TKR I made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
JusTme and Randall,

I was never told to or not to elevate. In the hospital I was not elevated but I also had a femoral block for the time I was there. When they removed the block the swelling looked liked a watemelon stuffed in a sausage casing.( I was RUSHED down to ultrasound immediately to check for dvt's before I could leave) As soon as I got home I checked here with Bonesmart and was told to elevate, what a difference it made. In my case elevation doesn't agree with me too much so I only did it during the day for about the first 2 weeks.
 
Josephine,
Well I have to give you another big thank you, I'm such a workaholic and I turn everything I do into a job. I sat back and read and reread your response and realized that I was doing it again. Before all of this happened I would put in at least 14-16 hours a day and here I'm doing it again. It's so hard to just sit back and relax when I haven't been taught how to relax even though I'm trying to learn since all of this has happened, as I have realized there is more to life then work. So I'm going to do what you suggested and only exercise 3 times per day. I have read just about everything you have posted and have learned so much from you and this site and I just keep learning.
 
JustmeT, your OS may be concerned that you would use one of those wedges where the knee is bent. And even with a partial, recovery is much the same as for a total no matter what they say. And you will have swelling--and elevating and icing are one of the very best things for that plus the icing also reduces pain.

Thank you Judy, that could very well be the reason, I will have to remember to ask him when I see him again in August.
T.
 
You surely must have read the article I gave you called "Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain"? It's all described in there in much greater detail. Plus correct and incorrect ways to elevate. Don't you remember that?
 
You surely must have read the article I gave you called "Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain"? It's all described in there in much greater detail. Plus correct and incorrect ways to elevate. Don't you remember that?

I do sorta remember reading it but I read so much I guess this one slipped by me....sorry :sorry:! I will have to go back and reread it so that I will have that knowledge in the forefront of my mind when for when I have my rpkr soon.
T.

p.s. I went back and read it, thank you Jo for directing back to there...I admit I did miss reading that one from the library. Oops!:umm:
 
Excellent report---keep it up! I also agree--be wary of setting goals, as, at this time, your knee is in charge. Just take the days as they happen and keep on forging ahead. do not be in a hurry and take it patiently---something that many of us, myself included, had to learn.
 
Randall, now is the time to do some of the things you were going to do when you had time!!! I am doing a bible study on James by Beth Moore. I knit and I watched all of the Jane Austen videos again!! I love them. Plus I love the english murder mystery genre. I also M.C. Beaton's books on Hamish McBeth a highland detective. I am sure there are lots of things you have forgone for your work day. Now is the time to pick up one or two of them.

My daughter is the CEO of an advertising company===she works non stop all day every day. it is rewarding for her in terms of finances and success----but life is more than work.

I did sleep with my legs on three pillow---my legs would eventually fall off, but I think it is good for the swelling to use every opportunity to get the legs elevated. Kelly
 
Randall, I have merged all four of your threads into this one. On the recovery side, we prefer that you keep all your questions, etc regarding recovery in one thread. This way we have all your info together in one place making it easier for us to get to all the pertinent info when trying to answer questions or concerns. Thanks for your cooperation.
 
I just can't wait to get out there and ride my bike again, I know it's going to sit most of the summer but thinking that I should be ready and leg strong enough by September to get back on her and ride down the coast. Just sitting here thinking about the life that I'm going to be getting back, and I'm going to learn how to enjoy life and not work all the time.
 
Just sitting here thinking about the life that I'm going to be getting back, and I'm going to learn how to enjoy life and not work all the time.

[Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side
This is a wonderful goal to set for yourself. This is the only time we're going to go around on this earth; and though work is good, it isn't everything. One needs to take time to enjoy life, do things that are fun and buoy the spirit. You know "all work and no play makes Randall a dull boy".

But don't push your recovery trying to get there too soon.
[Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side
September is just 2 months post op---not nearly enough time I'm thinking to be riding a bike down the coast. It's likely to be more like December---but you're in Florida
[Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side
so weather should not be a problem. Just please take it easy and don't do anything that sets your recovery back---at getting too enthusiastic about something you want to do badly can do that to you.
 
I should have explained a little better, what I call a bike isn't a bicycle but a motorcycle, I would agree that Sept. would way to early to be bike riding along the coast but I think taking a ride on a bike might be ok, but if not then I'll be parking the bike until I can. My biggest goal is to be able to take my wife to Night of Joy in Orlando.
 
Hi Randall, Congratulations on your successful surgery! Its amazing that you are already starting your diary from day 1. You seemed to be so alert. I recalled that I couldn't concentrate much on anything for the first few days. Keep up with the good spirit and hope things go smoothly for you.
 
Sure wish I could fall asleep, I'm very tired but no matter what I do I can't fall asleep. I've even taken the sleeping pills but they don't help. Well today is 3 weeks since my surgery, my staples came out today and OS said everything looks good. I start out patient therapy tomorrow (Tuesday). Right now I only have a ROM of around 80 and I'm sure hoping and praying that I get at least 120 ROM. OS said he would be very happy if I can get a 90 and stay there, he said I went into this with a stiff leg and it's hard to get good ROM when you start off with a stiff leg. I don't accept this and like I said I'm going for a minimum of 120 ROM. I go back for me 6 week check up Aug. 13th and I hope I have the 120 by then but I will have to wait and see what I end up with. Anyway here's a quick update as to what is going on, now only if I could sleep. Sure tired of watching Triple D (Diners-Drive Inns and Dives) even though I do like the show.
 
Elevating was OUT for me as it aggravated sciatic pain. I have managed so far with resting, icing & raising my legs (on a reclining chair) to a comfortable but not problematic level. It's probably best not to be too literal with the mantra!:umm:
Good luck
 
Josephine,
Well I have to give you another big thank you, I'm such a workaholic and I turn everything I do into a job. I sat back and read and reread your response and realized that I was doing it again. Before all of this happened I would put in at least 14-16 hours a day and here I'm doing it again. It's so hard to just sit back and relax when I haven't been taught how to relax even though I'm trying to learn since all of this has happened, as I have realized there is more to life then work. So I'm going to do what you suggested and only exercise 3 times per day. I have read just about everything you have posted and have learned so much from you and this site and I just keep learning.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Only just caught up with this. I am the opposite of you -- I am the world's laziest man. (I used to enter the world championships, but nowadays I can't be bothered ------ ba-boom tsssssssssschhh). This stood me in great stead in the early weeks of recovery - where you are - because <Gordon Gekko voice> laziness is good </Gordon Gekko voice> . Perhaps turning it into work ("I am now proactively watching TV" ) might be a help?

Sounds like you're doing great -- just one thing: it's OK to relax, OK?
 
Randall, in these early days of recovery, you cannot expect to go to bed at night and sleep soundly for 8 hours. It just doesn't work that way. Surgery takes a huge toll on your systems and time is needed to get everything regulated again. So for the next few months, please just go where your body takes you. If it says nap at 10:00 in the morning in the recliner, do it. If the call is for the couch at 2:30 in the afternoon, go for it! It really doesn't matter where and when you get your rest.

I like your attitude about the ROM you hope to attain. Frankly no one knows where you will end up and it is possible for you to have improved ROM over what you had before surgery. Just don't fall into the trap of trying to push to get a certain number by a certain date. You can gain ROM for a year or more after surgery. The important thing is to take things slow and not work so hard that you cause inflammation and swelling. Remember, you didn't get to your pre-surgery state overnight. Recovery also will not be accomplished in a short period of time.
 
I bought a IPad 2 about a year ago but really haven't used it so I decided to start using it. It sure is different then my lap top and getting use to it is going to take some time. Anyway I think I'm doing pretty good with my knee, I know I really over did it yesterday by going to town and I paid the price for it. I spent most of the day today resting, elevating and icing my leg.I did use the CPM Machine twice today and worked my way up to 120 on it but my leg is still very stiff but not as sore as it was last night. Tomorrow starts my real first day of out patient therapy so I bet it will start loosing up or it will get stiff and sore. I have no worries as I know I'm going to heal and get the ROM that I'm looking for. My goal is 120-125 ROM and of last Friday I did get 92. So I think I will get it, now I'm only just 3 weeks out so there is plenty of time even though I would like to have it by the 13th of August when I go and see my OS for my 6 week check up. I did ajust my pain meds, as I was taking them every 3 hours but I changed it to every 4 hours.
 
Randall, please, I am begging you - please don't set goals. :beg: By all means have hopes and aspirations but not goals. Recovery is not something you do, it's something that happens to you. You are just along for the ride - knee is in charge, knee is the boss!



btw, love your signature - I drove a car for about 16 years with a rear window sticker with the first part of that verses. Every time I looked in the rear-view mirror, there is was before me "trust not on your own understanding". Perfect!

And ... it applies to knee recovery too - had you thought of that? :ok:
 
Sounds like you are doing fine!
Keep icing because a swollen knee is one that doesn't bend well! :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom