Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I Made It!

I'm seriously considering trying to make the switch from Hydrocodone (Vicodin) to Tylenol. Italked to the nurse today, and she said I could try alternating the Vicodin with 325 mg. of Tylenol, to see if the Tylenol does as well as the Vicodin. If it would work well, I could completely stop the Vicodin and be able to drive again!!!

Time to rest...:sleepz:
Good luck with it--I was antsy to be able to drive too. What held me up was less the pain than the ROM. :(
But pay attention to how you feel and don't try to be a hero.:wink1:
 
Re: I Made It!

Kneeper ~

I'm going to start the Tylenol tomorrow to see how it works for me.


Part of my desire to "get driving" is that since my kids are both back at school, I've been relying on my elderly parents (81 & 82) to drive me places. While I'm confident that they are safe drivers, I am not confident that they always know where they are going! It has been stressful for me, as I've had to wait for them on several occasions because they've "gotten mixed up" or "turned around" or "missed an exit". My mother is usually pretty good following my directions, but has been a little "lost" the past few days, and my father has dementia, and doesn't know where he's going most of the time. The stress of them finding my school today to pick me up after I visited this morning, was horrible. They've been to my school numerous times, but it isn't somewhere that they're very familiar with. I have given them directions numerous times, but they missed the correct exit and then ended up about 20 miles away from the school because they just keep driving. :what: By the time they got there, I was a basket case, and they were worn out. :sigh: So, I want to be able to drive, because I don't want them driving anymore than they have to, and I don't want them in that scenario where they get "lost". (There's lots more to this story, but just briefly, my husband and I have 3 elderly parents, and I have a handicapped sister, that are all contemplating moving to assisted living facilities, and we're looking at closing 3 households and I'm the only other child in my family to deal with all of it. It's been a horrible situation, along with my personal issues!) :frown: (BTW - they can't understand how to use a GPS, so...yah...)


Today I went in to school - many of my high school students have been texting me and asking when I was coming in :loveshower:- for 2 class periods. It was so great seeing the kids and more importantly, finding out how I would fare with being back at school. It went really well, and though I'm tired, I feel as if I held up very well. I discussed returning full time with my principal, and he and I agreed that on 9/12/11, I would return for the morning classes (2), and the following week, 9/19/11 I would return full time. This will give me time to build up my endurance gradually. :yay:


Now...resting, elevating and icing!!! Later tonight, my husband and I are going to pick our son up at college - he's coming home for the Labor Day weekend. It's a 2 hour car trip each way. At least I can sleep in the car... :sleep:
 
Re: I Made It!

Great news with a great schedule---excellent planning---I understand and feel your excitement.

I have some essays to grade this weekend on A Few Good Men. care to help?:snork:
 
Re: I Made It!

Great news with a great schedule---excellent planning---I understand and feel your excitement.

I have some essays to grade this weekend on A Few Good Men. care to help?:snork:

Oh, Tim. I absolutely adore my job teaching developmental writing, except for grading the essays. I wish I could figure out how to be a writing teacher without having to grade papers!
 
Re: I Made It!

Oh, Tim. I absolutely adore my job teaching developmental writing, except for grading the essays. I wish I could figure out how to be a writing teacher without having to grade papers!
Ain't :wink1: it the truth! I don't teach English but my students write a lot of papers. But that's how they learn.

On topic: Kneedknees--sorry about your tricky driving situation. Fingers crossed for you.
 
Re: I Made It!

I'll leave the grading papers for you writing teachers! When I was at school on Friday, I saw the stack of Music Theory homework to grade. :sigh: I was hoping the substitute would take care of that, but it wasn't a "required" part of our agreement!


Yesterday afternoon my husband and I drove to pick our son up at college (2 hour drive). I was extremely uncomfortable in the car, especially on the way home. It was about 9:30 PM when we finally got home, and I'm sure the combination of the time of day, having been to school in the morning, and the car ride added to my fatigue. I also tried the switch from Vicodin to Tylenol, and I'm thinking it wasn't so successful. The nurse from my ortho's office said that I could alternate 325 mg of Tylenol with the Vicodin, as long as I didn't overlap the times they were taken. The bottle of Extra-strength Tylenol says I can take 2 500 mg tablets every 6 hours. So...I don't know whether I can take 2 tablets in place of one of the doses of Vicodin or not.


Does anyone know about that pain med schedule?
1 5/325 Vicodin alternating with 1 or 2 500 mg Tylenol? (Every 6 hours)


Any other suggestions about how to get off Vidocin so I can drive?


I don't want to be a hero and try to get along with the pain meds because I'm so tough. I really feel the need to drive to alleviate the problems described in my post prior to this one - elderly parents being my go-to people for driving me places. :frown:


Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I can't talk to the doctor's office until Tuesday. (Labor Day weekend!)


Thank you ~~~
 
Re: I Made It!

Maybe if you are able to plan ahead a bit, you can take the vicodin when you know you won't have to drive for x number of hours. Time your errands etc so that for example, you can take the vicodin once you get home? and have regular tylenol for the driving hours?
 
Re: I Made It!

Yes, you could take the pills on that schedule, but I think you'll find it's too early (especially given your activity level) to make this switch.
 
Re: I Made It!

I'm giving it a try today...2 Tylenol this morning because I'm driving to PT. Then, if needed, I'll take the Vicodin this afternoon. So far, the pain level is about the same as with the Vicodin, so I'm just praying that this continues!

Thank you for the suggestion, kneeper, it is certainly worth a try. Jamie, it's worth a try, and if my activity level is too much, I'll have to rely on others again, but just can't continue to burden my parents anymore. I'm so concerned about them - they need to be somewhere that is safe for them... :frown:

I already have a headache...so this may be a sign that the change in meds isn't going to work, but still hoping and praying it does. We'll see... :umm:
 
Re: I Made It!

Good luck! Hope the meds schedule works for you. I sure understand your situation with your elderly parents. I took care of my parents and a father with dementia, and although it is a labor of love, it is challenging, particularly on top of everything you are dealing with.
 
Re: I Made It!

It will work itself out. I do understand about your parents. Years ago, I was in your same boat. Just take things one step at a time and it will come together.
 
Re: I Made It!

I'll leave the grading papers for you writing teachers! When I was at school on Friday, I saw the stack of Music Theory homework to grade. :sigh: I was hoping the substitute would take care of that, but it wasn't a "required" part of our agreement!


Yesterday afternoon my husband and I drove to pick our son up at college (2 hour drive). I was extremely uncomfortable in the car, especially on the way home. It was about 9:30 PM when we finally got home, and I'm sure the combination of the time of day, having been to school in the morning, and the car ride added to my fatigue. I also tried the switch from Vicodin to Tylenol, and I'm thinking it wasn't so successful. The nurse from my ortho's office said that I could alternate 325 mg of Tylenol with the Vicodin, as long as I didn't overlap the times they were taken. The bottle of Extra-strength Tylenol says I can take 2 500 mg tablets every 6 hours. So...I don't know whether I can take 2 tablets in place of one of the doses of Vicodin or not.


Does anyone know about that pain med schedule?
1 5/325 Vicodin alternating with 1 or 2 500 mg Tylenol? (Every 6 hours)


Any other suggestions about how to get off Vidocin so I can drive?


I don't want to be a hero and try to get along with the pain meds because I'm so tough. I really feel the need to drive to alleviate the problems described in my post prior to this one - elderly parents being my go-to people for driving me places. :frown:


Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I can't talk to the doctor's office until Tuesday. (Labor Day weekend!)


Thank you ~~~
I got rid of the Norco by using ONE tramadol (ultram which does not have tylenol in it) and 1 tylenol 500mg every 4 hours. It is working for me, along with one celebrex in morning and one in evening.
 
Re: I Made It!

So today I tried the non-Vicodin day! Not too bad! :rolleyes:

I had a "senior" moment today, when I went to therapy at my "usual" time. I forgot that this was the week I had wanted to go back to teaching, and had scheduled PT for after school! So, I had my blood drawn for the INR, and came back later in the afternoon. I'm really glad I drove, because I would have felt terrible if I had asked my parents to drive!

I took 2 Extra-Strength Tylenol this morning, and another 2 before PT in the afternoon. I had a rough session, but think it might be more from doing too much walking yesterday rather than from the meds. I'm going to see how the knees feel tomorrow. (BTW - I also take Celebrex.)

grabbit97 ~ I tried Tramadol, but didn't like how I felt when I took it. I'm pretty sensitive to many drugs, and that's one of them. :sick:

I'm curious what the Celebrex is doing for me. I know it's an anti-inflammarory. Does that mean it helps reduce the knee swelling, or the blood vessels, or ???

I didn't even let my parents know I had PT today, so they wouldn't try to push me to let them take me. This is a tough problem - wish there was a forum for Caring for Aging Parents that could give me some answers! (I have only one sibling, a sister with MS who is completely reliant on others for care, yet lives alone - don't even get me started!) :no2: It's a huge mess, and I've tried talking reason and end up in tears every time. I know it will work out, but right now is not the time for it all to come to a head! :hairpulling:

Thanks for "listening". I appreciate having a place to ask questions and vent!!! :gaah:

 
Re: I Made It!

Congrats on returning to school and driving. I have a manual so haven't had a go at it yet... hopefully this weekend I can practice. I miss my independence so much, so can only imagine what it would be like to have to depend on aging parents. It's great you have a modified schedule so you can build up your stamina. I hope you have great success with the med changes.
 
Re: I Made It!

Kneed....you did GREAT!!!! Here's hoping the Tylenol plus Celebrex continues to work for you. It's always a treat when you can drive again....that "independence" thing.

Feel free to start a thread on the Social Forum if you want to talk about any of your personal situations with your parents and sister. We have LOTS of members who have been in your situation who can offer advice, support and understanding. In the Social Forum, any subjects you like are just fine.
 
Re: I Made It!

When I come to this forum and read all of the great reports, I feel so encouraged. And then I read my own comments in threads, where I've been the encourager, and I feel like a hypocrite! Because I'm on here today feeling very dejected, sad and negative about my progress.

As I've been posting, I've started taking Tylenol (along with continuing Celebrex) rather than Vicodin, mainly because of the need to be able to drive. Unfortunately, I don't feel that it is doing anything for the pain. :cry: Mainly, I'm feeling stiffness and swelling inside the knees, but we've heard Jo and Jamie say many times that stiffness and swelling are pain. The lack of Vicodin seems to be causing the pain to return, and increase, especially during PT. Even though at my last session on Tuesday, I was able to increase my flexion to 115 (LK) and 110 (RK), it was passive, and very painful. I am only scheduled for 1 more week of PT, and my OS's orders were 120 for both knees. I can't even imagine what today's session will be like, trying to get those numbers! :confused:

My PT has been very gentle and understanding about the stiffness and pain, and hasn't pushed me to do things that have been painful - until Tuesday! I think she sees the "deadline" of PT ending next week, and knows that she needs me to reach those numbers before she releases me.

I'm also not following my own advice to others about taking it easy and not pushing too hard. I was at school yesterday morning for two class periods. I drove myself there and home, and I was absolutely exhausted. And then I had to go back to school for an evening meeting. Now, I'm terrified about returning half days next Monday and full days the following Monday. However, my principal is anxious for me to return, and I don't think I can get an extension. (Nor do I want to sit home sulking about it anymore!)

I'm not looking for sympathy - just venting! I really didn't think I'd ever say this, but at this moment, I wish I hadn't had the surgery! I know that's just emotion talking, and that in the end, I'll be glad I did, but right now, I'm so depressed about it. :cry:

So, it's time to go read other threads to find the encouragement I so badly need! I can probably read some of my own comments to others about the light at the end of the tunnel, or the next day being better, or even the "pain-free" future, and find some hope.

 
Re: I Made It!

Oh, boo, KneedKnees! You are probably just dealing with unrealistic expectations on how quickly all this was going to be resolved. After all my readings, I was pretty surprised at how quickly you were going back to work. I really think anybody would need 8 weeks minimum. You have to be fair to your body and give it a chance to heal and so does your boss!

You have been very encouraging to me and you absolutely cannot change your mind two days after I go for it! I still need you! Give it a little more time.
 
Re: I Made It!

MsHeidi ~

I know! I sit here reading your reply with tears streaming down my face! I'm sorry that I'm in such a blue mood today! I can't seem to do anything today without crying about it first. :cry4: The reality of it is that some people go through post-op depression (I did the postpartum thing too!), and it's really hitting me hard this week. Probably just a combination of many things.

I know that I'm really not sorry that I had the surgery - just down on myself today. What I am sorry about is that I let all of the people who've been relying on me for support see the negatives. However, I guess it's okay, because everyone WILL have them at some point - some worse than others. I will pray that you don't have to deal with post-op depression! And thank you for your words of encouragement to me!!!

I will most definitely still be here to cheer you on - through tears or not! I know that the only reason I made it this far is because of others being my cheerleader, and I want to help you any way I can! (So, if you ever see anymore of my posts that have sad or crying faces in them, don't read them - lol! :LOL2: )

In the meantime - keep going! From what you're saying in your thread, it sounds as if you're doing really well! I will continue to pray for your smooth recovery! :friends:
 
Re: I Made It!

I hope you realize that I am not chiding you for being blue. I'm the biggest crybaby on this planet! I'm chiding you for being an intelligent woman who is not applying her intelligence to herself! If you had read what you wrote in somebody else's post, you would have responded with some sage advice about having realistic expectations! Am I right? I think I am a tiny bit just like you. I, of course, being the dragon slayer that I am, will most certainly NOT take as long to heal as everyone else, because I am just too busy and simply have too much to do, and am just a little bit more determined than everybody else, etc., etc., etc. But, the reality of the situation is that my bones and muscles don't realize that they are part of a dragon slayer! They think that they are just normal, human bones and muscles!

Okay, I'm tired of pontificating for now. Believe me when I tell you that I will shed my share (and probably more than my share) of frustration tears. I HATE it when things take longer than I want them to take. I HATE pain. I HATE limitations on my abilities. And THAT is why I went for BTKR and probably why you did, too.

Chin up, fellow slayer. Cut yourself a little slack. You may need the Vicodin a little longer. You may need to work a little less for a little while longer. I guess I wasn't really finished pontificating. But, I am now. :)
 
Re: I Made It!

Oh no KK you are having a bad few days; try not to get too down, you do have a lot on your plate as I read It! As all the experts on here say you are in the early stages of your recovery - two knees .... oh my!!! Take some time to have some ME TIME please!

All us guys waiting for surgery realise there will be good and bad days during recovery, so your realistic posts are really no shock to us - don't feel bad about them. I'm sure everyone on this forum has done their homework and know the score.

I hope you have a better day :thumb: xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom