Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I Made It!

That's an easy drive! Lol...

Well everyone... I'm back at work full-time... and exhausted! :sleep:

In explanation, it is a good kind of exhaustion, if there is such a thing! I don't feel overwhelmed by being back at school, by my classes, my students, or my workload. It's just that the physical activity of being there for 8 hours and the energy that I always put into my teaching is far greater than resting, icing and elevating!!! :th_heehee:

I am able to ice my knees during the day - during a study hall that I moderate. I still have to try to figure out how to put my knees up - just resting them on the chair isn't comfortable. Any ideas? :feedback:

I figured out that the seat on the stationary bike that I have at home is lower than the one at PT. Therefore, when I try to get my feet around at home, I'm unable to. That has been a roadblock to me! :what: If I couldn't get the pedals around, then I couldn't do the rest of the exercises! I just had told myself that I couldn't do it. It felt that my knees were getting tighter and I wasn't able to bend them anywhere near as much as a couple of weeks ago. So, it was with trepidation that I went to PT today!

My therapist was great! She did some soft tissue massage and manipulation which helped a lot. I was able to get flexion of 112 (active) in my right knee, and 118 in my left knee. Though these numbers are either the same or just slightly higher than 2 weeks ago, I'm just happy that they're not worse! Apparently, I have to do some of my own soft tissue massage at home! I'll also be raising the seat on the bike so I will be able to use it as both a gentle warm-up now, and an aerobic exercise as my knees loosen up. Once I'm warmed-up, I just have to do the exercises! I'm prepared and ready to go now! :wink1:

Gotta admit, I'm ready for Friday, and it's only Tuesday night, but it is a good week so far! :ok:
 
Re: I Made It!

You might try bringing some pillows to put on the chair to prop up your leg.....maybe use a couple of chairs withough arms in a row side to side so that it's more like a flat surface.
 
Re: I Made It!

I just thought of this! :th_heehee: I have a little hunting fold up canvas stool I use for my knee. It is one I got at a sports store that is used for hunting or camping. It works perfectly for my ice and I can take it anywhere I go too. Just a thought. How could I forget I use this? Guess it has been with me so long I just don't think!
 
Re: I Made It!

Good ideas Jamie and Old Goat! I think the pillows on the sideways chairs would be good. Something to keep the knees from extending "too" far!

The stiffness is better today, especially since I spent the first hour of the school day standing, cutting mat board. I can't sit to do this because of the odd angle I have to use the Exacto knife. I need the full pressure of standing to make the cuts.

I got the seat on the stationary bike raised now, and it makes such a difference in my attitude that I'm able to "ride" the bike! I feel that "not" being able to get all of the way around with the pedals was keeping me from doing other exercises. I felt that if I couldn't do that, I wouldn't be able to do anything else. Now that I can peddle the bike, I'm much better at the exercises and can make some progress! :ok:

I'm still very tired! I would like to go to sleep earlier at night, but feel that I'm going to wake up, so I should wait and go to bed later so I can sleep through the night. I really need to work on getting to bed earlier though - waking up and feeling as if you haven't slept isn't good! :sleepz:

Friday - come on now!:yahoo:


 
Re: I Made It!

Glad you got the bike sorted. Only 2 days left now and you can put your feet up :biggrin:
 
Re: I Made It!

Sounds like you're doing fine, Kneedknees. Doesn't it feel great to have those signs of progress? And I hear you about bedtime. I'm pretty zonked when I get home, but seem to get a 2nd wind--at least until about 9:30. :biggrin: Last week, no second wind.:sleep:
 
Re: I Made It!

I think it takes a long time to get stamina back, KneedKnees. I might look good walking, but I'm only able to stand or walk for a few minutes until I'm agonizingly achy. I cannot even remotely imagine standing for 30 minutes straight, let alone an hour. And THAT, by the way, does seem like the kind of work that you could certainly have somebody do for you. Cut your knees slack wherever you can since you dragged them back to work so soon. I'm sure there are things that absolutely require the director, but maybe the cutting mat, and hence standing for an hour, might not be one of those things. I'm just thinking out loud. Feel free to ignore me. :)
 
Re: I Made It!

Even though I've read the article before, Jo, I read it again! What struck me the most was the phrase, "Our surgeons consider that patients have 'recovered' when their current status has improved much beyond their arthritic pre-op pain level and dysfunction." I know that I'm not recovered! What struck me though, was a conversation with my OS prior to the surgery. He said that at about 6 weeks, you will probably feel "about as good as you felt prior to the surgery", and that you then go on improving from there. I started to think back to how I felt in June and July, and how my physical activity was. I was certainly doing no more than I am now, and had a lot more pain to deal with at that time! I think I'm better off now that I was before I had the surgery! Yahoo! :yahoo:

And what a prognosis - I will continue to feel better each day, until I feel normal again! I'm not sure I even remember what that feels like, but imagine I'll know when I get there! :yay:

I'm not looking for sympathy when I tell you I'm tired - just reporting on my day, and discovering another "limit" that will help me know how much I can and can't do currently! It's a process, and I'm just taking the steps toward full recovery.

I still have times of frustration with others who don't understand that just because I look good, I'm not completely healed! I still can't do everything I want to do, or everything that others think I can do! :rolleyes:

All in all - things are going well, and I'm feeling very positive (even if it is a tired positive!). :thumb:
 
Re: I Made It!

Yeah, I think I need to read that article every day. :o
 
Re: I Made It!

We know you're not looking for sympathy, honey. We're all happy you trust us enough to share with us. We don't judge - ever.
 
Re: I Made It!

Judging is not done here like Jo said. I am so thankful for all the info and support I have received here. I have the degrees and bend, etc. but not the strength. I will just work on it as I can. I know the PT wants me after PT, to cycle 20 minutes each day. I found out if I do this I am NO GOOD the next day. So finally I woke up to the thought that doing it at 10 min. a day is better than nothing. Readjusting expectations has been the rule all along. Keep positive bone smarties. You will get there.
 
Re: I Made It!

Well, it's been awhile since I've been here - as in not being able to find the time to spend getting my fix of encouragement, and doling out a bit of advice! :wink1:


PT is still going pretty much the same - no great strides, but not going backwards. I'm confident that things will improve, but it's just not happening as quickly as I'd like it to. I always seem to need a day or two to recuperate from a PT session, and then barely have time to do the exercises again before my next PT session! :confused:


This past Friday night, my father had a mild heart attack, which just adds more turmoil into our already mixed up family! My mother has been at the hospital with my dad since Friday night, and now that I'm back at school full-time, I can't get there to help her pass the time and listen to the nurses and doctors to find out what's going on. I know it's wearing on her, as well as on me, my husband and our children. My father had part one of a stress test today and will undergo the second part tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have some answers soon. :frown:


My father-in-law is also in the ICU at a hospital about 1 1/2 hours away. He has a lung infection and they're trying to figure that out and treat it. We stopped there this weekend on our way home from our niece's birthday celebration.


Wow, it's hard to deal with stressful family situations when you're also trying to heal from surgery and carry on your own life! It seems that every muscle in my body is stiff and sore, including the knees, calves and thighs. There's just way to much to think about when you throw housework, laundry, PT, cooking and cleaning into the mix, along with my daughter's volleyball games and tournaments, and church choir rehearsals (I'm the director so I have to be there), and activities at the school where I teach. It's absolutely overwhelming right now! :rolleyes:


I have PT tomorrow, and I'm worried that my flexion hasn't made any progress. I'm just so tired, that my "spare" time is used to rest rather than exercise. I'm trying very hard to trust that God has my back on all of this, but overwhelming is not something I do too well. Any prayers for peaceful resolution of all of the family matters would be greatly appreciated. :prayer1:


The knees are really feeling pretty good when walking and standing. They get a little stiff sitting too long, or standing too long, but pain - NOT THERE! So, yay! :yahoo:


And the best news in the past few days...I have a therapeutic massage scheduled for Wednesday, which is a great thing, since I can hardly turn my neck because it's so tight. Yahoo! :wow2:
 
Re: I Made It!

You do seem to have too much on your plate, Kneed! I wish I could help in some way, but I know there is really no way for me to carry your load. I just wish you peace and strength. I hope your parents all come out of this okay, as well.

You might not need PT with all the rest of what you have going o! It sounds like plenty of activity.

Best wishes, KneedKnees.
 
Re: I Made It!

I agree with Heidi.....the PT sounds like an unnecessary addition to your already-heavy activity load. Also.....I'd watch how much of those household chores you're doing. Remember that you ARE still healing!!!
 
Re: I Made It!

Hi KK, You sure have got a lot going on with the family; I'm sending you a big hug and positive thoughts for your Dad and Dad-in-law.

I don't know how you are managing to fit it all in. I think maybe the advice about skipping pt is a good shout. Think about skipping it for 1 week and do extra excercises at home - just a thought.

You sound as if you are doing great with the knees. I can remember reading your posts pre-op (summer time) and just think where you are now with your knees. I am so envious that you are all done and now you are getting on with your life. Here I am still waiting for my surgery date to arrive :sigh:. You have come such a long way in a short space of time - so well done to you :yes 4:

Again, hope all is well with the family :prayer1:
 
Re: I Made It!

Thank you MsHeidi, Jamie and Jazyb ~

I really appreciate your concern for all that's going on right now. I'm at the hospital now with my parents, trying to help them decide whether my Dad should have a catheterization because of blockage, or just use medicine to control the pain, and risk continued damage to his heart. He had a mild heart attack on Friday night, and another today while I was here. It's scary...


I cancelled PT today so I could stay here with Mom and Dad. Both are struggling with decisions, and the cardiologist came in just as I was about to leave. I guess now I just have to wait and see what the decision will be, and then decide what to do about going in to school tomorrow...

All of a sudden my knees don't seem so important! Funny how life has a way of changing your perspective so quickly.

Thank you for all of the prayers and positive thoughts - keep them coming!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom