Bilateral TKR Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stacie, (Nomorepain67) I have changed your thread title as you requested. I want to suggest that if you are not getting responses to questions that you tag folks. You can tag several members at one time or just one at a time. And ofcourse, you can always tag admins and mods to get their attention.

To tag a forum member, all you have to do is to type @ directly in front of their user name with no space between the @ and the user name. Be sure that you correctly type the user name or it will not work. While you are typing, a box will appear in the bottom right of your screen; you may click on the correct user name there rather than continue typing. To be sure that the member is tagged, look at your post after you have clicked "Post Reply"; if the tag worked, the user name will now be blue and underlined.

Do not follow the user name with a hyphen (-). The computer recognizes this as part of the user name, which it is not, and the tag fails. Also on occasion if the @ is the first thing on the line, it may be necessary to indent a couple of time to get it to work. This is why it is necessary to check your post after you have clicked "Post Rely" to be sure the tag has worked.

When the tag works, the member will get an alert at the top of his/her page, and by clicking the alert will be taken directly to your post.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hey Stacie-

I'm 19 months out from my bilat. Reading your posts brought back quite a few memories. You are doing GREAT! I always mention that I feel my recovery was slooooow. My numbers went up and then my rom/flex dropped into the basement. It was all over the place. I used my walker in the house for about 2 wks, outside of the house 8 weeks until my PT gave me a cane. I went to PT with folks who were still using their walkers at 12 wk, they just felt unsteady outside of their homes. Use it as long as you need it where you need it. PT always stated "use what you need until YOU feel you no longer need it". I felt my balance was off and for whatever reason from time to time I seemed to forget to pick up my feet. My knees and quads felt like jello. Better to be safe than sorry!

I did not experience any cramping or spasms in my legs.

I did not drive, per docs orders until I was 8 wks. I did find that there were times that my knee was tender when pressing on the gas pedal but more so when braking. I only drove to PT and grocery store (it's only 1 mile from our home) until about 12 weeks. As my legs gained strength I drove more. I did not drive long distance (2.5 hours form home) until I was 6 months out. I was slloooooowww...but that's what worked for me. I couldn't do a full revolution on a bike until 8 months, it was frustrating but I learned to dust off my shoulder and fuggetaboutitt!
 
Walker: less than a week. Yes, the knees feel like they can buckle; for me this was because all the bone spurs were gone and they could move freely. I soon got used to it, they don't buckle, they just move better.

Driving: 30 days post-op. 0.6 of a mile to the supermarket, in a car with power brakes and auto box.
 
Stacie, I had bilateral 11 weeks ago and I am still using my walker more than not. I walk around the house without it sometimes, but then I limp and don't feel that I'm walking normal. When I go out I always use it for balance. I am practicing Not using it, but its going to take awhile to work out the limp due to pain in the left leg and hip area. I'm going to ask the pt to help me learn the correct way to walk again. I was using a walker for at least 3 yrs before I had surgery, so some of my problem is pure habit. Theres alot to overcome with this surgery.

Luckily for me, I haven't had any spasms. I remember before surgery that was one of my biggest worries that I would have muscle spasms/cramping. I was so worried about it that I bought a bottle of *Crampz* just in case, but it never happened. I also feel blessed because I never had many sleep issues. As soon as I was able to sleep on my side (about a week and a half) then I slept very well. I would get on my side, put a small pillow between my knees but usually I ended up with the top knee resting on the bed just behind the botton knee which was comfortable.

I am not driving yet partly due to the fact that my daughter usually drives anyhow, so again its mostly habit. I'm not sure if I could use enough pressure for the brakes yet, but soon I'm going to give it a try.

I hope that answers your questions well enough and hope your issues ease up for you soon.
 
Hi! Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post op for me. My knees are coming along. But my big problem is having sinus problems from the time I came home from the hospital. Day 18 I was having trouble breathing, so my GP sent me to the ER. All tests came back fine, including CT for blood clot in lung. I did get Z pack for my sinuses. After 6 days I was feeling so good. I overdid it last weekend. Then by Tues I was sooooo miserable. I did go to PT, but she could tell I was "in distress" and walked me over to Urgent care. I was having trouble swallowing. That doc didnt do anything. Wed. my doc put me back on antibiotics. I was still having trouble swallowing. Friday I went to my GP and he blamed my problems on having both my knees done. I've been so depressed, and that didn't help. I feel that it's affecting my knee recovery. I do go outside and take short walks, and do a few household chores a day. Tomorrow I go to an ear, nose, and throat doc. I am happy to have graduated to the front passenger seat in our Honda Fit yesterday!

Has anyone had other illnesses that have affected your recovery??
 
Hornblower, sorry to hear you feel so lousy. Why would your GP blamed your problems on having a bilateral done? That doesn't make alot of sense to me. I can't imagine why you can't swallow or what that would have to do with knee surgery, unless when they tubed you in surgery?
I ran a mild fever after surgery and heard it was very normal. But two weeks later I still had the mild fever, and at about week three I developed a UTI and was given antibiotics which cleared it up. The fever went away and never came back, so I would imagine that my body had been fighting that UTI even before I developed any symptoms except mild fever.
I hope you feel better soon.
 
Hi hornplayer & scaredinCA & Roy Gardiner & Ditzzeechick
Thanks for your feedback on your journeys, I know we are all different, but sometimes you just feel alone.

Sorry to hear about all your upper respiratory stuff Hornplayer - must really stink to be recovering and sick. Sometimes medical folks crack me up, sounds like the time the PA asked my son about his color blindness when he was there for Strep throat. We've joked about it ever since that his color blindness caused his illness, duh!!

How's it going Scared? You haven't posted in awhile about your trip to the OS for your follow-up. Saw mine for my 6 week check last Friday and he turned me loose - don't need to see him for 3 months.

Ditzeechick - thanks for the look back, can't wait for the day I can say I'm 19 months out.

Hi Roy - wow can't believe you only used the walker a week. I'm leaving mine farther and farther away, hope to start with a cane later this week at PT. Slow and steady progress, every day a little stronger. Definitely still appreciate having it when I'm out and about for inclines and uneven ground.

Take care all,
Stacie
 
Hi Maria daughter stalker - As president of the ODIC can you please come over right now and revoke my card? I'm not a very good listener. Saturday had a great day with my mother-in-law we went to the farmers market, orchard, Walgreens and Menards to buy some fall flowers. Oops, I know should have probably only done 1-2 stops but felt so great to be out and it was a beautiful fall day!!

Yesterday at PT I have graduated from stretching to my first strengthening exercises - did two sets on the sliding squat board - felt great to do an actual "exercise" like in days past and wasn't even too sore after, just a bit stiff. Did a rating scale on daily living skills and was amazed how much more easily I rated many activities compared to even just two weeks ago. Always sleep poorly after a big PT day and was a little nervous about today.

Fast forward today, went to a team meeting for four hours in addition to a two hour ride round trip. It was great to reconnect with my co-workers but now I'm home on the couch with my ice bags and pillows. Not sore, just really tired & stiff. Luckily the hubby is cooking dinner tonight and taking the daughter to dance.

Hard to believe I'm now in week 7 post-op. The time sure goes quickly!!! Looking forward to getting back to driving, but kind of like getting chauffeured around and so far no one is complaining... "Driving Ms. Stacie as the hubby likes to say" :)

Hope all my BS buddies are doing well!!
Stacie
 
Nomorepain67 Have you tried using crutches instead of a walker. I find they gave me GREAT stabilization. When I left rehab on day 11 post BTKR I left with crutches only. Its not the crutches that go under your armpit, its the ones that have a C clasp on your forearm. I had went up from that to a cane by week 5 but then had a muscle tear on my left quadricep and went back to the crutches for 2 weeks. They give you more freedom with ALOT of support.

P.S. I am at 14 weeks post op and my hubby still chauffeurs me around....i LOVE it and he spoils me. I am going back to work next week and to conserve energy (parking lot is 4 long blocks from my job), I decided to take a cab in and have hubby pick me up. Wont cost me much more since parking isnt cheap and I live relatively close by.
 
Hi Stacey,

Sounds like I need to come by and take your ODIC card. When I take your card you will have to sign a document stating that you won't go ODIC again! :heehee: If you do I will go by Bionic woman2's place and give you her card (since she won't be using it for a while) along with yours so that you can be a two fisted swiper! :rotfl:

I am glad to hear that you had a good outing with your co-workers. Enjoy the extra care your hubby is giving you. You deserve it after going through something like this. :yes:

Have a wonderful evening! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Stacie, I think I posted under my recovery thread about seeing my surgeon for the follow up. It was all good, he said I was 110 in both knees, but pt measured me at 105 and 90something. He said extension was 5+ but pt measured it at 12. He didn't use anything to measure me with , just eyeballed it so I took his word and felt great. The following week pt measured 5+ on extension though. He said I was doing fine.
Today at pt they measured 12 on extension again, and 105 with assistance from the pt. I was so discouraged because I've been hanging my legs off the edge of the bed for two weeks, so I thought my extension would be great. Nope.. This takes so long.
 
...I've been hanging my legs off the edge of the bed for two weeks, so I thought my extension would be great. Nope.. This takes so long.
Indeed, two weeks is a short time. Check my exercises link below for an easy extension stretch you can do a zillion times a day.
 
Hey scaredinCA
I wouldn't sweat the difference in measurements. My PT told me that the difference between two people measuring can be +/- 8 degrees. He said even same person measuring can vary so hang in there. I have found that hanging my knees helps alot too. If I sit on a raised stool I have in my kitchen I find I can bend them more than on the bed because I can now touch the bed with my heals even if I skooch forward. Do you swing your legs back and forth while you are hanging? I have found that loosens them up much more. I'm at 105 (-2) on my left and finally over 90 on the right at 95 (-4). The extension varies 1-2 degrees depending on the day and if I'm doing it alone or the PT is helping me. I can get to 0 on the extension with light pressure, but he doesn't do it to much especially since I've told him as long as it keeps improving, no need to really "help" it get straighter since it will just go back to the unassisted position anyway!! Even when I've been in the ODIC my ROM has continued to improve even though I felt like I was more swollen.
 
Hi all you BTKRs on "the other side"! I successfully made it through surgery last week Thursday. It is now Wed, almost a full week in recovery. The first day was horrible. My BP took a nose dive, and I was throwing up. Luckily selective amnesia keeps me from remembering much of anything. The people in the hospital were great, adn we soon joined group PT classes. I felt much better moving a little bit, and icing. Just laying for long times was hard. Then on Monday afternoon the hospital and insurance company agreed I could go into a residential rehab for a few days, so was admitted late Monday afternoon. By the following day I was having 2 PT and 3 OT classes, a total of almost 3 hours. I have now figured out my showering situation, figured out a wheelchair, walker and crutches, and sat on a regular height toilet. Today I accomplished climbing 14 regular stairs both up and down (it's what we have in our house, so I've gotta do it!). I'm still on blood thinner shots, icing and elevating whenever I can. Our plan is to discharge out of here adn go home on Friday, so 2 weeks + 1 day from surgery. I'm feeling good about that!! Everyone as commented about how "courageous" I've been to do two knees at once. Marilyn
 
Roy I had been hanging my legs from the bed longer than two weeks. I should have explained that the last two weeks I had graduated to 10 minutes, 4 or 5 times a day. Sorry I didn't go into more detail.. I have tried doing those exercises you mentioned but I have the hardest time pushing my own leg down. I can't figure it out, its so odd, but whenever I push on my knee nothing happens. It doesn't go down one bit.
 
From one BTKR alumnus to another, I congratulate yo and welcome yo to the club! You will soon get the "secret handshake" ritual, too! (lol!)

My recovery was super-ultra slow, and I really did have to search deep within myself for patience that I did not know that I had---it took me a little over five months to lose a slight limp, and about six months befor eI was at around 80%-85%. Eight months, I would say that I was at 90%-95%. When folks talk about it taking upwards to a year to fully recovery, I , in looking back, completely understand now.

I did not drive until I was off of narcotic pain mes---around about five or six weeks. I started out on a walker, then went to crutches, then went to crutches used as canes, then to a cane for a brief period of time.

I also used a weight belt around both my ankles to gently and slowly stretch out my hamstrings as well as my quads. I could increae the weight in the ankle-belts to get more tension. I would also dangle my legs off the edge of the bed---both from my stomach and from a sitting position.

I went back to the classroom at eight weeks, and I can tell you that that was way too soosn. Swelling and stiffness appeared around 11:00 AM---and stayed throughout the rest of the day.

PAtience is indeed the key here--listen to your knees and avoid trying to work them too hard---they are (I had a slow learning curve here) in charge!
 
Hi Marilyn turtlepoet so glad to hear you are on the other side and on your road to recovery. Hopefully you will get the green light to go home on Friday. Wow 14 stairs - I only had two individual steps at the house and the max I've done is 3!!! I have not yet ventured into my basement - helps with getting the kids to do laundry - sorry mom can't go downstairs :) Keep us posted and let us know how you are doing. Keep an eye on the little improvements, help when the road gets bumpy.
Take care,
Stacie
 
Roy I had been hanging my legs from the bed longer than two weeks. I should have explained that the last two weeks I had graduated to 10 minutes, 4 or 5 times a day. Sorry I didn't go into more detail.. I have tried doing those exercises you mentioned but I have the hardest time pushing my own leg down. I can't figure it out, its so odd, but whenever I push on my knee nothing happens. It doesn't go down one bit.
Fair enough, if it works for you then carry on. It's just that holding a stretch for so long is supposed to be counter to the theory.

What's it they say? In theory, theory and practice should be the same, but in practice they are different :)
 
Roy, I've gone from holding the stretch that long to now bending the legs up for 20 seconds and then hanging for another 20 seconds thanks to what you told me before. Its working out alot better too because I'm not in so much pain when hanging.
 
not in so much pain when hanging.
:) Excellent, that's what I'd expect (being a smartarse). The theory is that short, gentle stretches have the required extending effect, long-duration tough stretches cause reactive tightening and consequent pain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom