THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandybeach It is a form of leg lift with a large coffee can w/a towel wrapped around it and placed behing the knee. My therapist has been gradually adding weight. We she first started with me I think it was 2 lbs which is about the weight the hospital used. She does not believe in over doing it, she is pretty good a knows her stuff. She has helped incorporate some of the exercises for me to do at home also, makes a big difference.
 
ByGosh I do have some pretty strong legs. Being a horseshoe pitcher you need good leg stamina. When I throw horseshoes it is for 4 hours or more, over 240 shoes thrown, walking stake to stake (40 ft) each pitch. The last time I was able to pitch was Feb. and I struggled to get through that. When I am able I will be getting into shape for NYS Championships in Sept, then the next big one will be The World Tournament in my own back yard next year.
 
ByGosh, that's interesting you have increased pain too. I haven't hurt myself, I just put it down to getting back to normal life and not having so much rest. I've just gone into winter shoes, so thought it might be wearing pre surgery shoes. I have bought new ones and have been wearing them almost a week, still waiting to see if it makes a difference.
 
Hi all, I have just done the deep massage to the groin or to be specific the rectus femeris tendon and It was a little less excruciating than yesterday. I followed this with Arnica cream. On another positive note I drove the car for the first time since my surgery today It was a very short journey within the village and it was fine so another milestone ticked off
 
Great news Kim! I have found this healing journey quite good in the respect that we can see the progress of healing happening. Being able to do things we could do a few days ago or a week ago. You are right healing seems to slow a bit after the eight week mark, time to compare to two weeks ago instead of a few days. Being able to drive again is great! Good for the soul to be able to get out and about and do things for oneself. :happydance:
 
octopus Yes, I felt that I had more pain after I started more activity weeks 4 and 5. Nothing specific, no injury, just too much I think. So I've slowed it down several times and felt better only to find when I do things again, like run an errand, keep an appt, it starts back up. I think I tend to over do.. but it's frustrating. This time (fingers crossed, I hope there is another time), when it feels bette,r I am going to let it feel better for a long while before I do anything.
Yeah, the old shoes may not really be suitable for the new hips. Mine were worn out in a really lopsided way and my PT told me to throw them out!
Kim22 You're making progress! My daughter looked for Arnica cream but only found Arnica gel 7%. What type do you use? I wonder if the gel is ok? Kim is it possible you describe the massage your Physio taught you to do on that rectus femeris? I'm wondering if that's the spot where I hurt, too.
 
ByGosh I am using Nelsons Arnica Cream it says on the tube that the active ingredient is Arnica Montana tincture 0.9% I must admit that as my hubby is doing the shopping at the moment ( along with most other things,bless him ) I just asked him to get it from the Pharmacy within Sainsburys the supermarket and that's what he came back with.Maybe I should look in to the different strengths.My daughter has some Arnica oral drops that she apparently used in labour to help her with the contractions She is visiting on Sunday for a week and bringing them with her for me to see.

The tendon lies about half way between the inner thigh and the middle of front of the thigh at the top of the leg.The physio did the massage and then supervised me It was easy to find as when I put pressure on it really hurt. You have to dig in with your fingers and massage it using quite a bit of pressure. When you first start it is excruciating but it does get a little easier as the minute goes on. Have you got any appointments with your PT coming up it would be better to have her show you..
 
Kim22 Thanks so much for the info. :) I have an appt. with my PT Fri. and will be sure to ask him about any type of tendon massage that might help.
 
Kim22

The physio did the massage and then supervised me It was easy to find as when I put pressure on it really hurt. You have to dig in with your fingers and massage it using quite a bit of pressure. When you first start it is excruciating but it does get a little easier as the minute goes on.
I had a few muscle spasms in my first operated hip and I did this exact thing, it helped but I had to do this for a few weeks before it went away completely. I could rub my hand down my leg and find sore muscles.
ByGosh the arnica cream I have is made by NatraBio and it also has as an active ingredient arnica montana 1x8% whatever that means. I rub this on to the incision and my PT said I should put it onto sore muscles but I, so far, don't have any that are causing problems...knock on wood.
 
Kim22 That so great! I don't know can you handle these milestones all in one day? jk Driving the car isn't that great I drove mine up the street to the post office yesterday. Here is my milestone for today I shaved my Mrs. Doubtfire legs today. :cheers2:
You're doing well, I still can't reach my lower leg very well, it's more like an ape than mrs doubtfire here.
 
octopus I used electric shaver, sat in my stuffed chair w/my leg elevated on a footstool and a way I went. I'm sure I broke precautions but that move does not hurt ME. Thank goodness I have my 6 week post op next week with the OS and hopefully lifts the precautions (as I catch myself breaking a few)
 
:rofsign:That sounds like what my hubby would do. I asked my girls who wanted to help me shave my legs a week or so ago (can't reach to do the right leg) and their reaction was pretty much what I thought it would be. :eeeuw: Oh well, at least this way I can embarrass them when I go out in public wearing shorts! And I will!
 
Hi sandybeach it sounds like a good idea to massage any sore areas of the legs. Before my surgery I sometimes used a foam roller to massage tight and sore areas which was quite effective but painful You have to lie on it and roll your legs up and down the roller. I think it must be the same principle but I wouldn't dare get down on the floor just now.
 
Kylesh "necessity is the mother of invention" ! Your husband saw a need, and that was his solution. And by the way, I really like it. That's just what I'm going to try because bending over still crimps my hips, and I'm wondering why I never thought of something so practical and simple?? I guess it takes a man to figure out the best use of duct tape! :heehee:
At first when reading your post, I thought you were going to say that he applied the duct tape to your legs and pulled it off to get the hair off!!!! :groan: Ouch! I am so glad that was not your story! :)
 
Kylesh, I remember those ads :shocked:But when in a bind those do work. Where in Illinois do you live? I have relatives in DuQuion. They are always bragging about their weather compared to ours. They also have that cute southern accent that is fun to listen to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom