THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liveringer You're a doll! :flwrysmile: Thank you for finding that! I knew I read it someplace, but couldn't remember where. Now I just have to get some and try it.
Maeve Yes, dear, stiff upper lip it is then! No more impatience. We can't hurry this healing process no matter how hard we want to. And I will have to look up Magnesium because I've no clue on the dosage. It is certainly worth a try.
sandybeach I once had a boyfriend who said "The last thing I say to myself every night is 'I can't sleep!' then I wake up the next morning." Sort of funny, but when I say that I really can't sleep. It's getting later and later at night before I fall asleep and later and later in the morning when I get up. Like you said, getting our nights turned around. Sort of like our babies did when we brought them home from the hospital! Waaaaa waaaa waaaa:boohoo:
Kim22 I hope you finally fell asleep! Did you see the sunrise, or happen to doze off with a cup of tea in your hand? LOL That story about the tea was yours, wasn't it? 4am is really getting late - you're switching from UK time to US time! Handy for us who want to chat with you before our midnight comes around! :) I hope you get yourself some rest, today and/or tonight, sweetie. It's hard being tired and dragging. We all know what that's like.
 
Hi ByGosh By the time I fell asleep the sun was on its way up and the birds were singing the dawn chorus so when I woke up at 8.30am I felt like death warmed up. We had a busy day as my mam came home from hospital this afternoon I tried to do as little walking and standing around as possible and my husband and brother did most of the work so I didn't have to but my groin is objecting now.She is so happy to be home which is great and luckily she is having carers twice a day.There are things in life that we just have to do.I am sure I will sleep better tonight When I was on the strong pain killers I slept like a baby every night but not now.
 
Kim22 You didn't get much sleep did you? Poor thing. But I'm glad that your Mom is home now. Does she live with you or on her own? Sorry you have that to tend to as well as your hip. The carers should be a big help for her and you. It's a struggle but if I have to choose myself or my family, I know that they always win out. Even the dogs get the best part of me! I feel guilty and know I shouldn't. That's some of the reason for this current situation, trying to get better and take care of everything again.
I wonder if you're doctor would give you a little something to help you sleep? Those pain meds do affect us, don't they? I often take some diphenhyramine (Benadryl in the US) which has a side effect of drowsiness, and it can help. It's an over the counter antihistamine for allergies. But if I get one sleepless night, I'm usually really tired and sleep better the next night. So you have that to look forward to tonight, I hope. Pleasant dreams! zzzzzzzz
 
ByGosh Thank you I think I will sleep well tonight as I am very tired.My mother lives alone about 12 miles from me.She has also had 2 hip replacements and 2 revisions herself so she is aware of my restrictions and limitations I would say having professional carers gives me peace of mind. I'm off to bed now.Night night
 
Kim22, I hope you have a good nights sleep. I think it's all in the pain med's that when we don't have them anymore our bodies are craving them and therefore keeping us awake. I might have to resort to a couple glasses of wine in the evenings now that I'm not taking the harsh drugs.:cheers2: Oh, yeah, once I do get to sleep, I sleep the morning away. I have to get this straightened out in the next few weeks, no more lounging around when I get back to work.
 
Thanks sandybeach I slept really well last night so hope Its the same tonight When I first came off the strong painkillers I had one poor night followed by a good one. Things have improved now with just an occasional sleepless night.
 
8 Weeks Post Surgery

Its one week since I overdid the walking and then twisted my hip awkwardly resulting in groin pain radiating to the right knee. As there had been no improvement I rang my physio who came out to see me at home. It turns out I have Hip Flexor Tendonitis which can take up to 6 weeks to be resolved Obviously not good news but at least I know what the problem is. I have to perform self massage on the tendon for 1 minute every day,to avoid hip flexion exercises but to continue with the hip extension ones as well as the abductor / adductor ones.I am to try the flexion exercise after 2 weeks but to discontinue if they cause any pain. She advised me to take short walks with my walking stick outside and to go back to the old way of going up and down the stairs She also checked my knees which are both ok and the pain in them is due to referred pain from the hip flexor She thought it was a good idea to use Arnica Cream for the sore leg muscles.

On the plus side I have noticed a bit of improvement with my ROM as I can reach my ankle on the operated leg now. I am now managing to sit on lower seats as long as they are not too soft.My first appointment with the OS since I had my operation is a week Friday.
 
Kim, too bad about that hip flexor...:tantrum: but at least you have a plan to get it fixed and as long as it continues to work in the right direction, can't go wrong there. I had it prior to my surgery and it is just one of those things that just takes time and can be a real *bug*ger* to get straightened out. At least the other issues are directly related and not in addition to the hf. I know you just want everything to be done and right, but we all know it just takes time. :console2:

Will look forward to your update from your OS.
:flwrysmile:
 
dede62 Thank you I feel better knowing what I am dealing with and at least I have a plan to follow.I will certainly let you know how I get on next Friday when I finally see the OS. I feel I had unrealistic expectations about my recovery and definitely did too much as soon as I felt better. Oh well we live and learn don't we ?
 
Kim22 I'm glad you got what the pain was figured out. I haven't had any real set backs or muscle spasms. I feel I'm at a point where I need to step it up and start getting more aggressive now. I went to PT today and found out my front hip area muscles are really tight and I need to work at getting those stretched out. I also plan to start getting some walks in, not so long at first but work up to it.
 
That's great sandybeach If I were you I would increase your walking each day but little by little.
 
Kim22, Now that our weather has gotten so much better it's nice to spend time outside and outside time is more active. My plans are to take it all slowly and work up the amount of time walking and continue to be aware of my limits. I hope you feel relief soon but now you know what's wrong, that takes a lot of worry away.
 
Sorry to hear about your hip flexor. It must be a relief to know what's wrong, even though there's no quick fix. I'm finding my recovery speed has slowed a bit, the increased pain over the last couple of weeks hasn't gone, but I am finding clams easier to do, so that's signs of improvement. :)
 
Kim22 That a bummer about the hip flexor but guess what? You now know what it is and are working on fixing it. I am so happy you found out, now you can continue with your recovery. Also, great news about your ROM that is awesome. My therapist stepped up my exercises and stretches yesterday. Some sore muscles but the good kind nothing that ice/heat won't take care of. In the beginning I was doing leg lifts and always have a weight around my ankle. Wow, I asked her what did you bump that weight up to? She grins, says 10 lbs. holy ****! But after about 3 rises it was fine.
Can't wait to hear the report from your OS. Mine will be next week for 6 week post op, I'm sure he'll ease the restrictions as my ROM is also getting better. I am finding myself doing things and realize that I broke restriction.
 
octopus I read somewhere that once you get beyond about 8 weeks you don't notice improvements so much as they slow down and are much more gradual. It's good news about the clams as its a great exercise for the gluteus medius which needs to be strengthened after a THR. I still can't do them asI am not allowed to lie on my none operated side at all yet.
 
Liveringer I must say your recovery is going really well. I know exactly what you mean by good muscle soreness which in short lived and just shows you that they have had a good work out.I hope your restriction are lifted next week as well When is your appointment with the OS ?
 
Kim22 My appointment with the OS is Wedneday the 22nd. My therapist, when I go in Tuesday will show me how to do 3 shelf roll carts. Why you are thinking? Well.....I work in a school cafeteria part-time and I have to clean 3 of these carts a day. They are for our pre-k program we serve their breakfast & lunch on these carts. So therapist will see if I can do this, before my appointment with the OS as I think he'll probably release me to go back to work 2 weeks later. Get this it will be for only 2 weeks as school will end for summer vacation. Yeap, you got it "Life Is Good"....:egypdance:
 
Liveringer That's brilliant timing and even if work is tough you know that you haven't long to go before the long summer break. It sounds like your PT has tailored the therapy towards your own individual needs. That's what I call good practice
 
Liveringer 10 pound weights...wow. That's a lot of weight for your leg to handle but you said you did fine...that's a wonderful milestone. Is that straight out leg lifts? Just hope your PT doesn't have you over do....be careful with the push.
 
Liveringer Yes, I was going to say that I'm also impressed with 10 lbs. You've got some strong legs going on there, girl. As long as it doesn't cause you pain, you're doing good. And the back to work timing is perfect, just like Kim22 said - in a couple of weeks, all summer off.
I work at a school, too and my 12 weeks is up Memorial Day, but don't think I'll return if I still have groin pain/soft tissue inflammation/tendonitis or whatever-it-is issues. It's only for 3 weeks anyhow and I'm sure I won't be released if I'm not up to snuff. Although I'd love to go back and see all the kids.
sandybeach walking outside little by little sounds like just the right thing to do for you. I look forward to starting my walks again with the doggies. Oh yes, my daughter was at Walmart today and they only had Arnica Gel 7%, not cream. Is that what you have sandybeach, the gel? I was a little concerned because it has alcohol in it, and don't know if I should put it near the upper thigh/groin area. Don't even know if I can even put the regular Arnica cream there. I would imagine I could, no open skin or anything, but not exactly a big muscle....Hmmmm any ideas?
octopus you were 1 day after my surgery, and I had increased pain for the past few of weeks, too. Did you hurt yourself? I have to read your thread and check out what's going on. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom