THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Spring in my step If I properly recall The Wizard of Oz, that yellow brick road was filled with dangers along the way for Dorothy and gang----very much like the joint replacement recovery road.
 
sandybeach, Peaches and ByGosh, Nylsor, Thanks to you all.We have just had a lovely Italian meal out with a couple of glasses of wine and managed to walk to and from the restaurant pushing Jack in his pushchair with minimal groin pain Jack was so good he slept during the meal and woke up with a big smile on his walk home.

I agree with you Peaches that this journey is not a Yellow Brick Road of no potholes and I remember that awful smell of Nair . I am lucky that I have always been quite fair so it has been less of an issue with me in fact the older I get the less of an issue it is for some reason. Thanks Sandybeach for your information I will follow your advice on the massage.Bygosh I so agree with you that we are so lucky to have each others support and kindness I feel so much better thank you all so much
 
Kim22 It sounds like a wonderful time family, wine & dine! I'm sorry that you are still having groin pain I hope by massaging it will get you back on the right path again very soon. I go see my surgeon on Wed. pretty excited about that in hopes to get rid of these TED's just to start with....:rofsign:
 
Hi Liveringer Thank you I too hope that the massage works I'm encouraged that others have found it beneficial. I hope all goes well on Wednesday with your OS and you can say goodbye to those stockings. I was lucky that I didn't have to wear them but 30 days of horrid injections instead. I am seeing my OS on Friday and I have a list of questions on what I can do and what I shouldn't do.
 
Kim22 ByGosh Liveringer I don't think that we should feel that everything we write on here needs to be all sunshine and daisies. This is the place to let others know that we do have hard times with the recovery otherwise we paint this unrealistic picture that there are no set backs or pain. If I thought that I was the only one struggling through I would be so depressed instead I receive encouragement to know that I'm not alone. When I wake up with a aches and pains I know it's not uncommon at this point, others have that too. Or I know if I over do things I will have to pay later on so take things easy. And those days of pity parties, I'm glad I'm not alone with those. Even though we came on to this site as strangers, our in common surgeries have made us friends and given us a valuable support system that I will always be grateful for. So lets continue to share all our goods and our bads:tada:
 
Liveringer I am so glad that you had a nice meal out with your guy yesterday to celebrate his birthday. Going out never felt so good did it ? Each occasion is an achievement. I still use my cane when I go out I will probably take it with me for some time yet even if I don't use it you never know when you need it.

sandybeach You are so right of course we should continue to be honest about the bad times as well as the good ones as we are all in the same boat and going through the same experiences of recovery.Sometimes it is frustrating one step forward and two back.
 
Nine Weeks Post Surgery

I am still having problems with groin pain though dare I say it ? It seems to be a tiny bit better.I have increased the deep massage to the rectus femoris tendon 4 times a day and I am doing it for longer I am now up to 2 minutes.I also use Arnica Cream and have just started taking a homeopathic oral Arnica too as well as Magnesium,Calcium and Vitamin D For pain relief it is still Ibuprofen and Paracetamol together 3 times a day. I am taking short walks but not pushing it and using one walking stick.I am continuing to do the exercises that the Physio told me to do ie, abduction/ adduction and backward extension of the hips I go up and down the stairs as I was taught in hospital to lessen the stress on the hip flexors. This morning I got down on the floor and back up again with the help of a chair for the first time just to check that I could and it was fine.I can lie on my operated side longer now.I drove the car for the first time last week for a very short journey and hope to build that up gradually.I am noticing a slow steady improvement in my ROM and can now dress without the grabber but still use a sock aid for the right foot but can reach down to pull the sock up.I am seeing my OS on Friday for the first time since I left hospital I have a long list of questions for him.
 
I've been rethinking the Yellow Brick Road thing! You're right--it was filled with horrors, landmines, potholes. But at the beginning, when Dorothy just began to go down it, it looked like one bright sunny road of nothing bad, just the road back home. Like Dorothy, little did we know what our Yellow Brick Hip Replacement Road would entail (despite reading about some of it here).
 
Hi Kim22 - you seem to be coming along well. Isn't it great when we're able to do something new? Might not be a lot for some but for us hippies it's a step forward. Yesterday, I knelt down for the first time - I had this fear that I'd dislocate - and it was fine. And I've started laying on my operated side in bed - can manage about an hour but this is much better than two weeks ago when I could only manage about ten minutes and it made me sore. I didn't try again until three days ago. And because the sun shone here yesterday, my husband and I planted up hanging baskets, pots etc. I didn't bend over to do it but managed very well standing at the patio table and it was so good to do something I normally do at this time of year.
Ros
 
Hi Nylsor You are so right about appreciating doing something new even if it is a very small thing.I felt so happy when I managed to get down on the floor and back up again LOL I bet you enjoyed doing your hanging baskets now all we need is a bit more sun to enjoy our gardens.I was just catching up on your own thread and sounds like you feel so much better. I an so pleased for you.
 
Peaches That's really a very clever analogy, The Yellow Brick Road with our recovery. None of us can be completely sure how it's going to play out for us, and there are the inevitable ups and downs and challenges to face along the way. I'm just watching out for those flying monkeys now! Better keep my little dogs close by!. :heehee:
sandybeach Thank you for that very true and thoughtful paragraph. It's so important that we can support and encourage each other in this long and bumpy journey. You are very sensible and compassionate. I really thought I would be completely 'back to normal' by now. I can see that it's going to take some more time and patience.
Kim22 That's a good update, really. I'm glad the groin pain is a little better and the information on the massage, Arnica cream and supplements is very helpful. How much Magnesium do you take? I'm trying the massage and am hopeful for improvement, too. :)
 
ByGosh How are you getting on with the massage ? My groin area is very tender to touch now but its not half as painful when I walk but I am feeling it in both knees and down the outside of my none operated leg.I am so gladI am seeing my OS this week.I am taking one tablet a day of Magnesium 375 mg with Vitamin B Complex I started taking them when I was still on Codeine to help with BM issues and they were effective but when I read they help with muscle function I just carried on taking them.I hope you have an improvement soon.
 
Kim22 and ByGosh magnesium is good for your digestive system, I try to take two pills a day. Isn't potassium good for muscle pain? Maybe only if you're low on potassium...:shrug:
 
Thanks sandybeach I try and eat lots of fruit including banana every day for the potassium.
 
Hi sandybeach Yes, Magnesium is good for digestion and muscles. It's a good idea to supplement with it. Potassium - Is necessary for the muscles, but I don't think it's an over the counter type mineral. Too much can affect the heart muscle. Eating bananas, and fruits like Kim22 said, is a good way to get it into our diets.
Kim22 I've been doing the massage everyday to the two sore areas in the middle of the upper thigh that the PT found to be painful. Also the sore muscles in the actual mid thigh. I don't know if it's helping, but the groin pain doesn't seem to be quite as severe. (finger's crossed) I've had it get better before, only to worsen as I increased my activity. So now I'm not rushing anything.
It's good that your groin pain has lessened, but I'm sorry to hear your knees and good leg are now hurting. :sad: This hip OA and replacement surgery with it's recovery sure gives our bodies a beating, doesn't it? I think the muscles, ligaments and tendons are traumatized during surgery and get inflammed and easily injured post-op. Plus our legs, joints, and muscles need to get used to a new gait, so they get sore, too. It takes awhile for everything to settle into a 'new normal", I think.
I hope you find your OS visit helpful to you and you start to feel better in your knees and legs,too.:)
 
Hi ByGosh I am definitely taking a leaf out of your book and not rushing anything.As you say our bodies take a real beating from years of Pain and then there is the trauma of the surgery and a different gait to cope with so its hardly surprising that our soft tissues play up. I know that we will feel much better in time but I am now prepared to have some aches and pains from time to time as I have aged by almost 3 years since I started out on this process.However I had a phone call from the hospital this afternoon cancelling my appointment as my OS has a fractured arm.Poor guy I also feel sorry for the patients whose operations will be cancelled. They will rearrange the appointment but it maybe with another OS
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom