Bilateral TKR Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if others had difficulty with intense muscle spasms? The last couple days it seems just as my body relaxes to drift off to sleep I have these agonizing leg clenching spasms which are incredibly painful. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm not a back sleeper so still rearranging myself several times a night on my reclining couch with a multitude of pillows. I find I need so many pillows to try to keep my legs straight, wondering if anyone has any extra ideas for elevating and keeping legs straight.

Thanks
Stacie
 
Day 11 Updates - my BS "aha" moments....
1. Even if you feel good, don't over do it!! Better to rest too much than set yourself back by self-induced swelling. I am not a sitter by nature so this is definitely an exercise in patience for me.

2. For the first couple weeks ROM is not the goal, reduced swelling, minimizing pain and improved movement should be the priorities. Get your body moving repeatedly throughout the day with natural activities like walking to kitchen / bathroom.

3. Continue to work on leg straightening, repeatedly throughout the day, not for hours at a time. I was trying to achieve elevation with straightening my leg while sleeping. I decided to give in to the greater need for sleep and feeling like my legs were supported / comfortable. I finally asked my PT on Friday because I could not keep my legs straight for extended periods without considerable pain. She suggested I separate the two activities - to elevate in a comfortable position (as straight as possible of course) to reduce swelling, but to do activities / stretches several times per day to encourage the straightening for 5-15 minutes as were tolerable.

Would love to hear from other BTKRs how they were doing around day 10-11. I can get around pretty good with my walker, get in/out of my walk in shower safely, using an elevated toilet seat with support handles, get dressed independently.

Wondering how frequently and for how long you were sitting upright in a solid chair?

Did you sleep in a recliner or your bed? Hard to move my legs without assistance or to get out of my higher tempurpedic bed, so using my reclining couch to full advantage.

When did you go back to wearing shoes? Since it's summer and movement is easier, I've spent most of my time bare foot.

Thanks
Stacie
 
I am also from Wisconsin! Kenosha area. Such a small world. Sounds like you are right on track from one BTKR to another :)
 
I have to confess, I totally cheated. I slept with a pillow under my knee so it was bent comfortably. At some point I had to work on straightening but it wasn't a big deal. But don't follow my example!
 
Oh I can understand that! I sit like that now with my feet on a level footstool and a cushion under my worst knee! It will be a hard habit to break I bet!:tada:
 
Day 13 post-op. Amazing what a difference a week can make. I had an amazing first week and second week has found me coming to a skreeching halt. Since I was doing so well, pretty sure I over did it with PT and way too much movement and now both knees are swollen and very tight. Wondering if others have experienced a decrease in their ROM (mine is close to 10 degrees both knees) from being too active and if there is anything other than ice, rest and elevation that I can also do. It was so disheartening, but even so, I have not gone into panic mode because of all of the BS info I had already read. Working really hard to keep my self stationary and allow my "angry" knees to find a happy place.

Stacie
 
Been there, done that! My advice to you is keep doing exactly what your doing. I'm not an expert, but that is what worked for me. You are so early in your recovery, be careful not to overdue it. I know.....easy for me to say. I am almost 8 months out and still have to be careful not to overdue things.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?
with joint replacements is TIME & PATIENCE. We have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give our hips and knees TIME to heal at their own pace. Nothing else works like these two things and nothing can take their place. But it is a very hard truth to absorb in the beginning of our recoveries.


Recovery is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take. So be PATIENT and let TIME take care of things with some assistance from you. Which means, of course, following the mantra: [Bonesmart.org] Post BTKR---Can we compare notes? take pain meds on a schedule;
[Bonesmart.org] Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?
get lots of rest;
[Bonesmart.org] Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?
elevate operated leg (toes above nose); and
[Bonesmart.org] Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?
ice, ice, ice, and ice some more!


Never, ever push too hard or do too much or the knee will make you pay. Time & Patience, Time & Patience, Time & Patience are the only way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?
 
Wondering if others had difficulty with intense muscle spasms?
I had some serious difficulties with muscle spasms in my quads, beginning the first day in the hospital. During my first week at home, I called my OS, and he prescribed a muscle relaxer, Valium in my case. This worked well, and also helped me sleep. It was a difficult time, but this medication really helped. You may want to consider this. I didn't need to use the muscle relaxers for too long, maybe a week or 2.
 
Hi Nomorepain67 I'm 6 weeks post op BTKR. I think you may be right thinking you overdid things. My first PT visit was 3 weeks out and then it was only gentle stretching and bending exercises. I also asked if I could try to work on my own at home as I didn't want anyone pushing me beyond my limit. That has worked very well for me. My visits to the PT are just to check on my ROM and gait. She is pleased with my progress so I just do what my body tells me I can do and increase activity when I feel I can.
Now..... At two weeks, I was sleeping quite a lot. I had several naps during the day and at night it was constant tossing and turning to find a comfy place. There wasn't one! :sigh: My activity was very limited. I walked about my house and still needed some assistance to get in bed as my left leg was lazy. I couldn't lift it at all for the first week.
I couldn't eat much and existed on dried fruit and tiny meals.I took my pain meds by the clock and still found that the pain returned before the next dose was due. I was able to go outside and sit in the sun for a while which was nice. My first " trip" was at 2 weeks exactly. I went to the nurse to get the staples out. I was only out 1/2 an hour but it did beat me out.
As time went on I found myself steadily getting stronger and gaining confidence. My pain levels decreased and I was able to go for longer periods between meds. At 6 weeks I can do so much more than I could at 4 weeks. My walks are longer and getting in and out of our small car is no longer a problem. I can sleep much better and don't take meds during the night. My discomfort is more stiffness than pain and I only need tramacet a couple of times during the day. I can help with light housework and do some cooking. I still rest and put the legs up during the day and can now get in and out of my lounge chair and enjoy the deck.
You asked about what you could do to reduce swelling and increase ROM and what you are doing is all you can do. Rest, ice and elevate. Don't push your recovery so soon. You need to heal from the surgery first.
I gave you my brief progress report so you could see that rest and taking it slow and easy works as I have had very little if any swelling from my first post op day and I am progressing quite well with my ROM. There will be bumps along the way but all in all it is a slow steady recovery.:console2:
Wanda
 
HELP!!! I need to leave the house for the first time tomorrow for my two week post-op to have my staples removed and I can't remember how to do the stairs!! When I was in the hospital, since I have just two individual 6" platform steps to enter my house, they only had me practice on a 3 inch platform. I was so doped up I have no idea what they told me to do, but I did it. I decided to try to practice today with my husband (big guy) home so I can do it tomorrow when my mother-in-law takes me to the doctor. I got to the doorway, put my walker on the bottom step/platform and began to shake like a leaf - arms, legs and everything else. With my reduced range of motion this week, all I see is myself going over the top of the walker and in a lot of pain. My arms were shaking so bad I can't hold my body weight and then my knees locked into place like they would never move again.

I have no idea how those of you who have two flights of stairs did it?? I thought maybe I could put a chair by the door, sit down and turn to slide my legs to the ground to stand up. Please HELP!!!

Stacie
 
@ Josephine
Hi Josephine
I added a new question to my thread that I need help with stairs, but could not find how to tag you before I sent it. Trying again to see if this reaches you to highlight my last post.
Stacie
 
Stacie, don't put a space between the ampersand and the name: Josephine when you want to tag someone. Also, I notice that you did not get our post op reading list which will answer lots of questions for you.

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it

- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?


Progression of activity for TKRs
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain

Using ice -

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
Hi Skigirl
Thanks for the clarification @ tagging someone. Had read it a few times before then couldn't find it. I did get the articles on the pre-op side.
Stacie
 
referee54, can you help with the steps question? I'm guessing a btkr is different from a singleton?
 
When I had my BTKR, they still said, "Up with the good, down with the bad." Even with a BTKR, there is a "good" knee and a "Bad knee."

You still go up and down steps one at a time ---go up with the better knee and go down with the knee that is slower in healing.

It will take time, and have somebody strong there to guide you. One thing that helped me was going down sideways---I would hold on to the banister and go up and down the stairs 90^ from what is normal.
 
There will be bumps along the way but all in all it is a slow steady recovery.:console2:
Inspirational Wanda! :goodpost:

I have no idea how those of you who have two flights of stairs did it?
Hope you found a way to manage those stairs Stacie...your experience makes nonsense of what my pre op nurse told me two days ago. When I asked about equipment she said they might not give me a raised toilet seat for my downstairs loo, as the physio might think that going up and down stairs several times a day to use the bathroom might be good exercise for me! No joke! Anyway I am not leaving it to chance, and am going to get my own in. We're talking 2 stiff knees here! Hope the post op visit and staple removal went well. You will have been whacked out by the time you got home I bet!! :ok:
 
Hello All,

Exactly 2 weeks post-op today. Figured a way in and out of the house using a chair that my family could turn so I could sit down, turn toward the door, skooch to the edge, then stand up on the lower level stair/platform. Today was exhausting for sure because I have an hour drive each way to the OS office, had to leave early due to construction and the time at the clinic. All-in-all was gone for about 5 hours. Legs felt like noodles by the time I got home, but accomplished many firsts with my new knees - in and out of the car multiple times, walking thru the clinic with my walker and even using a public restroom without an elevated seat. I did use a wheelchair to get from the parking level to the clinic on the 6th floor. Finally was given some compression tubing (not socks) to help with the swelling. Right knee continues to lag behind the left, but feeling better since icing, resting and elevating much more for the past 4 days. I have gained back 5 degrees in both knees and that was with a different person measuring and no pushing to bend to the maximum. The OS office called me later and added an extra visit for me to see the OS himself in two weeks rather than wait for the already scheduled 6 week OS post-op visit so he can check my range of motion. When they called to give me the date, the nurse said they were going to increase my PT to 5x per week. I flat out refused and told her that a schedule like that would not allow for any healing. Thanks to everyone here at BS for helping me feel confident in knowing how I want to continue with my rehab. I will switch from in-home PT to outpatient next Monday.

Best wishes to all,
Stacie
 
Wow, Stacie -
This is the first time I've read your thread - so much has happened in such a short time. But that is how recovery goes, especially in those first 6 weeks. That outing sounds like a confidence builder in terms of giving you opportunities to try new things. Somehow we "work around" our recovering knees. Everything seems to be going according to schedule - the knees' schedule, that is! Take care.
j
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom