TKR Back for the LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear your left TKR is so far easier than the last one. You probably don't remember me but you were a big help when I went through right TKR. Hope you get medication straightened out so you can sleep better.

Dorothy
 
Good to hear the second knee has been a bit easier than the first. Much like my experience. The first one was in terrible shape; longer recovery.....second one was "easier"....out doing yard work in 6 weeks or so. Your progress will continue; remember to be patient and not overdo; especially since it seems a bit easier to you this time.

Best to you!
 
Okay so I think I'm now posting in the right place. Sheesh...I'm sorry if I've been in multiple threads. I hope people will give me a thumbs up if I'm in my own thread. I think the ipad is confusing me but it's the easiest thing for me to use right now.

I'm home from the hospital and the surgery went really well! I'm amazed at how much better this knee felt over the last one. What is different you might ask? Well, my other leg had a horrible groin pain, back pain and an issue with my foot. This leg had only the knee issue. That has to be it. The surgery wasn't as extensive either because I didn't have to have a huge angle corrected like the other one.

I have this really great feeling about this knee! Home therapy comes tomorrow and after my post op in two weeks I start out patient PT.

I'm on the CPM machine at 90 already, comfortably I might add, and have the continuous ice machine. THAT is a blessing! I really like it a lot.

Thank you everyone for being here!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Btw..I'm over on a recovery thread now....no more arthrotec, yay!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You give me hope @Lauramacky thank you xxxxx keep up with that wonderful recovery route xxxx I'm so pleased for you, I truly am xxx well done xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Glad to hear you are doing so well!



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Question for you all. How do you sleep the first night? I've been in the CPM machine for a long time tonight and I want to lay on my side? Is that ok? I have my ice machine on. I think I want to live with it on! Man I like that thing :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Slept OK the first night, I was well drugged, then they keep waking you up for tests etc. As for being on your side, you will quickly find you knee does not like it. You will do better on your back for a few weeks.
I loved the ice machine, had it on for hours in the early days, be sure to have something between you and the pad. I cut the leg off some old sweat pants, it works great, and is comfortable under the pad.
Hope you get a good nights rest,
 
This is my day 4 but first day home. I think my back is best too. I've forgotten what I did before. I was wondering if I need to keep my leg straight but there's no way I can control it when I'm sleeping so there's my answer. ;)

I have a paper towel in between my ice pad and my knee. We are using ice chips and water so it doesn't get as cold as cubes and water. This nice machine is so great! I didn't have one last time.

Thanks @pumpkin! Glad you're doing well!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the idea of the sweat pants. I found a thin towel which I think is better than a paper towel at night. I don't want freezer burn. I'm now cozy on my back and not in very much discomfort surprisingly enough. Zzzzzzz. Nite!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Lauramacky

I know you've don it all before, but here's a reminder about the BoneSmart mantra and reading list:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I used to wrap my ice bag in a tea towel - that was big enough to wrap it securely.

Keep up the good work! :loveshwr:
 
Hello @Celle! Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. What else do I have to do but catch up on all the info right? ;). My first night at home was a but rocky just getting everything situated and handy plus I had horrible diahrrea from those stupid stool softener so they gave me so I was up and down quite a bit. Ugh! But finally I got to sleep.

What I've noticed after spending some time reading here is that no two recoveries are the same...even my two knees are different. This time they are managing my swelling a lot more because I have fibromyalgia pretty bad and I'm really noticing a difference in how I'm feeling because of what my doc learned from the last knee. Also, I only take oxycodone during the day and take OxyContin at night so I sleep. I'm highly sensitive to medications and the ones that make everyone else sleep make me stay awake which runs me down and interferes with my healing process.

I notice that my doctor used the glue again yay. And the scar is probably about six inches long. I have PT coming today (oh joy). I seem to be tolerating the CPM machine sooo much better this time, double and triple YAY! Sure feels better when the leg is slowly and gently moving. Plus it keeps me safe and out if trouble.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@turtle68 hello! I do remember you. I moved over to my other recovery thread...I think lol. I'm still finding my way around this ipad app because it's easier for me to interact with it right now. Thank you! I'm so glad I helped someone!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom