Guest viewing is limited

TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

I like this nutella sandwich idea--could make a good breakfast...
 
Week 1 (9 to 15 September)

I had my LTKR last Tuesday 9 September, the operation was fine and I have had a reasonable time during my first week.

The are a couple of differences from my RTKR in January 2014:
  • I had staples this time instead of absorbable stitches in January - my right knee reacted to the absorbable stitches such that my knee filled with fluid, felt infected and took a long time to settle down. With the staples there was no swelling, in fact, nothing drained from my knee after the op. Hopefully this will help my short term recovery, last time it took nearly 10 weeks before my stitches were happy.
  • My left thigh is very swollen such that it restricts my knee bending, hopefully, the good news is that the swelling should come down in the next week. I have been putting plenty of ice on my thigh to help bring down the swelling. Last time there was no real swelling and my ROM was about 105 when I left the hospital, this time it was 88, I am not worried because the ROM will come with time and exercises.
I decided this time to take it easy during the first week and almost not do the exercises but just walk and ease myself into my future routines. It has worked especially with my swollen thigh, there is no need to aggravate the situation.

I have slept very well most nights from 11 pm to 6/7 am and have been generally comfortable ensuring that I take my meds on time etc.

My physio visited me on Tuesday and he worked on both legs, dry needling the right thigh muscles and ligaments to ensure that it stays alive during these inactive weeks and, working on the left leg to loosen the muscles and generally relaxing the leg in readiness for my exercises etc.

I started my programme of formal exercises and walking on Wednesday, 3 times a day - monitoring any reaction that I may get etc.

Overall, I am reasonably happy and I am looking forward to getting the stitches removed next Tuesday.

Mike
 
Hi Mike @IrishMike Sounds like you are doing great I am at week 8 and still are trying to get a routine happening as I have returned to work at week 5 and am finding it hard to get into a routine as when I get home i nearly fall into bed but I have to say you are so lucky with your sleeping as i can't not get through a full night with being woken up by my knee being a bit annoying.

J
 
@marmora @jul @tiredwife Thanks for the feedback

@marmora I need a formal routine otherwise I end up doing nothing (which I am very capable of doing!) - the list of exercises that the hospital physio gave me, I put on a spreadsheet together with space for walking & icing with specific times to start e.g. 10 am, 1 pm & 4 pm. I fill in the quantity of each rep etc. or reason why I didn't do an exercise e.g. leg too swollen etc.

I find that this helps drive me and relax any anxiety that I may have about "am I doing enough or too much". I keep an eye on my knee for soreness etc. just in case I am doing too much of a particular exercise - in my case, I can easily walk too much and don't find about the excess until hours later!

@tiredwife the swelling was mainly from the bruising on my thigh and calf; ice & elevate was/is the order of the day, thankfully all my swelling has now gone so any new swelling will be due to my exercises which is controllable. My quads are tight & hard but hopefully my physio will ease them when I see him on Monday.

@jul I have always been lucky with my sleeping (touch wood!) but the discomfort I am feeling is consistent with the pain I had before the operation so maybe my brain does not see anything different??

I also sleep with a pillow between my knees to stop my other boney knee hurting my new knee; when I wake up (usually to go to the toilet - am I in my 50's or what?) I place my operated knee on the pillow and (so far) fall back to sleep. I tend to wake up when my body tells me that it is time for my pain killers between 6 & 7 am - long may it continue!

We are coming up to the All Ireland Football Final weekend Kerry v Donegal; my wife is from Kerry and going to Dublin to the match leaving me at home to enjoy looking after the kids - the stairs at Croke Park are too steep and numerous for me to even think about going, ignoring the 80,000 people and the 20 minute walk to the ground! Her nephew is playing for the Kerry Minors (under 18's) also against Donegal, it should be a great day for him playing in front of 80,000 people! Hopefully a great weekend for the "Kindom".

Cathie I am sorry that they are not playing Dublin - revenge for last years semi-final....

Take care

Mike
 
You sound like you are very organized! I have had in home physio for five days and go to outpatient PT today. My PT is super effective. Only six exercises ten reps each and walking. I just try and keep moving even if it is sitting in recliner doing heel pumps, slides etc. you will do well doing what you can. Remember to ice and elevate as much as you can.

Have fun watching your nephew. Sounds very exciting and neat that your wife can watch him!!
 
Hello Mike @IrishMike

Dashing off to a Wedding - but yours in the only post I am answering to day - because I have to say !


" Up the Kingdom (Kerry) on Sunday" !

(* my Mum's from Ballyheigue and my Dad's from Ardfert & I am married to a Cork man).

Cathie
 
@marmora

Cathie enjoy the wedding and don't be shy when it comes to dancing but I would give the "Siege of Ennis" a miss....

I am an honorary Kerry man for the weekend but don't tell my family in Connemara!

Enjoy the wedding and when you need a rest make sure there is a glass of wine nearby

Take care

Mike
 
@IrishMike hope all went well with the soccer and your nephew had a great game. We are in our finals here in Aus my team isn't in. It is exciting watching a family member get so far in sport like that as I have 3 boys or men now and they all played football but my middle one would have loved to have gone further but it's so hard to get get there it's so competitive and we have a rule were if your father played then your son can play if they are good enough.

Your roster sounds great I wish I could have something like that but it just wouldn't fit into my life style.

@marmora catchy hope you have a great day at the wedding.

J
 
@jul It was a great weekend for Kerry Football (Gaelic Football not Soccer), they won both the Senior & Minor finals - more importantly my wife's nephew won with the Kerry Minors. There has been non stop celebrations in Kerry for the last week, sadly I couldn't attend because of my "lovely" knee but was there in spirit!

Today Europe retained the Ryder Cup against USA, so I am very happy!
 
Weeks 2 & 3 (16 to 28 September)

It has been a reasonably good 2 weeks, I have been sleeping well and making sure that I took my meds on time etc.

I have been taking it easy with the exercises and walking. The swelling in my muscles has reduced considerably and I am able to get more flexion on my knee - feels about 105 but I will test it in a couple of weeks when things have moved on a bit.

My physio has visited me each week and concentrated on relaxing my muscles and stretching my ligaments/tendons, this has worked wonders on releasing pressure/tension in my knee. He has also worked on my "old" knee to make sure that it does not fall behind in its recovery.

Hopefully, things should move forward quickly and I will report back in a week or so.

Take care

Mike
 
Mike, your recovery sounds textbook! I think you can cope with a lot if you get a good nights sleep. I didn't, took weeks for sleep to sort itself. I was very anxious and generally things got better when I accepted that there wasn't much I could do to heal quicker and had to be patient. Am counting the weeks till I visit my 'local' Irish bar in gran canaria. Molly malones is my home from home!
 
@IrishMike Glad your wife's nephew's team did well! It is good you can sleep, so many can't. It is important to work both knees at PT and when you are exercising on your own. Don't want the first one to stiffen up!
 
Hello Mike @IrishMike

Up the Kingdom !!!

A great week for Kerry and winning The Ryder Cup this weekend has made September a very good month.
Your recovery seems to be going well and you are very focused on your recovery.

Good to have the update and take care,
Cathie
 
@speccybecky @tiredwife @marmora thanks for your comments.

I would appear to be a quick healer (touch wood!) but my progress so far is just getting comfortable with the peripheral pain (which I know can take some people a long time to sort out). My knee is sore (as I would still expect it to be) but my muscles etc. have settled down meaning that that I should be able to "progress" to more exercises/activities. The real sense of recovery will be in a few weeks/months when I can feel my knee is happy and I am able to do "normal" things without discomfort. My right knee is not yet there even though I had a quick "recovery" in the first few weeks.

It is very difficult to fit in my exercises because I have been working every day (albeit from home) for about 3 - 4 hours since I came back from hospital 2 weeks ago. Sitting for that length of time also brings its own problems, such as, stiffness etc.

This knee appears to be very different from my right knee and seems a lot happier; time will tell...

Take care

Mike
 
@IrishMike It is odd how you can have 2 knees on the same person, use the same OS, the same type knee and the healing can be so different. Hubby's first knee just had a little pain in the muscle and the second his pain is from the muscle and an occasions tendon pain on the side of the knee. At almost 8 weeks and 18 weeks they have pretty much the same ROM. Glad yours seems to be doing good!
 
Back
Top Bottom