THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Thanks, Jo. Actually my question was about the nerve damage. From what I am reading it only occurs in about 1% of hip replacements. Any other information or leads I might read about? Some days are extremely frustrating. Thanks.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

:scratch: Really? There was no mention of that in the post to which I was responding.
I was just trying to allay your apparent anxiety at being woken up 'early'.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie

I can see my gratitude list is going to be full with luxury days - another one today :)

Hope you are feeling better?
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Anita and Smja, looks like we three are all within a day of each other! My nerve issues seem to resolving a tiny bit, although I hear it takes a long time to resolve completely. I am doing well, feeling a little lazy too, not always jumping to do my PT exercises and I am very tired in the AM, letting myself snooze and not putting too much pressure on myself helps. 4 week post op appt is next Friday and I'm hoping for a good report. Hope all is well with you all.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie,
Sorry about the nerve issues - can't remember now if you had posterior or anterior approach. I had the anterior and feel a wee bit of numbness the front of the thigh, but I am hoping that will be gone by the time of my 6 week follow up. At least that is what my OS explained to me -- that it is rare in anterior approach for there to be permanent loss, but some mild nerve loss would be likely to resolve quickly. Sounds like you are taking a wise approach to respect the time frame of your recover. Putting pressuer on oneself isn't the same as a healthy challenge and is not going to do any good. Much better to take it easy and allow the necessary healing to happen.
Yes, you, me, Sandy, and, Kevin were all within 48 hours of each other - and we are all going along at differenct paces. Just the way it seems to go.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi all,

Been feeling better the past couple of days. Only tylenol today, yeah! Nerve stuff is still an issue but it does seem to be getting better. Numbness down the outside of my calf from knee to ankle, then ankle fully involved with tightness and some numbness under my heel and on top of foot. But again, it is so much better than it was. I am hopeful it will resolve fully. Days are long but I'm feeling like doing more now, actually picked up several areas of my home and did a load of laundry today. Amazing how the simplest things can make us happy.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Glad to hear that the nerve pain is subsiding. I believe that since there will be some swelling for several weeks, we are all likely to feel shifting levels of pain/numbness until the tissues are fully healed.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi All,

Not a good day today, I am extremely frustrated with this nerve issue. My hip feels great but the weird feeling from my knee down is not so fun. Ankle feels very tight and swollen even though it isn't. Anybody out there who had some nerve issues and have any input into whether or not they were able to resolve them? I can't seem to find any positive news about nerves on the internet. Dr. told me there is a 50/50 chance it will resolve but I would like more information. I see my OS this Friday for 4 week post-op and will see what he says. HELP!!!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie, Cardie told me about you and then I went out of town and hadn't had time to find your posts until tonight. I also have drop foot as result of my hip revision on Dec 6, 2010. I just hit the one year mark last week. I too have the numbness to the outside of my calf like you describe but I also have numbness and nerve pain on the inside of my foot. I can only move my foot up partially, cannot move my foot inward and can now move my toes at about 50% compared to my other toes. My toes used to just hang there and not move at all so this is progress! :thumb:

I've had 3 EMG tests and the doctor says I should get function back but no one really knows. I will tell you that since my surgery, the improvements I've seen are less numbness and pain on the outside of my foot and the increase of toe movement. Like the doctors say, improvement is very, very slow. Has your surgeon discussed having an EMG? I remember that I had to wait about 6-8 weeks prior to my first test so it may be a little too soon for you. This test will only tell you what nerves are damaged and show what level the nerves are reacting. While you can take medication to help with the nerve pain, (Nerontin) there really is no treatment for this. We are stuck just waiting and waiting. I've been told about two years for the nerves to heal but others have told me it can be even longer. My damaged nerves are the sciatic and peroneal nerves.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Like you said, it only happens about 1% of the time and we are the lucky ones. HA! Hang in there.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

So glad to see the two of you have connected and I hope you can provide each other with information, support and encouragement during this recovery process.

Many years ago I was on a cancer related forum and often heard people discussing the use of glutathione to help with peripheral neuropathy that was a side effect from chemotherapy treatments. I have not done any research on this supplement & don't know if it could be helpful in other nerve related issues like what you are experiencing from your hip surgery, but the thought came to me that I should at least mention it in case you wanted to research it further.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Karen and Cardie,

Thank you, thank you thank you! It is so wonderful to be able to touch base with someone who shares my frustration. Aren't we the lucky ones to be in the 1%!!!! I have actually made some progress in the past month when I look back. I can now move my toes forward and back (not fully yet) and spread them apart some, although the pinky doesn't like to move much. and I can turn in and out and do some very awkward circles. The tightness in my heel and back of calf is a little less tight so I am hopeful. I am not a very patient person so when my OS told me it might be months and months and months I couldn't believe it (of course I was on morphine at the time). I do have questions and hope I am not too nosey, of course if you don't want to answer I understand. Do you wear a brace or splint? Were you able to return to work? Do you take the nerontin? My issues are worse at night, during the day I can sometimes forget about it if I am having a good day and am distracted by keeping busy. It is the weirdest feeling isn't it? Not really pain, but something at times I can't really describe to anyone, just weird feelings, like you would think numbness was just that, a lack of feeling, but it can really drive you nuts. And how do you deal with the frustration? Thanks so much for letting me rant and vent, it feels good. And then on top of it all the doctors tell you there is no prognosis, just wait and see. We expect them to know everything and it is hard when they don't. Nerves are a wonderful part of our bodies but when things go wrong you realize not a lot is known about them. I plan on seeing someone for the nerve/muscle testing. I want to know what nerves are involved. I thought I had it pinpointed to the peroneal, but after a lot of reading find out the sciatic may be involved also, like you. I see my OS tomorrow for 4 week follow-up so will see what he says about waiting 6-8 weeks. I would rather enjoy Christmas anyways and then begin more dr. appt. after that. Take care!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Dianemarie,
So sorry to hear that the nerve issues are actually not resolving as I had previously thought. What a major setback to be dealing with at a time when you were anticipating relief from pain! I have had nerve pain associated with herniated disks so I have an understanding of how painful and frustrating it is to deal with - that awful, internal, electrical feeling pain. :arghh: However, I also know that the tissues heal, verrrrrry slowly, over time and can bring much welcome relief. Hoping that you are in the luckiest part of the 1% and eventually have full respite from your pain.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Oh, Anita,

You have been such a source of caring, kindness and encouragement to me...THANK YOU! I guess that's what this forum is all about. When I look back over the past month I have made progress with the nerve issues so that is good news but the progress being so slow can get a little frustrating as you well know. I like to write so decided I will keep a "nerve issue" journal so I can actually track any progress since day to day it is hard to notice any good happening. But, on the good side is the hip is doing great! I am off all pain meds. except tylenol and feeling stronger every day. 4 week appt. tomorrow and hopefully will be off coumadin and may be able to weight bear. I'll post and update. Oh, by the way I had a lateral procedure. Take care.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

I have actually made some progress in the past month when I look back. I can now move my toes forward and back (not fully yet) and spread them apart some, although the pinky doesn't like to move much. and I can turn in and out and do some very awkward circles.
That's a good start! You are ahead of me. :thumb:

I do have questions and hope I am not too nosey, of course if you don't want to answer I understand.
Of course you aren't being nosey. That's what this forum is about. Helping each other.

Do you wear a brace or splint?
I've been fitted with two different braces. The first one was an AFO brace which is made of hard plastic and runs up the back of your leg and straps just below the knee. You can google one to see what they look like. I could NOT get this to work with any shoes that I own or shopped for. It was very uncomfortable even though it was custom made for me. It also gave me a blister on the back of my foot so that didn't last long. I then got another brace that had a band that went around the middle of my foot and another that fit just above my ankle. Each piece had a strap that snapped the two bands together. This did me no good since I can lift my foot high enough to step and it seemed that was what this brace was supposed to help me do. My biggest problem is that my foot wonders outward. My orthotist then gave me some super, duper orthotics that come up high on the sides to help my foot that now over pronates like there is no tomorrow because of the nerve damage. These orthotics help the pronation problem but really dosen't solve my wandering foot problem so I've just learned to deal with it and try to concentrate when walking to make my foot go straight as best as I can.


Were you able to return to work?
I returned to work at just over 10 weeks. I had my first EMG test prior to returning to work so that I could feel a "little" more comfortable with what exactly was going on before jumping back out there in the work force. I also have an exceptionally long commute totaling about 3+ hours a day total which doesn't help. Mine is a left hip/nerve damage and I did have to buy a new car because I had a manual transmission. I did not feel comfortable driving this car since I don't have full control of where my left foot goes. This may not be a problem for you. So, this has been a really expensive hip, huh?

take the nerontin? My issues are worse at night, during the day I can sometimes forget about it if I am having a good day and am distracted by keeping busy. It is the weirdest feeling isn't it? Not really pain, but something at times I can't really describe to anyone, just weird feelings, like you would think numbness was just that, a lack of feeling, but it can really drive you nuts.
Yes, I take it only at night because it makes me sleepy. No way I could work if I took it in the morning. Yes, it's a weird feeling but now it's just always there. The sharp shooting pains are controlled with the neurontin though the constant tingles and numbness is always there.

how do you deal with the frustration? Thanks so much for letting me rant and vent, it feels good. And then on top of it all the doctors tell you there is no prognosis, just wait and see. We expect them to know everything and it is hard when they don't. Nerves are a wonderful part of our bodies but when things go wrong you realize not a lot is known about them. I plan on seeing someone for the nerve/muscle testing. I want to know what nerves are involved. I thought I had it pinpointed to the peroneal, but after a lot of reading find out the sciatic may be involved also, like you. I see my OS tomorrow for 4 week follow-up so will see what he says about waiting 6-8 weeks.
It's really hard to deal with the frustration. I started having my joint replacements in 2007 and have had four, so far. I still have an ankle to replace. I just trudge along and keep telling myself that one day, I will be able to walk again without support or pain. I am still using a cane. I use the cane to catch myself when I trip over my foot and also my hip muscles are just not there after so many surgeries. (I had major reconstructive surgery years ago plus the two hip replacements) It will get better for both of us. It's just going to take a long time and you are going to hear that again tomorrow when you see your OS. Oh, and the peroneal nerve actually comes off of the sciatic nerve. Definitely ask for an EMG test so you can at least pin point the nerves and get some more information. Let us know tomorrow how the appointment goes! Oh and feel free to ask more questions. I know this is a hard thing to deal with. We'll get there! :thumb:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi All,

Went for my 4 week follow up today and will start with the "hip" news. All Good! X-rays look great (I have uncemented), can stop the coumadin (yeah!), can start to full weight bear as tolerated, can drive 1 week from Tuesday, legs are the same length and everything is coming along just great. Now the "nerve" issue. They are encouraged in the changes the past month and I have to go back in 1 month, if not better then will do nerve conduction studies. Dr. also is having me try a small dose of neurontin to see if it will help. Hopefully it will help and not make me too tired. they said to take the firs dose at night because of this side effect. Karen, you are so right, they did tell me again about the long time to heal nerve thing. And thanks so much for all the sharing, it really helps to know you are not the lone ranger. I looked through the library here today and found some threads that were very helpful also (some of them written by you!) I am trying to stay positive and give myself a chance to heal but am thinking I must return to work, but still have 2 months off so will try to nurture myself and not worry. Take care.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Glad to hear your appointment went well. Enjoy the next two months and take care of yourself! :xmaswin:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi All,

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I am still having some issues and would love some feedback. Even though I am making some progress in some areas, others are bothering me still. The hip is doing great, no pain, doing my PT exercises does not bother it at all so no pain meds needed for that. On the other hand (leg really!) my surgery leg and foot are still bothering me due to the nerve issues. I know it takes time...but I can't get comfortable at all at night to sleep...wondering if others have used prescription med for sleep or what else has helped. Also discouraged with the slow progress of the nerve issues. I have started transitioning to using the cane but it is slow going as the nerve thing has kept my muscles weaker than with my 1st replacement. I'm thinking I'm being too hard on myself and that I should be further along at 6 weeks. Ah well, will try and get some sleep now.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Diane....I think you ARE being hard on yourself. Recoveries are not always the same from one joint to another. At 6 weeks, you are still very early in your recovery and it can be expected that you might still have some discomfort and difficulty sleeping.

Some of our members have used sleep aids such as Ambien, so that is a possibility. But before you try that, you might try upping your pain meds at bedtime. Remember, all of them only last for 4-6 hours, so you may need another dose at some point during the night to rest properly.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Thanks Jamie! The last thing I want to do is take another medication so I will try the pain meds if needed. Actually last night was the first time I slept better! I tried deep breathing, relaxing and using some essential oils and it worked. The more I can relax the better and if I can let myself realize this is going to take time I can "go with it" more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom