Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I Made It!

I had my 6 week post-op visit with my OS today. He was duly impressed that I was walking so well (without cane or walker) and that my ROM was as good as it is (Left - 118, R - 108). :wow2: My two biggest pieces of news are that I can stop taking Coumadin (!!!), and I can start taking my Extra-Strength Tylenol again! I'm so excited - for a couple of reasons; first, since I won't be on Coumadin, I can schedule a therapeutic massage! It's been over 2 months since my last one, and I do miss them! And second, I can have some control over my headaches again. (Sometimes the Vicodin helps, sometimes it doesn't.) So, starting on Monday, I'm taking one more step (lol...) toward that "normal" that I've been looking for!

Sleep has become my best friend! :sleepz: After just 3-4 hours at school, I am so ready for an afternoon nap, especially if I have something in the evening (tonight I have "Meet the Teacher" night at school). I value the time with my feet elevated, ice packs on, sleeping - albeit with very cold feet! Plus, since I'm taking Vicodin at night, I'm sleeping through the night. Hurray!

Therapy is going better! We're "gently" working on expanding my ROM without pain.

My father is now in the hospital with problems with his kidney function. Any pray-ers out there - I would welcome prayers for God's will to be done! :prayer1: So far, some improvement since he was admitted last night.

Taking everything into consideration, this week has been much better than last. My attitude has done a 180, and I'm feeling much more positive and hopeful. The mood changes are definitely part of the recovery process, and I'm glad to be on the "positive" side of things now!:yes 4:
 
Re: I Made It!

So happy to hear your good report. My prayers are with you and your family....so sorry to hear about your father.
 
Re: I Made It!

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I will keep you and your family in my prayers
 
Re: I Made It!

So happy for you, KneedKnees! The 6th week was a turning point for me, too! Glad you are going off the Coumadin and that you had such a great check-up! Praying for you father and that you have continued progress. Hope Meet the Teacher night went well, too! Now schedule that massage:yahoo:
 
Re: I Made It!

great report, Kneed.:yay: yeah, napping is your friend.
 
Re: I Made It!

Thank you all for your positive comments and for your prayers. :wubroses: My father is doing better, although he doesn't want to eat or drink much, and they think that's what caused his kidneys to start to fail in the first place - not eating well and dehydration. It's almost as if he's lost the will to go on. However...his kidney function has improved and he may be going home in the next two days - so that is good news!

I woke up this morning feeling very stiff, with a little more pain. I imagine that this is one of the repercussions of doing more than I'm used to! (ruppbike!) :blush: I wasn't able to rest this afternoon, as I went to the hospital to give my Mom a little boost as she deals with my Dad, and to see him. I did put my feet up while there, but didn't think to ask the nurses for ice - duh! :DOH:

Then to PT - it didn't take as long to get both knees to go around on the bike, but my ROM didn't improve. I realize that each degree of ROM is going to take time, so I'm not too upset about it. I owned the rest of the exercises though - balancing on one foot at a time, backward leg lifts, single toe lifts! :yes 4:

Going out to dinner as I haven't been to the grocery store, and the only "meal" I had some of the supplies for was Chicken Divan - and I forgot to buy broccoli! (Major ingredient!) Darn...I guess we'll have to eat out!!! :wink2:

Then home to bed - 5:00 AM comes mighty early, and this girl needs her sleep!!! :sleepz:
 
Re: I Made It!

Well...after some uncomfortable but not painful stretching yesterday at PT, I'm pretty sore today! So...I'm icing and elevating and resting! I took my ice packs with me to school and then to the hospital when visiting my father. I sat in the hospital room with my feet up and my knees wrapped in ice! Gotta plan ahead... :wink1:

I can't wait until Monday, when I can begin taking my Extra-Strength Excedrin for headaches. I have been dealing with headaches almost every day of my life since I can remember. Taking two Excedrin takes care of them. And...it will have the added benefit of taking the place of an aspirin a day (as prescribed by my OS) to keep blood clots from forming since I'll be off of the Coumadin. Three more days... :yahoo:

Very tired...I didn't sleep much at all last night - maybe two hours, maximum. Wow...what a difference that makes trying to teach. I was wiped out when I was done for the day. I hope tonight brings better sleep. :sleepz:

Dad's home from the hospital - he needs to drink 64 oz. of water every day - that will be a challenge for my Mom, because he doesn't want to eat or drink, and he doesn't listen when she tells him to! Please continue to pray for this situation....thanks! :ThankYou:
 
Re: I Made It!

Good to hear your dad is home. I will say a prayer that he continues to improve, and for your mom too for I know how difficult it is for the caretaker as well.

Hope you get lots of rest tonight.
 
Re: I Made It!

KneedKnees I still take ice packs to school. Sometimes I keep them on while driving there since it takes me about 30 min to get there. It really does help. I love the feeling now that has finally come with being able to move around the classroom. Stairs and going down steep ramps are still a big effort for me. Overall I am so glad to have gone through all of this, but know it is still a journey I am in and I must be wise at times and try not to overdo it. Take care. Hope your dad gets better soon.:thumb:
 
Re: I Made It!

You sound as if you are doing so well with your new knees - fantastic :thumb: I'm sending positive thoughts to your Dad, I really hope he picks up. As Gwen has said it's tough on your Mum, give her an extra hug today from me. It's so hard to see our parents suffering and also to see our roles change into the carer role. Have a good weekend xx
 
Re: I Made It!

It is difficult to see our parents going through issues related to aging. (Maybe because it forces us to see ourselves getting older as well!) :wink1: We are in the process of looking for assisted living options for them, which will make me feel better knowing that they are in a safe place. Thanks for your prayers and concern for both of my parents!

I've begun to take my ice packs with me lots of additional places as well, Old Goat. The drive to and from school is a great idea - mine is also about 30 minutes. On the way to school would prep me for my day, and on the way home would soothe after the long day! Excellent idea! :thumb: I've begun to appreciate icing more and more as time goes on, so plan on making use of the freezer in the teacher's lunchroom! I was at my daughter's Volleyball Tournament today, sitting in the bleachers for 7 hours, and iced my knees about 2 1/2 hours. I don't have nearly as much pain as I did at the last tournament! Yeah, icing! :ok:

Off to do some "homework" - planning and prep for classes! :umm:
 
Re: I Made It!

What kind of icing packs do you use on the go? I ave the polar pack machine at home, but havent really thought about ice to go. I have a couple of the blue rubber (headache style) bags that I fill with ice for trips, but I'm wondering if you have a better solution.
 
Re: I Made It!

MsHeidi ~

The only ice packs I have are the ones they used in the hospital and sent me home with. They are black with two pouches that hold ice packs that can be frozen. They slide in, and there are velcro patches to hold them in. There are two strips of elastic bandage on the side with velcro on the ends of them. The ice part can be bent/curved to fit around the knee, and then the elastic bandage part with the velcro straps around the entire knee/leg and holds the ice pack into place. The hospital sent me home with two sets of these holders, and three sets of the ice pack inserts. (I believe they can also be heated in the microwave and used as warm packs, but I've never used them for that.) These are nice because they allow me to move my legs in bed at night, and have them on in the car. (I can't walk with them because they do slide down off my calves.)


I don't know where you could find these, since they were supplied by the hospital.
 
Re: I Made It!

This is amazing. You seem to be healing up really fast. I suggest that you try to relax and calm yourself. It would help you ease of any pain you are going through.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom