Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
God Bless you and keep all of you in comfort and peace. So sorry to hear about your dad. Hang in there through these ups and downs, and be sure to get rest. Hugs. Ann
 
Well...hello again!

It's been quite a long time since I've been here. Just looking at the list of threads in the forum, I still see many of you who were there for me when I started my journey preparing for surgery, about a year ago. You were there for me when I had my BTKR in early August and for the recovery following. You were there for me when my father had quadruple bypass surgery in late-September and when he eventually passed away in January of this year. It's great to be back among friends. I hope that I can continue to come here, though it may not be quite as frequently now.

During the time since I was last here (my father passed on January 17th), I have been extremely busy, between caring for my mother and helping her adjust to being alone, and maintaining my position at work.

Mom is doing quite well. She is sad that she is doing so well! I think that since my father had been in the hospital or rehab center since the end of September, Mom had gotten used to being alone. Even though she misses him, she has gotten used to being on her own. She still has someone coming in to help her a couple of times a week. This is really great, because it takes some of the burden off of me!

I have also been gone for 8 days, at the end of March. I took my high school choir "on tour" to Florida and then on a 4 night cruise to The Bahamas. We had 7 performances during the tour, did a service project, and had some fun! I really enjoyed the sun and warm weather. Getting to the point of taking them on tour was quite a chore, especially after the fall and winter that I had! But...like most things that are hard work, it was well worth it. Our concerts were amazing, the cruise was really enjoyable, and the kids had a great time!

Now, I'm in the final 6 weeks of school and enjoying winding down! I still have several performances remaining and a couple of special events coming up to keep me busy, but the end is in sight!

I'm going to make an appointment with my ortho, as I still don't feel that I have the ROM that I should/could. I haven't had it measured since I completed my PT in September, but I don't feel that it has gotten any better since then. I still can't easily stand up from a seated position, without using my hands/arms. I can't sit Indian style - which I really liked to do and hope I can again. I have a little trouble with steps on certain days (colder days aren't great). I just feel that I would like to be better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining, because I'm soooo much better than I was before the surgery! I was able to walk around Nassau and the places we went in Florida without any problems. That wouldn't have been possible a year ago. But...I just feel as if I'd like to be a little more comfortable.

What do you think?
 
It sounds to me like you are back in the saddle ,...riding hard and still mending. Rejoice!

I had BTNR in Feb. and am glad to read your report about how active you are...it gives me hope. Thank you
 
Kneed -

Uncomfortable.....is it stiffness? Were you more limber prior to the BTKR? I'm full of questions as I am 7 weeks into recovery and we happen to be the same age. I feel like my recovery is going fairly slow but I've learned that no two are alike. Other members have reminded me not to compare and to move at my own pace. I've found that in the past few days just walking is helping make a difference in the way I physically feel and how my knees respond. Still very stiff with general overall achiness but no substantial pain. I'm weaning off of pain meds now. I'd really like to know more specifically how you (and your knees) are feeling. Thank you!
 
It sounds like you have been busy. It sounds like you have been doing well. I know that colder and wet weather is harder on me. Today it is rainy and cool and that makes things harder. Maybe you were able to do more in Florida because of the climate. Hopefully, you will get an appt and will find out what is going on at that time.
I know losing your dad had to be hard on you and your family. I am glad your mom was able to accept some help.
Take care,
Greda
 
KneedKnees,

Glad to see you back, and doing as well as you are. You seem to have been quite busy these past few months. Also glad to hear your Mom is doing well.

I think you have to kee in mind that your recovery may have been slowed a bit with all you had going on in the beginning. This sure would have put a strain on your progress. It s a good idea to see your OS and hopefully it is just a bit of slow healing and nothing more.

My best to you and keep us posted on what you hear. Have missed your postings while you were gone.
 
Hi KK

Welcome back my friend - I have missed you and I'm so pleased you can find some time to come back and see us. It's good to know your Mum is doing well and learning to cope without your Dad. It's a tough time for all the family and it does take time. My Dad has been gone 9 years and I miss him everyday but the pain of the loss feels different now, not so intense.

You did so well with your recovery so I do hope you can get some answers from your OS as to the issues you are having. Still early days I guess in the recovery?? Some say it can take 2 years for the knees to feel totally normal :rolleyespink: (what is normal?).

Take care and good wishes to you :friends:
 
Hi, KK,

What regime do you have to improve your ROM?

Jazyb,

My Dad died over 30 years ago. I still miss him, but now it doesn't cause the same pain, I'm pleased I still think of him. He was a great guy. The pain does change and nowadays I welcome it, oddly enough.
 
Bev ~ It's not so much that I'm uncomfortable, but more that I'm just done with the pain! I guess that after everything I've gone through in the past 6 months, without having had time to "finish" my recovery before my father became ill, has just made me frustrated with the remaining pain. I have a combination of random shoots of pain in my right knee, stiffness, and some difficulty with stairs. The discomfort is worse when the weather is cold (why do I live in Wisconsin?) and is very random. Greda ~ I definitely appreciated the weather in Florida and The Bahamas! Not anywhere near as much pain!

Rose & Jo ~ I'm sure that part of the reason I'm still feeling this way is that I didn't have time to continue with PT and exercise at home. When my father became ill, I basically dropped all exercising. As you know, I was gone from 6:30 AM until 9:00 PM almost every day. I was physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted. I'm convinced that I'm still suffering the effects of that exhaustion.

Roy ~ As you can tell, I currently have NO regimin to improve my ROM. I am really hoping to change that soon! I'm still busy at school, but things are starting to wind down a bit. I'm hoping that with a visit to my OS, he'll prescribe some more PT, and that can be a jumpstart to my exercise program. I'm going to try to walk a few times a week (I used to walk 2 miles every morning until it became too painful.) and do exercises every day.

I'm sure that my "full" recovery will be extended, but I'm just very impatient to be "done" with the pain. I'm so used to my entire life revolving around my knees and what I can and can't do as a result of them. I would love to get to a point where I could go through a day without having to even think about my knees anymore than any other part of my body! I realize that after the last 6 months, I shouldn't be expecting this to happen so soon, but I'm just so tired of not being "done".

Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled that I can walk without a limp. I'm excited that I was able to walk around Nassau without pain. I'm happy that I can wear pretty shoes again. And, the pain is so much less than it was prior to the surgery. So...I know I can't complain! My husband tells me I have 5 minutes to complain about something, and then I have to stop. This has taken about 5 minutes to write, so I guess it's time to be done!

Thank you everyone for your continued support! :sigh:
 
Hi, KneedKnees....so good to hear from you again and to know that you've had some time to enjoy yourself. Good for you!!!

I'm also happy to hear that your mother has adjusted well. It's always difficult to lose someone dear to you, but she obviously is a strong person who is determined to enjoy herself! I'm definitely seeing where you get YOUR strength!!

I think your approach is a good one in regard to your knees. Have a talk with your surgeon. It's possible that some formal therapy might help you get where you want to be. You will also need a generous dose of time and patience (but YOU knew that!!).

I look forward to hearing more from you!
 
APPOINTMENT W/OS MADE!!!

Next Thursday 4/26 at 3:00 PM

I can't wait to hear what he has to say, and have some PT prescribed. I really just need that jumpstart to get my exercising in gear. I'm planning on going home after school today and walking (as long as the rain holds off). I really want to get these knees back!
 
Great news! You keep us posted on how everything goes. We want you to have those knees back, too.
 
The walk yesterday didn't happen as it was COLD and WINDY! It was 44 degrees when I left school, and I don't know what the velocity of the wind was, but it was way too cold and windy to even think about walking. That's one of the drawbacks to living in a climate that has winter!


I downloaded the Gionometer onto my iPhone, which was discussed here, https://bonesmart.org/forum/app-for-measuring-knee-flexion-t15062.html. I found that my ROM isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it definitely needs improvement! It's not where it was when I was discharged from PT - either knee - so I have my work cut out for me!

I hope the weather is better today, as my daughter plays soccer at 5:00. Sitting on bleachers in 40 degree, windy weather isn't much fun. And for close to 2 hours! Plus...being outside just sitting, for that long, is tough on the knees. I'm very stiff afterwards!

Praying that the sun I'm seeing out of my classroom windows is really warming up the air!!! :rolleyes:
 
Hi KK

I hope your weather is better today as it sure does play a big part in our knee therapy. I am looking forward to the summer weather and sunshine :thumb: We have had a very cold blustery day here in Devon, in fact on my drive home this afternoon the roads were flooded :sigh: The forecast is for an even worse day tomorrow!
 
I'm just spoiled because we had beautiful weather for two weeks mid-March - in the 80's. And then I was with my choir in Florida and the Bahamas, where it was in the 80's. Since I've returned to "real life", it's been relatively cool here - though probably more seasonal weather. I feel that once I've worn capri-length pants, I can't go back to long pants! Silly I know.

The sun didn't warm up the temp this afternoon for the soccer game! It was much better than last week, but still COLD. My feet are still icy, and they lost the game! I feel so much better when I'm warm.
 
Yes, my school is winding down too. I was noticing the other day how great was to be SO MOBILE with the turns and little moves in the classroom. Something I STRUGGLED with at the beginning of this year. I am even volunteering to work in Cub Scout day camp for a week in the heat! Keep with progress, it still comes even long term! Hugs and so glad to hear from you. Ann
 
Ann ~

It feels good to have school winding down...but it also means more work, as the end of the year brings Award programs, the Spring Concert, State Music Festival, and Music Theory exams...in addition to my other classes! Lots to do...but the end is in sight!


It is definitely easier to negotiate the classroom and stairs and office space now. Before the surgery, I was always looking for the next wall to lean on, or the next chair to sit in. Now, I'm moving around much smoother. You're right...the progress is still coming!

God's blessings as you wind down with your school year!
 
You hang in there! Find the right specific exercise for that ROM you are seeking. The electrodes really did help me. I know it is so hard when you have others you have to deal with as the first priority. Now is the time to take the time for yourself. Keep this in mind. Hugs for a good summer coming along the way. Ann :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom