THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandybeach -- I am about 60 miles from DuQuion, closer to St Louis. I have to agree we do have better weather :)
 
sandybeach I remember Nair, too. They still sell it? It smelled sort of funny, but hey, it's better than having legs like a gorilla! And I bet it would be alot safer than letting the hubbies shave us! Ouch! :yikes:
 
Kim22 how are you feeling now? My PT checked me out, and was very non-commital about my groin pain... Next stop is the orthopedic surgeon for my 12 week visit. We'll see what he determines after checking the xrays and examining me. I hope he has an answer and a solution.
 
Kylesh, I have gone down there my entire life to visit my grandparents when they were alive. I have been to St. Louis a few times.
ByGosh, I don't know if they sell Nair or not anymore but I bet there's something similar. I would never let my husband shave my legs nor would he want to. I have been able to shave my legs since the operation.
 
Josephine I would really appreciate some information and advice on Tendonitis. You may recall that I twisted my operated hip awkwardly about 12 days ago resulting in groin pain I rang my physio when the soreness had not improved After an examination she diagnosed Tendonitis of the rectus femeris and advised me to do deep massage to the area for 1 minute each day to increase the blood supply and to help break down adhesions.I was to take short walks outside with my stick and to carry on with 2 of the 3 standing exercises I had been prescribed.I have stopped the hip flexion one but doing THR abduction / adduction one as well as the backward extension one. I take paracetamol and ibuprofen together 3 times a day.She told me that the tendinitis can take up to 6 weeks to be resolved.

I am very concerned as well as so annoyed with myself as I had felt so much better leading up to this incident with less pain and walking so well and now I have gone backwards. I had this op so I could walk again and it is so hard to imagine this is going to happen at the moment.I realise it is early days and I need to be patient but I can't help wondering if this is something that is difficult to treat.
 
she diagnosed Tendonitis of the rectus femeris and advised me to do deep massage to the area for 1 minute each day to increase the blood supply and to help break down adhesions.
I'd sooner do that for a few minutes 3-4 times a day. See here Acupressure massage. But she's mistaken about the cause and effect. The reason it works is because, provided you get on the trigger points, it encourages the muscle spasm to abate. 90% of all these kinds of pain is due to muscle inflammation and/or spasm. Adhesions don't cause pain, they cause stiffness and you don't get adhesions with a THR anyway.
She told me that the tendinitis can take up to 6 weeks to be resolved. I realise it is early days and I need to be patient but I can't help wondering if this is something that is difficult to treat.
Well she's not wrong but it's awfully difficult to put a time on it as it's different for everyone. I'd say 6 weeks is a minimum and yes, it can be difficult to treat and often hangs around below our radar for months after.

For instance, I had a bad case of ITB (ilio-tibial band) coupled with Trochanteric bursitis about 18 months ago and the ITB still hangs around from time to time. Nowhere near as bad as it was at the start but enough to be annoying. It's niggling as I sit here writing this with my leg up on the recliner and it gets antzy when I'm stuck in a stop/go traffic on the way home from work. But I find that even when I'm driving, the acupressure massage keeps it in check.
 
Kim22 When the PT pressed around on the crease of my upper thigh yesterday, right about in the middle, between where the hip bone sticks out and the inner groin area, both sides were painful in 1 particular spot. He said that's where the rectus femoras muscle is inserted into the (inferior?) iliac spine. I think that's where he said they inserted. But he wasn't saying anything more and didn't give any type of diagnostic opinion. Those areas were very, very tight and stiff post-op for a long time. The left side was so tight that I couldn't extend my leg out flat to lay down, and slept with my knees bent.
I just thought that was interesting since we're both having groin pain and the rectus femoris has been mentioned. Mine didn't occur suddenly with movement, though, like yours did. It started after a long week of over doing with many doctor's appointments, driving, and walking into the buildings.
Unfortunately, it has really stopped my recovery in it's tracks. I think you're fortunate that you have a PT who actually gave you a diagnosis and a treatment for it. Sounds like the massage is the right thing for you to do.
 
Josephine Thank you for the information.I will give the Acupressure massage a go for longer and more 3 times a day.You say this is hard to treat and it can hang around for ages but do you think I will be able to be able to get back to hiking at some time in the future.
 
I don't see why not - eventually. I do pretty much everything I want to do now though that doesn't include hiking!
 
Hi ByGosh It sounds like we may have the same condition doesn't it ? Although The pain came on after the twisting incident I had been overdoing things leading up to it with too much walking, standing around and taking too long car rides as well. The problem was that the weather changed for the better, it was warm and sunny and I got carried away. I had this op to be able to walk again and I found that I could and so enjoyed it.The weather has gone back to its usual miserable self again, cold and wet ! I feel the same as you do that my recovery has been stopped in its tracks and of course I had a taste of how good it could be and I had felt on top of the world for a while anticipating an active future. Sorry to be such a misery but I am finding this roller coaster ride difficult to cope with and cannot get back into a positive mindset at the moment.

Although the PT seemed to know her stuff and worked out what the problem was she has no plans to see me again as she is so busy like most of the NHS staff they rarely seem to do hands on stuff like you have in the US I may have to see another practitioner privately but then you cannot have both as they discharge you from the NHS I feel she is a very experienced practitioner and I would be reluctant to do that. I am seeing my OS on Friday so I will see what he advises.
 
I don't see why not - eventually. I do pretty much everything I want to do now though that doesn't include hiking!

Thanks Josephine. Just one more question as I am considering getting some hands on therapy if things don't improve, in your opinion which type of practitioner would be appropriate ?
 
Hi Kim22 I was so sorry to read that you have hurt yourself. You were kind enough to reply to my first post last week and gave me very good advice. I'm afraid I can't do the same for you as I am new to the 'hippie' life but send kind thoughts and good wishes your way. And what a difference five days and a post on this site has made. I haven't cried once since last Tuesday. I think that knowing having the blues is normal after a THR has made a lot of difference to me - I was so distressed at times. And I don't feel all alone in the post THR world anymore, so many kind folk on this site. I've found answers to so many things that I was confused about - the 90deg rule, using pain control meds among many. I actually had a decent sleep for the past two nights after months pre-op without sleep except when I literally fell asleep through exhaustion and weeks of poor and disturbed sleep post-op. I've also encouraged my husband to read threads that will help him understand various aspects of my recovery and this has been enormously helpful to him. And today I achieved two great goals. :happydance: I dressed myself from head to toe - including putting on my socks and trainers. And even better - we went to a neighbour's celebration this afternoon and I got all dressed up and wore and walked in my two inch high heeled shoes! I love, love shoes and if I couldn't have worn my high heels anymore I would certainly have cried! I didn't overdo it - walked aross the road, sat down, stood up, sat down, had a couple of glasses of vino and walked home. There is light at the end of the tunnel.:yes!: Get better soon. Ros
 
Nylsor Hi Ros, Thank you so much for your good wishes and kind thoughts.They are truly appreciated and I must say you have cheered me up.I am so glad that you feel better for joining us on this site and you feel supported and have not cried since Tuesday.You are doing so well and its great that you can now dress yourself from head to toes.You are about a month ahead of me so I hope that I will b as good as you in 4 weeks I must admit I feel that I am getting better in the dressing department. I so agree with you about being able to wear heels for special occasions. I wear sensible trainer type shoes for the vast majority of my time but if I go out for the evening I like to wear nice shoes.I have never found any shoes that are sensible but stylish I feel like I age by about 20 years when I try on leather shoes that are good for the feet LOL.So glad you enjoyed your afternoon celebration and the vino would have done you good as well.Regards Kim
 
Kim22 I completely understand your 'feeling better then doing too much' situation! I think that may be exactly what I did, too. I had the impression from the in-home PT that the more I did, the quicker I'd get better. And I was getting exercise after exercise to do from the out-patient PT. So of course, I didn't know any better and did too much, I think. You're right, recovery is a roller coaster ride. Though for me, it's been mostly downhill for awhile now. I hope yours turns around quickly for you! :)
Don't feel the need to apologize. I also feel like a misery and haven't really posted much about this on my own thread at all. I just don't know what to say. Especially since I was only told by my OS assistant that I had 'soft tissue inflammation'. Then the actual MD OS called me and said on the phone he thought I had a tendonitis. That's not really much to go on without him examining me yet. But, yes, it does sound similiar to yours with the groin pain, and the rectus femoris thing.
I hope your OS gives you some good advice! Is the massage you're doing helping any? How about the Arnica cream? Do you use that on your groin?
I keep telling myself that this has to get better. In the meantime, I ice alot, rest alot, try very hard not to do anything that could aggravate it further, try to keep occupied and cheerful, (at least on-line!)

Let's both feel better tomorrow. Keep your spirits up, Kim, there's still alot that can be done for both of us, I'm sure.
I hope you get some sleep. :sleep:
 
Kim22, I looked online what the rectus femeris muscle is. It's the same muscle that I had problems with after my first hip replacement. I used the technique that Josephine said, the apply pressure on the area that hurts. It worked. But like you I cut way back on exercises and walking. I rested the leg, did the pressure on it and iced a lot. It took a few weeks for it to get better but it did. Once it left, I haven't had any problems since. I think the best you can do is let those muscles rest. I have stepped up my activity, I kind of over did it on Wednesday. My leg got sore and has been sore since. Today I couldn't just stay in the house and sit around so I have been on it a lot today. I have to cross my fingers and hope it's better tomorrow.
 
ByGosh Thank you for your kind and understanding words. I must admit that I was in a very negative frame of mind last night and its hard sometimes to come out and say that as most post are so positive and the last thing you want to do is bring everyone's spirits down however sometimes you just have to say it how it is.Well today is another day, the sun is shining and my daughter and grandson are on their way to stay until Friday so those 2 factors have lifted my spirits.

I am using Arnica cream on the groin and its fine. I use it after my massages which today I have done for longer and Ihave increased it to 3 times a day as recommended by Josephine. I am using the technique in the article she posted.You are so right to say that something will be done to help us and this is a great way of doing something ourselves Could you ask one of your PTs to check you out and to demonstrate where to massage.

I also feel there are too many PTs pushing hippies too far in the early days when more rest is appropriate I must say that you live and learn and I think that's why the second timers seem to sail through.I use heat instead of ice now when resting as advised by my physio and Imust admit I prefer it.

I slept very well last night thank you and that makes a difference.So on with our recovery and I hope we both start to see some improvement soon.
Kind Regards Kim
 
Hi sandybeach It sounds like you had the same problem as I have now and its reassuring that you got rid of it in a few weeks with the massage How long did you massage for and how many times a day ?

Sorry to hear that you have overdone things this week and have some pain I hope it's better now
 
Kim22 what I had I would do the knuckle pressure probably up to 4 times a day. I would keep pressure on it until I could feel the pain subside. I had it for several weeks but little by little it went away. It would come on when I walked. I would have to find a place to sit or it would continue to get worse. It was easy to find the sore spots in my leg by just touching my leg. What I have going on now I think is muscles that haven't been used in a long time, but it still hurts. I took a few pain pills and I am going to continue doing as much as I can and work through it for at lease a few days and see how it goes.
 
This gave me such a needed laugh! The Nair thing. Dates me as well. Thought it'd be a god-send. But didn't it have a horrid, funky, rotten-egg smell? Yes, that short-shorts jingle is still ringin' in my head. I also remember my sister and friends and I buying this green bean green colored wax thing that you "cooked"in a sauce pan and then applied in strips to your legs. Not like today's wax at all, more like melted Crayons but it too smelled funky and was horrible.

But I am very sorry for the trials, Kim, and know a little how you feel about feeling bad about writing in with not all positive things. But that's okay. No one expects this to be a Yellow Brick Road of no potholes. You know, I agree with you too about PTs and how they shouldn't necessarily be followed to the letter; they sometimes are too aggressive and can set us back. I really think hard before just jumping when mine says to jump. And I like my PT very much, though my sessions with her will end soon.

Best of luck to you, and hang in there.
 
Kim22 I'm so glad your spirits have lifted and you had a nice sleep. A visit with your daughter and grandson sounds like just what you'll enjoy most right now. There's nothing like having family around to give us love and support.
Thanks for the info on the cream and the massage technique. We'll see if I can manage the massage correctly. And I feel that same about posting anything less than positive, but as Peaches so kindly said, it's not a Yellow Brick Road! (good one, Peaches!) :) Not to mention all of those potholes!
Aren't we all so lucky to have each other's support and kindness?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom