TKR Back for the LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, Lizzie. Thanks for posting. I'm going to again tag @Josephine so that she reads your post as well. Since you have a recovery thread, please post information and updates there so as not to derail this thread. I look forward to hearing the outcome of your meeting.
 
@Jamie I visited this thread to see what's new from Lauramacky and see that the thread has kind of gone off on a tangent. Hopefully @Haze has a thread for exploring these issues.
 
Maryo52, I do not have a thread but I am good with the provided info and will just be following to see how things go for Lauramackey. No intention on my part to poist for amy more info. Jamie's info was what I need. Many thanks
 
Well I
Hi Laura
Have you tried taking Celebrex or similar drug to reduce inflammation? That might help some. I am sorry you are still having pain.
Cathy

I take arthrotec for my arthritis which is pretty powerful stuff. The nurse practitioner gave me a cortizone shot in my knee and OMG it feels so much better! Two days later, I'm running around like it's almost normal. So weird. I also had a fracture in my right foot on the same leg some years ago which is bothering me a lot. They gave me physical therapy for it and wanted to see me back after that. No tests or anything yet. It doesn't seem as hot anymore but I dunno...the NP said she has seen this very occasionally but wanted to keep an eye on it but didn't do any tests other than an X-ray and everything looks fine.
 
It's been awhile since I've posted, but I thought I'd let everyone know that today I've made the decision to do the left TKR. My right TKR has settled down and is still slightly swollen but my surgeon thinks it's not getting any break because I'm putting all my weight on it due to my left knee being so bad.

Today I can't even straighten my left leg. Ugh! They are fitting me in to do a cortizone shot. I've been putting it off because we were moving and my husband has been doing all the work because I couldn't. It's not been easy at all and a huge burden on him for EVERYTHING.

All I know is that me being a cripple is over. I've gotta get back on my feet and exercise and do things again. I'm still not doing anything because of my left knee. I can barely even drive because my back is so tweaked out from walking weird.

I hope they can get me in within a few months for the TKR. I can't even imagine lasting much longer but there *is* a process to go through before the replacement. Oh the joys. I can't believe I've gotta do this all over again.
 
Good luck! There is a whole bunch of us getting our second knees done - mine in September. My tkr is great but the other one is awful! Will look for your date when you get it!
 
Good luck! There is a whole bunch of us getting our second knees done - mine in September. My tkr is great but the other one is awful! Will look for your date when you get it!
I'll keep you guys posted! Maybe we can have a party in here while we're all recovering!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
that was why I did both at once. One surgery, one recovery. Especially if you know you need to do both anyway.
 
I just have to learn what a google hangout is! I am in!
 
that was why I did both at once. One surgery, one recovery. Especially if you know you need to do both anyway.

They wouldn't let me do two at once. I had other issues going on with my TKR leg besides my knee plus I have really bad fibromyalgia. Good that you could do both!
 
I will look for you here in the summer. Feel better.
 
Get er done.............the sooner you get it done the sooner you can start living a normal life again.
 
I am happy to read that you are moving forward with the next TKR !

All I know is that me being a cripple is over. I've gotta get back on my feet and exercise and do things again.
And that is a great attitude!!!

We will be here for you, pulling for you and helping you.

Please keep us posted on updates about when you can get it scheduled!
 
Thank you everyone for the encouragement! I just got my date. It's August 12th. He is booked out a little bit. I'm looking forward to getting rid of this issue and moving on with my life. Yay! I'm ready now. We have moved and are settled and I have a nice place to recover! I'll keep everyone posted!
 
Best of luck Laura. You will do just fine, probably the wait will be the toughest. It was for me. Now 4 months after my surgery, my life has changed unmeasurably . Its beyond belief . Its the greatest feeling. Well take care and best wishes. Iceman
 
I DO know! In fact, I can't wait for it to be over with and on the recovery end of things. I KNOW this one will be smoother and easier for me, not just because it's the second one but because I don't have all these other issues in this leg like I did the other one. Plus I just have this inherent feeling it WILL be easier. I can't wait to have my new knee and to travel again with my hubby!
 
Hello bonesmarties! I'm on day 3 in the hospital and I can already tell this leg is going to be easier.

Later in the day after surgery they wanted to put me in the CPM machine. I lifted my leg straight up while they put machine under and then I put it down! A far cry from the other leg when I couldn't straight leg lift it probably for at least a week and a half without help.

My surgeon said the operation went very smoothly and it was just two hours. I didn't have any of the angle corrections that went along with my right knee thank goodness.

They have been taking excellent care of me with the right medications for sleep, inflammation and pain.

I've already started physical therapy in the hospital I getting up out of my bed putting my socks on and walking around a little bit. I've noticed that last time with my other knee I was hunched over the walker for a very long time and had a hard time not leaning on it. This time I wasn't relying on it as much and mostly just for balance and walking heel toe right away.

I'm pretty excited about this because I just know that this is going to be the leg that turns out well. There's just an innate feeling about it.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's great that you are doing so wonderfully. Wishng you a smooth recovery with minimal pain.

As someone who was just told by PT that I need to NOT hunch over walker and I need to concentrate on heel/toe, I know just how helpful it must be to not being doing that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom