Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back for the LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so pleased for you! Well done, I hope you go from strength to strength.
I love to hear something great ;)
Cheers from Deb
 
@Lauramacky Good to hear you are doing so well, now don't get so excited (as my husband did) that you can lift that leg and end up overdoing it. His thigh hurts because he was lifting his leg showing everyone in the hospital he could do it. He was like you in that the first took about a week and a half to lift. Don't overdo it because it is doing better. Hubby had 91 flex the second day, before he overdid it, it was probably at a 60 when he left the hospital. Learnt his lesson. It is at a 82 now!
 
Hope your experience will be my experience sometime in the future - once amnesia has settled in about the 1st knee! You give me hope!
 
Thank you everyone. I'm definitely not overdoing and taking care. I'm just so happy that it's starting off in the right direction. The first one was just so hard but with extra surgery to correct a bad angle I think it made it harder to recover while this knee didn't have that issue.

I love this place! Meaning bonesmart lol. Know off to check some posts here. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Laura, I had the same experience with the second knee---glad to hear you are doing so well. I am going to give you the post op reading list--just in case!!!

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
@tiredwife @skigirl thank you so much! I appreciate the congrats and info! I'm already up to 75 in the cpm and have this wonderful recirculating ice machine which I didn't have before. What a treat! Life is good....I'm so happy and fortunate to have good health care. I always think of the people who are crippled who can't afford such wonderful new leases in life. It just be so hard. Prayers to them and all of us. :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Laura so nice to hear you are doing well. I remember you from your first TKR. Wasn't all easy going was it. You give me hope. I just dread having knee no.2 done. Recovery is so long and painful. I will watch your recovery with interest hope it continues to go as well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@robynhood I'm so glad you remember. I'm not blogging about it like I was before but I'll continue to provide updates here so people can see what's going on. I'm truly amazed at the difference already. I battled the CPM machine too and I'm in it now with mild discomfort. Hurray! Thanks for posting! Good to see you. How's the knee doing by the way?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well its 22 months since the op Laura and its only in the last few months I can honestly say hand on heart I'm glad I had it done. I was a slow healer and still not got a brilliant bend. But saying that the awful bone on bone pain has gone, I can do so much more than before. My greatest achievement I think is walking not running the 5K race for life in memory of a very dear friend who died in June from cancer. My daughters and I raised £600 for cancer research. Now that from sitting down every ten minutes whilst shopping was brilliant for me. My right knee is deteriorating as suspected but because it's not taking the full brunt of my left knee and exercising every day its a lot stronger than my left knee before TKR. I Have a troublesome Bakers Cyst that flares up which is a hinderance. . Why did you have your knee replaced so quickly after the first. ? I think you're very brave ❤️


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're off to a good start!
 
@robynhood wow look at you go with a 5K walk! And what a great cause but so very sad you lost your friend to cancer. :(. I had to have the second knee done because I could barely walk in the last few months. I had gel injections six months ago which worked ok but for a short time, then I had cortizone but my knee was so bad I had to get it replaced. He said it was a mess in there after surgery. I've had my doc for 25 years and he even did my moms knees. He's the bee's knees as we say. :). I'll be so much better for all this. It's very sore as expected but I'm looking forward to walking straight soon. Thanks for sharing your story! Oh and here's a view from my hospital room...
[Bonesmart.org] Back for the LTKR



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations on your new knee. I am glad you are having an easier time than with the first. I felt it was much easier the second time around also. My second knee was not quite as painful when I had it done as the first and that probably helped. Just remember the bone smart mantra and I am sure you will do great and soon no pain. Lee
 
@leejaa thanks much Lee. In supposing since I did the really bad one first, this one seems easier. Thank God for small favors eh? I am at 90 already on the CPM! But straightening is really my issue. Bending has always been easier for me.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations on the great start. Sounds like my recovery. Surprisingly easy. Sure there will be a bump or 2. But you will know what to do. Its so very easy to over do it , especially if you feel great and pain is minimal. I learned the hard way. You got the mantras, meds on time , all the time !! Proper elevation and excessive iceing is the key to a successful recovery. You are well on your way. Best of luck , Iceman
 
All good advice and words to recover by. Thank you! But what is proper elevation. Do you mean elevate often which I do or is it a way you elevate? I was always told to elevate above my heart.

I have this ice machine that I am loving and my insurance is going to pay for it which I'm thrilled about. I'm wearing it now as I'm on the CPM in fact.

Anyway enough of me rambling. Thanks for your note!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
:hi: Hi @Lauramacky
Good to hear that your first few days for your second TKR !
I also found great relief with the CPM when in hospital - know that doesn't suit all people.

Love, love,love my ice machine - it's 8 am in Dublin, had breakfast/showered & took daily meds and 2 pain meds
/Tylex and now :chillpill: Using my :ice:machine on the knee listening to radio in about 30-45 minutes will get up and do my first round of at home PT exercises and then my 25 minute walk !

My LTKR was 17th July - so 4 weeks and 1 day post-op.

May you have a continued uneventful recovery !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Great to hear Cathy! Unfortunately these pain meds keep me up grrr. That's the only thing about this that drives me crazy which I forgot about. I'm highly sensitive to pain meds and all of them keep me awake until I collapse or reduce. But I can't reduce now so early. I need to talk to my doc about this

I used the CPM last time in the hospital but suffered with it at home and finally chucked it and ended up with 135 ROM. for some reason it's not bothering me on this leg but I'm not surprised since this leg is in better shape. I had other issues going on with my first leg besides the knee.

This ice machine though is too cool. Literally LOL!

So none month for you. Sounds soooo great! Keep on going. Sounds like you're doing well!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom