Guest viewing is limited

TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

@NetballKnees I am pleased to inform you that you do qualify as having Irish twins! Both your knees were done within a 12 month period.
Thanks for your wishes, I'm lying here in the clinic waiting for my op later today.

Take care
Mike
 
I also am glad that the surgery is behind you. I am going to give you the post op reading list again, just because this knee may be different and a new question may arise. I hope this recovery goes as smoothly as the first.

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Operation Day & Day 1

I had my LTKR on Tuesday afternoon about 4pm and was back in the ward for 7pm. I found it a long day, getting up at 5 am and driving to Dublin - not being able to eat or drink water all day was difficult.

I didn't really sleep through the night, it was more like dozing. I had the self administered Morphine, which I pumped all night!

I woke up on Wednesday morning tired but comfortable - pain levels 1 - 2.

The Morphine really scrambled my brain, I couldn't concentrate for more than 10 minutes - all my plans for relaxing and reading books or watching movies went out of the window, I was happy staring at my feet or the wall! The Morphine made me feel sick, so I had that lovely sensation all day and especially after eating.

I met the hospital physio in the afternoon and we started on my exercises and more importantly, I was given my crutches - I could now walk to the toilet etc.

The day was uneventful, my pain levels never above 3/10. My concentration started to return about 10pm, I was able to watch a bit of TV before I went to sleep about 11pm.

I slept well until 6 am (medication time), I woke up a few times for the toilet but went straight back to sleep. Finally woke up for breakfast at 8am with no pain in my left knee. My head and my knee feel good, ready for the next installment of my recovery.

Catch up with you tomorrow

Mike
 
@IrishMike

Good to hear how your first days have been going.
Since this is your second twin, you are well prepared, although each knee.
Can recovery in a different way.

I'll keep this short, as concentration can be limited in the first few post-op days.
Just dropping in to say "well done and good wishes for your recovery".

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@IrishMike - Happy to hear your surgery went well and you are recovering! Looking forward to reading your updates, as I've been rethinking my bilateral TKR in lieu of having them done one at a time and interested in how your rehab goes with a brand new knee and a relatively new knee! :)
 
Day 2

@marmora @tiredwife @skigirl @lunula thanks very much for your nice comments. Day 1 was very positive but day 2 was a different story!

I started off the day with no pain and feeling pleased with myself (I also expected that the pain would come) but as the day wore on my left knee started to swell and get stiff and sore - par for the course. I rested my knee for the rest of the day but it did not improve; I had a very unsettled night with little sleep and lots of discomfort.

I am not unhappy with my progress as I am still getting 90 degree ROM and I am able to walk around with the help of crutches. I can not do the leg raises due to my sore thigh muscles but this will come back over the next few days when the swelling goes down.

I like to compare my progress on a weekly basis because you can see the real trend of your recovery, daily reporting is too volatile even though it is helpful to see the ups and downs in the early stages and that progress is being made.

Waiting to see the hospital physio.

Talk tomorrow

Mike
 
Congrats to @IrishMike.
I just realized that I might be eligible for the Irish Twin Club, if y'all accept partials. So far my second twin has been even better than my first; hope yours follows suit.
 
Mike---you just had MAJOR surgery!!! Of course your knee is swollen----but why are you in discomfort? Ask for pain meds. That is what they are for----surgery patients who have surgery pain!!!

I also had 90 degrees in the hospital and the nurses told me that was amazing, so rest now and don't worry about the knee, it will be fine---but the first two weeks are about rest and healing--of yourself and your knee.
 
@jeano you can definitely join the club - we are democratic and all inclusive, so welcome!

@tiredwife I agree, I am not worried because it is early days, I will be more interested in my progress after 3 or 4 weeks when the operation is history and I am working through my recovery programme.

@skigirl I agree with you totally, that is why I said that I prefer to weekly or monthly updates. Daily timescales are too short with too many variables. I am only doing a daily update for the first week whilst I am in hospital so people see a more detailed description and also see that each day can very different from the previous one but that we all reach the same position after a few weeks.

I am very pleased with my progress, I can do all the exercises and walking that is requested of me except for raising my leg which is due to the swelling in my quads & calf muscles - these will settle down during the next few days.

Take care

Mike
 
Hi IrishMike. Glad to hear your surgery went so well. I am just catching up a little! Between exhaustion and pain meds I have been in a time warp. Very disorienting. Will try and keep up with your updates now that I am awake. Lol. Wish you all the best and an uneventful recovery. Xoxoxo
 
Back
Top Bottom