Guest viewing is limited

TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

@Jozilla welcome back to the land of the living. Looking forward to us comparing notes and helping each other - only one day apart!
I am lying on the hospital bed wondering what to do with myself for the next few hours before I get my meds for the night. I am still finding it a little difficult to concentrate on anything for more than 10 mins - all these movies and books but they are no use to me!
Take care
Mike
 
I just tried to get thru each day. I came home last night at five and slept till four this morning - half in recliner! All the best!
 
@IrishMike Hope you have all your pain under control now! On knee number 1 hubby couldn't do leg lifts for 1 1/2 weeks, knee 2 he could lift it about the 3rd day. Don't worry if it takes some time to lift your leg, it will come.
 
Day 3

I decided to work around the swelling on my left knee doing only exercises that did not hurt my knee. I did 4 X 10 min walks around the hospital corridors during the day and iced my knee after each walk. Hospital Physio is happy with my progress etc. But more importantly, I am happy with my progress.

I should start to reduce the strength of the medication tomorrow, which I am pleased about, I can start to feel human again - no frazzled brain etc.

I slept OK after icing my knee until 1 am, only woke up for the toilet and finally at 6 am for my meds.

Starting to think about going home on Sunday (day 5).

Take care

Mike
 
Great going! You have the right attitude about exercising. I came home Thursday night. I had a big issue with blood pressure so my GP changed my medications and wanted me monitored. I think this is normal after surgery (for me) and will start to level off soon.

I got antsy in the hospital. This is my second tkr which could be why. The nurses took forever to get to your room so using my walker I would carefully go to the restroom. I got yelled at for that - yelled at one day after PT when I got in bed to take a nap. Another big no no. You are supposed to be up around six, get washed and dressed, than stay in the recliner until after five at which time you can collapse into bed.

Lots of crazy rules -- I am thrilled to be home! Hope you get to leave Sunday and all continues to go well!

(((Hugs)))
 
@Jozilla JoAnne,
Sounds like you have had a very tough time at hospital, that is not fair, you should have been in a place that is trying to help you recover and make your first days after your operation as stress free as possible. Hopefully, now that you are home you will have more control and can start along the road to recovery.

Take your time and work at your own pace, you are the only person who really knows how you feel and how you are progressing.

Keep in touch

Mike
 
It is good to have control! I am feeling much better on Day 2 at home. My PT came yesterday and will be here again this morning. He made me feel so good and is so positive about where I am at in my recovery, my self confidence went way up. I was even able to lift my leg without any help to get into bed! I was so lucky to find this PT with my first tkr and I know he will help me get thru recovery without pain!

(((Hugs)))
JoAnne.
 
Day 4
Again quite a good day doing exercises, walking and icing.

The strength of my meds is being reduced today which I am pleased about, I am now on Tylex, Ibuprofen and Asprin - this will be my medication for the next 21 days and I will be finished (same pattern as my right knee).

My head is clear and I can now enjoy reading etc.

I had a good night's sleep from midnight to 6am when they wake you up for the meds - I will not miss those early morning calls.
 
Day 5

Left hospital this morning, great to be picked up by the family. By the time we got home, I was 2 hours behind on my meds and could I feel it especially after being stuck in a car for 2.5 hours! I have just taken them so let's hope that I get some relief soon....

I am taking the rest of the day off, just going to lie around and do nothing.
Tomorrow I will start to put together my recovery plan - seeing my physio on Tuesday.

Hopefully, I will be smiling after the next couple weeks.

Take care

Mike
 
@tiredwife thanks but as you say it is difficult to bring it down. I am lying on the bed with plenty of ice trying to relieve some of the pain, I will just have to hang in there and make sure that I am better prepared going forward.

This happened the last time when I left hospital with my right knee, on a Sunday also when most of the chemists/pharmacies are closed, you spend ages looking around for an open chemist!

Anyway all sorted for the next 3 weeks, I hope.
 
Good Morning Mike. @IrishMike

Great to know that you are home and hopefully found a chemist opened yesterday, feel that hospitals should fill prescriptions if discharged on a Sunday - will send a memo to Leo about that ! (Leo Varadkar Irish Minister of Health).

The long drive home or any long drive the first few weeks puts great pressure on the knee. Hopefully, you are over the worst of that this morning with rest, ice and elevation.

Looking forward to following your progress on your LTKR !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@kneeper @tiredwife @marmora

I was pretty uncomfortable until I took my meds at 10:30pm, I lost my appetite so fell back to my old favourite, toasted peanut butter, Nutella & banana sandwich - it ticks all the boxes e.g. protein, carbs and comfort food but is not too heavy.

I had a good night's sleep again 11:30 pm to 7:00 am - I have always seemed to be lucky with sleeping, never ever needed meds etc. If I have one bad night, I seem to catch up the next night - long may it continue!

Talk later

Mike
 
@IrishMike - Great to hear that you're steadily recovering! I, personally, cannot have Nutella in the house or I will eat it straight out of the jar (until it is gone) - but I think I'll put it on my shopping list for my surgery since I will be relocated downstairs and the kitchen is upstairs - perhaps I can be trusted if my husband is responsible for feeding me. :eyebrows: Hope you get your appetite back for "real food" soon and you can keep your pain in check.
 
@lunula I think you should tell your husband that an expert on bonesmart recommends Nutella as an essential part of the recovery diet as it is very good for the soul (it is not necessary to say what I am an expert in!).

I found that after my RTKR I lost over 10 pounds in a couple weeks, everyone kept telling me that I looked ill, so this time I have various snack meals that have a reasonable mix of nutrients & calories, such as, poached egg with beans on toast and of course our friend with the Nutella. They take 5 mins to make and keep me going - I couldn't eat a roast dinner or anything like that; the drugs & pain must kill my appetite and taste buds!

This is working for me so far, I do not look like someone who is sick etc.

ps. FYI, I am an expert in procrastination along with my many other annoying male traits!

Take care

Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom