm and am up to 100
Good luck!
Silver
 
I was put into the CPM set at 90 in the recovery room. My dr's Orders are to using it for a minimum of 6 hours a day, split into multiple sessions, and to increase the Max degrees by 5 every day, until reaching max of 120.

I cannot put the foot strap on by myself, so I have to wait to use it until someone else is home and willing to strap me in, and let me out when done. So I usually only get in 2 sessions, 1 for 2 hours and 1 for 4 hours. So what I do in the AM is start at 90 and stay there for 10 minutes, then increase it to 100 for 10 minutes, then increase to 110 for the rest of the time. In the Evening, I start at 90, and raise it by 5 degrees every 15 minutes until I have 5 degrees more than the night before. Last night I got to 115. Tonight I should hit the max, 120, and get to hange out there every morning and night until I have to return it on 7/17.

DO not sleep with it on, sometimes you can get a muscle spasm and need to stop, but if you are sleeping you might not feel the spasm fast enough, and could hurt yourself. Also it is never a good idea to sleep when hooked up to something electrical, just in case there is an electrical problem of some kind.
 
I too used it in the hospital. Didn't mind it so much. My OS said that there isn't a lot of evidence to prove its worth, but it certainly can't hurt.
 
Hello fellow Bone Smarties
I have a quick question for all of you that are using a Ice Machine. I've decided to get an Ice Machine even though I'm on Post Op Day 5. I know there is still a long road ahead of me and for some reason I messed getting one on my list. So my question is what is the best one out there to get, along with being the best it needs to be easy to use. So which one would any of you suggest. Thanks in advance for all your help.
 
I used a cryo cuff in hospital, it was great but it s the only one I saw so can't comment on others
 
My OS said that there isn't a lot of evidence to prove its worth, but it certainly can't hurt.
Well, actually I beg to differ. There is some evidence that it can actually increase the swelling and inflammation and that's not good for one's recovery. Specially if the user is over-enthusiastic with it!

Also the clue is in the "P" which stands for passive meaning it doesn't do much for the muscle tone, only active exercise does that.
 
After my BTKR, I asked my OS why I didn't have a CPM. He replied that he didn't believe in them. My father, who had two TKR's about a year apart, had one in use three times a day in the hospital; his OS said that they helped out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom