Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I Made It!

Oh (((Kneedknees))), don't ever say you're sorry for how you are feeling or letting people see the negative side. From everything I've read here you are perfectly normal. You should be able to come here and allow us to support you and let you know it is all right. After all, we've either been through it or are about to go through the same journey. No one ever said it was going to be easy, and being here for each other is one of the great things about this site.

Have you thought about talking to your principal about taking a little more time before going back full time? Believe it or not your classes will be fine until you return. I'm a retired teacher and know how you feel but right now the most important thing is that you take care of yourself.

You know, sometimes a good cry will help you to feel better instead of trying to hold it inside.
 
Re: I Made It!

As I've been posting, I've started taking Tylenol (along with continuing Celebrex) rather than Vicodin, mainly because of the need to be able to drive. Unfortunately, I don't feel that it is doing anything for the pain. :cry: Mainly, I'm feeling stiffness and swelling inside the knees, but we've heard Jo and Jamie say many times that stiffness and swelling are pain. The lack of Vicodin seems to be causing the pain to return, and increase, especially during PT. Even though at my last session on Tuesday, I was able to increase my flexion to 115 (LK) and 110 (RK), it was passive, and very painful. I am only scheduled for 1 more week of PT, and my OS's orders were 120 for both knees. I can't even imagine what today's session will be like, trying to get those numbers! :confused:

My PT has been very gentle and understanding about the stiffness and pain, and hasn't pushed me to do things that have been painful - until Tuesday! I think she sees the "deadline" of PT ending next week, and knows that she needs me to reach those numbers before she releases me.

TAKE tramadol with the tylenol... I take ONE tramadol and ONE 500mg tylenol EVERY four hours, along with 1 celebrex am and 1 celebrex pm, and was able to get off NORCO, and it's fine... you might need 2 tramadol and 1 tylenol every 4 hours at the beginning, talk to your OS about that.. TRAMADOL....
Anyway, sounds like you are coming along ok, being blue is ok, we are not always happy and upbeat, that is why we are here.

I had a milestone today, I made the pedals of the stationary bike to ROUND!! YEAH!!!.. tried on Tuesday, couldn't do it, now it's Thursday and I had a good day at PT.
 
Re: I Made It!

Or better yet, one Tramadol and two Tylenol! A much better mix. Tylenol is a much underestimated pain med.
In the UK it's used much more than any other medication.
 
Re: I Made It!

Unfortunately, I tried Tramadol prior to the surgery for the bone-on-bone pain, and couldn't tolerate it. I felt "off" - a common reaction I have to many meds. I know sometimes there's a trade-off when trying to find the right meds. You weigh whether one will help enough to offset how it makes you feel, and I couldn't justify taking Tramadol for the benefits because I felt so awful while I was taking it.


Thank you ALL for your encouraging words! As I read your comments, I feel a little silly, and yet it was just a bad day. And as for PT, today I was just out and out crying because it hurt so much. :cry:My PT is very compassionate, and yet she says that it's important to keep the knees bending further so they don't lose the ROM that we've already accomplished. She always has me do the active measurement, and then tries to get a little more by "helping" me. Today, I was crying out, "no, stop, no more"! because it hurt so much. I understand the need to continue working for increased flexibility, but I can't continue to do what we did today. :tantrum2:


On another note, I'm going to try to find a stationary bike to borrow. I was able to go around today, but I know I'm sliding my foot down on the pedal so it's more my heel that's pushing the pedal around. At least that's a more gentle type of exercise that I think I could work on more easily myself. Great job grabbit97 on your bike work today! :egypt-dance:


I have really thought a lot about talking to my principal about waiting to come back, but when we last talked, his concern is that since we started school 2 1/2 weeks ago, 4 students have dropped my class, and his concern is that it's because I'm not there. Being the choir director is different than being a classroom teacher - and I don't say that in any way to discount what the classroom teachers do. But the choir director sets the tone and "leads" the group musically and spiritually, and can make or break the choir. I'm good at what I do! The person I chose to sub for me is a former student who went to college for music education and had to leave because her mother passed away. She has the talent and skill, but just isn't really connecting with the kids. Our concern (the principal's and mine) is that more students will consider dropping the class, and that I need to get in there and pull things back together. Another week or two could mean the loss of more students, and could mean a hit on my program in the future, as well as a "lost" year as far as my goals for musical learning and performances. I really feel I have to be there.


Binkie, MsHeidi and Jazyb - I'm working on having a better day tomorrow! I think a good cry could go a long way :cry4:, but I'm already in a better frame of mind.


Again, thank you so much for the encouraging words - I really needed them today! :umm:
 
Re: I Made It!

My PT is very compassionate, and yet she says that it's important to keep the knees bending further so they don't lose the ROM that we've already accomplished. She always has me do the active measurement, and then tries to get a little more by "helping" me. Today, I was crying out, "no, stop, no more"! because it hurt so much. I understand the need to continue working for increased flexibility, but I can't continue to do what we did today.
Well her compassion doesn't seem to be shining through to me. Doing what she is doing is not the way to retain what you've gained. it will only cause more swelling which will be counter-productive. You are only 4 weeks out yet and still have a lot of swelling. The priority right now is to manage the swelling and let the ROM reveal itself. It's there but the swelling is blocking it, just like you have a plaster cast on your leg. All she is doing is making the swelling worse so if you do lose any gains, it's because of what she is doing. You don't need her to push, you just need to do what you can do without pain. You should only ever push to the point of discomfort, never pain. And note the YOU. Not HER.

I strongly suggest you do one of two things:
1. either get her to quit this kind of "therapy" or get a new therapist who will be less aggressive
2. quit the PT altogether, get the bike and do it yourself. Lots of people do - us in the UK, for instance. And we get pretty good results with it too. Your outcomes do not depend upon over-enthusiastic PTs.

Have you been told that you need to get a certain ROM by week six and if you don't your knees will set like concrete and never move again? If so, this is total rubbish. Read this Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

And while I'm in the copy/paste mode, here are some more things you need to read.
If you've had them before, apologies but you need to read them again
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!

Some suggestions for home physio (PT)
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM


The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

 
Re: I Made It!

Hi Jo ~

Thank you! I needed to hear that I was right and shouldn't be in pain at PT! :cry:


I wasn't told that my knees would be set in concrete at whatever ROM they were at by 6 weeks - I only know that the OS order to the PT was that they "should" be at 120 by the time I'm released from PT. The PT said she was going to schedule me further out - additional after the 6 week time, because she knows I won't be at that point by next week. I'm not sure I want to continue though.


I found out that my parents still have a stationary bike, so I'm going to pick it up today. :biggrin: That's the only part of PT that I'm "good" at right now, and I've read so many places on here that it's a good way to work on ROM. So...maybe that would be my best plan for the post-6 week PT! On my own...with my stationary bike!


I will do the suggested reading. I know I've read some of them before, but obviously I need a refresher! :wink1:


I really think my "big bag of emotions" vent yesterday is related to my upcoming birthday which seems to be affecting me mentally (and physically) more than I'd like to admit. Plus, the being home alone all day - missing my students - missing my son off at college - worrying about my parents and sister - wishing things could progress faster. I've really let everything "get to me" way too much! I'm going back to reading positive posts and being an encourager!!! :thumb:

Thanks again, Jo!
 
Re: I Made It!

What - you're 54? You should be so lucky! I turn 70 in a little over a week's time! RATS!
I keep telling myself that 70 is the new 60 but it doesn't wash! :snork:
 
Re: I Made It!

KneedKnees--you are so early in the process that of course you're in pain and tired. Good grief, I'm way out there and have been so wiped out that I've gone to bed super early every night since I've been back at work. (The fibro may be contributing to that).

Maybe talk to your OS or GP for suggestions for some kind of pain medication combo that will work and allow you to drive.

Does where you get PT have several people? I stuck with the same person through mine, but I could have set up an appointment with someone else if I had wanted to. actually the gal I saw one time at the end as a substitute was quite good.

Oh, and on the bike--it's ok to start gradually. Just try to challenge yourself a bit every couple of days. (At least that's what I did). :o
:friends:
 
Re: I Made It!

Jo ~ I know that 54 is relatively young in the grand scheme of life. I think it's just all of the other issues that I'm facing now, combined with the BTKR recovery AND the birthday that have just hit me all at once. I'm getting better though! Early Happy Birthday to you, Jo! :loveshower:


Kneeper ~ At my PT clinic, there are only one or two therapists in the office at once, and my new "after school" appointment time is later in the afternoon, and my current PT is the only one there. So... I've decided to tell her on Tuesday that I don't want to "push" anymore to the point of pain. If she can't respect that approach, I will discontinue therapy, and just work on the bike at home - gradually! I certainly have the resources and know the exercises that we did at PT, and can do them on my own, without pushing myself to the point of crying.


I'm sure the Fibro is contributing to the pain and stiffness in my knees as well. I've had knee problems for so long that I can't remember what "just" having the Fibro feels like! It's such a different kind of pain/discomfort than the bone-on-bone knee pain, that I am confused as to whether it is from the surgery, from Fibro, or a combination of the two. :confused:

I'm working on patience today...had it, lost it, looking for it, hope to find it and utilize it soon! :tongue:
 
Re: I Made It!

KneedKnees.....try to look at things logically. For your own personal reasons, you are pushing yourself to return to work too soon. It's not that you can't do it, but if you make that choice then you must be prepared to adjust other aspects of your recovery to accommodate the results of that push (tiredness, pain, swelliing).

I understand how you feel about your job and only you can decide if you really MUST be there right now or if you could wait it out a few more weeks. Just do be honest with yourself about it.

And if you must be there, then you probably DO need to stop therapy completely. You get more than enough of a workout just getting ready for work, getting there, doing your job and getting back home. You must try to find ways to rest, ice and elevate in those times when you're not working. Let your work be your "therapy." It really is, you know!

You are not going to lose ROM. It's there. But it's going to be in hiding as long as you have that swelling. Pick up the bicycle and used it when or if you feel it's not causing more pain and swelling.

Practice forgiving yourself for needing to make these accommodations right now. It's not permanent....just temporary while you are healing. You just had TWO knees replaced and you must look out for yoursef. You cannot make your body heal any faster just because you want to be back to normal. But.....if you make wise choices about what you do with the energy you do have, at least you can make this part of recovery easier on yourself.
 
Re: I Made It!

Jo, 70 is the new "50" !

Ms. Kneedknees, you are doing excellent! ROM/Flexion does continue as the Bonesmart Articles state. Don't let anyone, including your OS & PT tell you other wise. When I stopped pt & the swelling subsided, I was shocked at my ROM. Get on that bike or walk. Simple exercises do work better than the Torment of harsh, aggressive PT.
Been there, done that because I felt pressured to return to work & to Strive for the greatest ROM/Flexion in the shortest length of time. Big Mistake :sigh: Yes, it truly was an emotional rollercoaster, but the ride is smooth now. :yes 4:

Hang in there!
Darlene
 
Re: I Made It!

Hi Kneedknees, You have had some good advice from people in the know. I think you BTKR people are quite amazing with what you have to go through; respect!! It is such a shame you can't take a few more weeks off work to recover from this major op. You have a lot going on in your life and I think emotionally it's hitting you hard (that's how I read it). This is a time you have to be a little bit selfish and look after number 1. This way you will recover quicker and be able to get back on board with your family and work. It's only a few months out of your life.

I have warned my family that I am going to be focused on myself for a number of weeks and everyone else will have to chip in and do their bit. I have a frail and elderly Mother that has the early stages of alzheimers and requires a lot of my attention. I have warned my brother he will be expected to help out with her and my husband has promised me she will be looked after and that I am not to worry about her welfare. It is hard to let go of duties but in the long term it is for the best - I know that my recovery will be 8-10 weeks and then, fingers crossed, I shall be back helping out with family duties. (My husband has said he is expecting a BIG payback time!!) :skeptical:

I hope you are taking it easy this weekend and feeling a little better about the situation :doggieshmooze: Take care.
 
Re: I Made It!

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the thought and concern voiced in your posts.

Jamie, I really do feel I must return to teaching (half days) tomorrow. So, I think I'm going to take your advice and stop PT. The walking and standing at work, combined with gentle exercise on the stationary bike will probably be more than enough. And my ROM isn't bad! :yay:

I also decided to start taking the Vicodin again to see if it would help with the returning pain, the stiffness and swelling, which in turn would help me in regaining ROM. I started taking them Friday night, and I've gotten two good nights of sleep! Plus, I do think there is less pain. And I've been "monitering" my reaction to the med, and feel that I will be able to drive anyway.

Jazyb ~ You definitely read it right! Everything seems to be hitting me hard right now, between the surgery, school, my parents' and sister's situation, driving, and pain! It's been overwhelming! :rolleyespink: And while I have a network of people that are trying to help, it's still ME that is going through it. So, I'm going to do as much for ME as I can - resting, icing, elevating, (not going to PT!!!), and enjoying the things I can do. Thanks for picking up on that and pointing it out!

Jamie ~ It's hard to forgive myself, when there's so much to do! But I do understand what you mean. I shouldn't be upset with myself for needing to be back at school. I just need to understand that I'll have to give in somewhere else, and make concessions so that I have enough energy to do the things I need to. (Does that make sense???!!!) :what:

Again, thank you for the constant encouragement! It is truly appreciated! :thumb:
 
Re: I Made It!

Knead Knees, good luck on your return to school. I have returned to school part time (every other day for the next 2 weeks). I take several large ice packs and use them during any break I can and elevate it. I also told my principal I would not be taking on any before or afterschool activities or meetings...I go home as soon as I can. I think teachers have a super duper case of guilts when we aren't at school. I know it has been hard on me to not be at school 2 days a week, but in the end, I know I will heal better not going back full time until 9 weeks. Let us know how it goes.
 
Re: I Made It!

Kneedknees--good luck at school. Glad to hear you're getting some sleep. That's important for healing (as well as your mood etc. :) )
 
Re: I Made It!

My return to school has been pretty successful! Though I'm exhausted when I get home, and take a nap each day, it feels good to be back, and I don't think I'm doing too much. Next week, when I return full time will be interesting, but I think this was a good way to work up to it!

Taking the Vicodin again has really helped a lot. I wasn't ready to stop taking it, and feel as if it really does help with PT and just general activity. And, I'm sleeping much better - what a blessing!

I think that the 5-6 week post-op time might be one of the "emotional" times following surgery. That was a really rough patch for me! However, I feel much better now, and through the "emotional storm" think that I came to grips with some important things, most importantly that I have nothing to feel guilty for! This is what it is, and I'm doing the best I can (which is pretty good!), and what I have to do to be who I am right now! So, let's get on with it! :ok:

Much better state of mind! Ready to tackle the PT - it's going much better now that I told her what I wanted and didn't want! She will work with me instead of against me!

In the past two weeks I was having a tough time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's because I wasn't looking very hard. Now, it's there - I can see it - and I'm bound and determined to reach for it! :thumb:
 
Re: I Made It!

Awesome report, KneedKnees. As long as you keep listening to what your body is telling you, you're going to get along just fine.
 
Re: I Made It!

Glad it's working out, Kneed!
 
Re: I Made It!

That is great news, indeed! I am glad to hear that you are moving forward and school is going well for you!

Now to grade essays on Animal Farm or Beowulf...
 
Re: I Made It!

Glad things are looking up for you. Each week things seem to progress a little. If P.T. is causing you to keep from healing, do take a break. I told my P.T. that I was taking a break to give my body time to heal and it has made the difference. Don't overdo it, especially since you have returned to work. I also take a Vicodin every night and it has helped so much with night pain and a great side effect is sleep. One day at a time and trust your body signals.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom