TKR I made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an allergy to latex so i can only use a special type that is called the Breg cooler. It works very well.i
 
I am a bilateral almost 3 years out. I liked the cpm. In fact, there was a shortage of them, with people asking for them. If they had enough, I'd used them doubley. If you don't like something at the hospital, it's good to ask about why you are doing/using it too.
 
In using this machine I did notice that my swelling did go down. Moving is good to a point. And not overdoing is so important. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
I never had the opportunity to use one, it was never offered to me so perhaps the hosp I was in did not endorse them. I have a friend who had a LTKR in Dec last year, she was on the CPM in hosp but did not take it home. She seems to have done ok but I have been curious about them and wanted to hire one for a while. Despite being hugely expensive and after reading Josephines comments I dont think I will bother. I am doing home exercises anyway and I do use an exercise bike.
Best of luck to everyone, everyone at their own pace :tada:.
Ciao Viv xxx
 
My surgeon has stopped using them, he said he didn't see a lot of difference overall for those who used them and those who didn't. In talking to people I know who have had knee replacements, that seems to hold true. Some used them, some didn't, but those who didn't, didn't always have slower recoveries.
 
I had one with my RKTR in 2008 and again with my LTKR 6/18/12. I had it in the hospital and have it at home. I use it about 6 hours per day broken up into 2 hour sessions. Sometimes I don't get all my sessions in. I have noticed that my leg feels better after a CPM session. Mine will be picked up this Thursday. I have had nothing but good experiences with mine.
 
Also the clue is in the "P" which stands for passive meaning it doesn't do much for the muscle tone, only active exercise does that.

Well I have to fully agree with Josephine here on this point, the CPM Machine will not and does not help you with your muscle tone. Just good old exercise will help you with the rebuilding your muscle and muscle tone.

Now I think the CPM Machine has it place and uses, for example if your scar tissue grows back fast the CPM Machine would be good for you as it keeps your knee moving where you can't all the time, so the scar tissue can't grew back or build up like it normally would. Like in my case I had a stiff knee going into surgery and like the old saying says (or what i've been told it says) is if you have a stiff knee going in your going to have a stiff knee when you come out, do all of your therapy and we'll see what you end up with. But with the CPM Machine even though you have a stiff knee going into surgery you start using it within 24 hours of surgery and you should get a min of 90 degrees of ROM, but from what I've been told by Physical Therapist's and Orthopedic Surgeons is that you should get at least 125-130. All the OS I talked to agreed on this and they also agreed that they hope each person gets a min of 90 ROM and anything above that is a bonus.

So back to the question at hand Yes I use the CPM Machine and glad that I am. Even though I'm using it I'm still having trouble getting the ROM needed, I know I will get it but it just takes a lot longer with a stiff knee.

I more thing I would like to add here and I think I might add a new post not sure yet, but first thing first I want to give a big hug and thank you to Josephine. I got on this board back in Feb 2012 and Josephine sent me all kinds of reading material but I was so scared as I had just come from the OS and all he gave me was doom and gloom. Well after reading the material that was sent to me I started doing a lot of research that lined up with my issue (I had Staph Infection) so the next time I was to meet with the OS which was a week later I had questions that needed to be answered and he did answer them one at a time. From Josephine doing that I kept reading posts and articles from BS so when I had my RTKR done on the 3rd of July I knew what to expect and what to do. So I'm now Post Op day 6 and my in home physical therapists mind has been blown due to the knowledge I have gotten off of this site. So in about 2 weeks I move to Out Patient Therapy the real fun starts, and I will be able to pass this board onto other people. Again Thank You Josephine for all you do for us.
 
I hated the cpm---I am not the type of person to lie there for 3 hours with my leg moving. My doc does not use them after you have a rom of 90. I had 90 on day one, so no cpm. I think they are annoying and you can move around the house and get better exercise in--also it hurt my back to just lie there!!

I can understand someone with a stiff knee moving very slowly on the thing--but if your knee is swollen and "tight" I don't think the cpm is a good idea as it will make the knee more swollen.

Therre is clear evidence that they don't do a thing for anyone--but, if it feels good to you, and you want to use it for an hour or so--well then as long as you do not overdo, I don't think there is serious harm. Kelly
 
Day 8 of Post Op
Well it's day 8 since I had my surgery, I feel pretty good for everything I've been through. My swelling has been going down pretty steadily but today it had gone up enough to to concern the physical therapist, per the physical therapist my knee felt a little warmer today also. I did all of my exercises today as per plan and at the end of our time she rechecked my ROM to see if I've lost anything. On Monday my ROM was at 84 degrees well today it was at 85 degrees so that is good (but I was hoping for more) The therapist seems to think that I've over done it (which I probably have) so she wants me not to do any more exercises today or use the CPN Machine, she wants me to just relax and keep my leg elevated and keep it iced.
So hopefully by tomorrow my swelling will be back down and I can keep moving forward. I have a long way to go and sure don't want to mess things up now by pushing to hard as my ROM will come. As long as I have 90 degree ROM or more by the time I go and see the OS everything else will be fine. The OS will then put me into out patient therapy, and from there I will get the rest of my ROM along with rebuilding of leg muscle. Anyway i've made it to day eight and besides the swelling issue and the warmth of my knee everything is going good. Can't wait until the 23 of July to get my staples out as that will be a big step forward for me.
 
Your therapist sounds like a good one. You seem to be doing well.
 
Day 09 Post Up (July 12 2012)
Well I sure can tell I'm in that 2 week slump where all kinds of things go wrong (not sure if that the right word to use or not) My pain had increased a little bit but not bad, swelling had gone up and I had trouble bending my knee. Now I wasn't bending my knee at that good to begin with so I hated to lose what little bit of ROM I had gained, but what you going to do when she decides to swell up? You gotta ICE, so I'm having a little set back but the way I look at it I'm only 9 days out of a major surgery and this just isn't going to heal its self overnight so I just need to keep doing what I know works and keep looking forward. So today I had a different PT come to the house as my regular PT went on vacation until next week (Lucky Her) So my new PT wasn't going to show until about 5:00 pm, So I thought since yesterday I had a lot of swelling and I was stiff and sore I would just take it easy until she shows up. So all I did this morning are my 10 basic exercises then just rested and elevated my leg and iced it all day. She shows up and takes my measurement of my knee and yep she has swollen up a little more. I knew I had over done it the other day so this comes as no surprise to me. So we went through all of the exercises plus a couple more then she started to message my right thigh (she's the first PT to do this since the surgery) man that felt good. She worked my knee cap and got it moving real good, I'm not going to say it hurt but didn't feel real good. Then she started in on the T Band oh man is it tight and sore. She spent about 20-30 minutes on it and afterwards it felt good but during it well just it HURT but I knew it needed to be worked on. So she finished up and now it's about 6:30 and I go and elevate and ice my knee for about an hour, then my wife was looking at my knee and said something and then grabbed the tape and measured my knee. I told her was swollen and the swelling hasn't come down just yet, well to my surprise my knee went from 42 cm to 41.5 cm boy was I shocked. So I guess messaging my knee area like that really helped. So I'm looking forward to tomorrow to see what happens. But I'm in week number 2 and anything can happen and I have a long road ahead of me. Besides what I've listed everything looks good, just can't wait to get out of the house and have a normal life again.
 
Yes, massage, when done correctly, is a good way to help with aches, pains and circulation. You might ask your PT to teach you how to do the massage.

For instance, my PT does a retro massage where she starts at the foot and ankle and moves up to the calf when my lower extremity is swollen. If your ankle area is not swollen yet, wellll... it will be. And that is a massage that your wife might be able to do for you.

Then there is a lymphatic massage to help drain the knee area. My PT does it wonderfully well to help with the additional fluid hanging out by my knee.

Plus, just a regular massage in the area. I am always concerned about touching something and pushing too hard and causing myself more misery, but she showed me various areas on my knee where I tend to build up fluid that I can massage slowly, lightly and with small strokes several times a day that help me with swelling.

Finally, of course, I am a biiiiiiggg believer in icing. Ice works on soooooo many levels! :)
 
Hi Randall,
Sounds like you are doing well. You had asked about an ice machine. I have a Polar Ice machine. I got it when I had my RTKR July 3,2008. It was a life saver. I had my LTKR June 18,2012 and that little machine is once again at the top of my list of favorite things!:) My insurance covered the cost of it. It works great, it looks like a small cooler but has a pump inside with tubing running up to a cuff that goes around your leg. My hubby freezes ice in some plastic trays and small plastic bottles and it keeps me chilling! It lasts about 3 hours. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. God bless!:angel:
 
Day 10 Post Op (July 13 2012)
One of these nights I'm going to sleep through the whole night or should I say one of these nights I'm going to sleep. :loll: I know this gets better with time like a good wine it takes time to mature. :rotfl: But I'm cheap and I mean real cheap, Im soooo ready for this to be over with. We measured my knee this morning and we have now gone from 41.5 to 41 :dancy: my goal is 38.5 as that is what my left knee is, so with a lot of ICE and elevating I know I'm going to get there, it won't be tomorrow or the next day but I will get there.
Well we went and got a Donjoy Iceman #3 Clear from my OS and I have been running it for what seems like none stop but I wonder if it is as good as just putting ice on the knee. I guess only time will tell on this. Well we have big plans today as the Home PT will be here between 11:30 and 12:30 and we'll do my exercises then I will elevate my leg and ice my knee. We'll do that for a couple of hours then we will do a few more exercises and then back to elevating and icing. I've gotten where without even thinking about it I'm doing ankle pumps and quad sets which I think has been helping out quite a bit. Well I hope the rest of you Bone Smarties have a great day.
 
I did notice that walking this morning my knee was hurting more then usual, not sure if this is from the PT working my knee cap yesterday or what but really don't like the feeling but what you going to do about it but put more ice on it.
 
You are doing so well Randall - I feel exhausted just reading your posts! Remember the knee is in charge - no goals!
I am now 5 weeks post op & impatient for that 'normal' feeling, suspect it may be some time yet. God bless, Rita :SUNsmile:
 
I did notice that walking this morning my knee was hurting more then usual, not sure if this is from the PT working my knee cap yesterday or what but really don't like the feeling but what you going to do about it but put more ice on it.

So the Therapist showed up and did her routine of checking me out, everything checked out good. She measured my knee and it shows it has gone down a little bit compared to yesterday's measurement. So I did my exercises and she gently pushed me on a couple of them. So my extension is still at 0 and my ROM dropped down to 80 but we're doing good. She massaged the knee and thigh area, she had my knee cap moving and worked that area and she moved to the outside of the knee and man oh man was that sore. I have to remember that my knee had been damaged back in February and I haven't been able to bend my knee since then and everything in my right leg has gotten stiff. So it's just going to take time to get it to loosen up. I think all in all for only being 10 days out I'm doing good, yes I wish I could have a better ROM but that will come. Yes I wish I would walk without my walker or without a limp but these items will come. Keeping my head up and looking for a brighter tomorrow as it's there.
 
Randall,

Don't sell yourself short. You are doing great, even if we feel things are a very small improvment, they really are big in the scheme of things. Keep on keeping on. You seem to have a really great attitude with this recovey just keep in mind IT WILL GET THERE. Just like a marathon, we cannot see the finish when we start but we know it is out there.
 
Day 10 Post Op (July 13 2012)
Well it's been a long day but I think it's been a good day. I spent most of the day with my leg elevated and iced, I did do a short work out but mostly elevating and icing. So I'll talk to you all tomorrow unless I can't sleep tonight then I'll be on here until I can fall a sleep.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom