THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Thanks all for the sharing and encouragement. I am scaling back a little (been overdoing) and taking tylenol, will ask my OS for something stronger if I think I need it. This is quite a journey for all of us I am realizing. Less of a limp the last 2 days:yes 4:Not sure if I want the L hip done sooner or later, will wait a little and see how I feel and am doing. Think I am still in denial:skeptical:about it.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie

Welcome to Bonesmart, hope you are finding it helpful and supportive. I echo Jo's comment that pain in the 'Good' hip isnt uncommon at all, i found that at tims my 'good' hips was often more painfull that my operated leg. You are putting more strain on the good hip and using it more than you think so its not suprising you will get the odd ache and pain. I hope your recovery is going well.
Best wishes
Jak:snork:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

I agree with your changes!!! A little less activity, continue with the cane, and some over-the-counter pain meds should help you continue on a positive path.

You might consider some therapy....just a couple of sessions to learn some strengthening exercises and gait training. Remember to walk heel/toe, heel/toe in good long strides.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi All,
I haven't posted in a few days. Truth be known I am feeling depressed, angry and sad:cry:. I had a 10 hour stint in the ER on Monday and had a urinary tract infection, gall bladder attack and kidney stone all at the same time! It's really almost laughable, only I'm not laughing. Some people have told me that after a major surgery things like this may happen:scratch:I have this new hip, new lease on life and I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. I have lost a lot of confidence in my body and myself. Thinking of talking to a counselor a couple of times. Anyone out there share these feelings as they recovered? I try not to be discouraged BUT reality. On the positive, my limp is almost gone:yes 4:Thanks. Diane
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Dianemarie, that's a triple whammy! I've had a gall bladder attack and it isn't pretty. (No more gall bladder....don't miss it in the slightest.) Kidney stone....I hear tell that's even worse. UTI....how totally irritating!

Timing is everything. So.....would you rather have these things one at time? Or get it all over with at once? A year after your hip replacement? Two years? Spread out every three months...six months? An annual occurrence of something or other? Yikes....it's never a good time for any of it. They are all awful. What a mess.

So just like spilled milk, this is a mess that needs cleaning up. UTI....antibiotics. Gall bladder attack....if removal is in the cards, it's a pretty easy procedure these days. If not....what treatment are they recommending? Kidney stone.....meds or lithotripsy?

See? All treatable. Pain in the you-know-what (gee, I hope you don't have hemorrhoids too!!), but treatable and manageable. It's okay to cry your heart out....I don't know if it's normal to have this all go haywire so soon after your HR....but I can't imagine it's unheard of. Surgery does tamper with your immune system, not to mention all the pre-surgery pain and stress.

So...you come here to vent while you're getting it all sorted out. If that isn't enough, by all means check in with a counselor....there can never be too many support systems. But just as your limp is almost gone, every day brings healing and new strength. One way or another, or several ways....you will get beyond all this, and you will get better.

Till the next shoe drops.....at our ages, it always does. :)

Sharon
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Poor dear! I wouldn't call it laughable so much as ironic. You must be getting to hate hospitals!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

DianeMarie, triple whammy indeed! The feelings of depression and fear and feeling like my body was betraying me have certainly happened during my recovery. I love the idea of your getting some counseling support. Then, I'm a counselor myself so I'm a bit prejudiced. :th_heehee:

I don't think it's intended that we do our lives by ourselves. Support of lots of different kinds so assists us as we face challenges, at least that is true in my life. I certainly am sending lots of virtual support to you, along with general good wishes and healing light and energy.

How are you doing?
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Thanks all for the wonderful insight, as usual. Sharon, I like the thoughts you put out, like everything I have is treatable, gives me hope and perspective. My kidney stone passed on it's own:yes 4:which was a good thing and I meet Tues. with my GP to look at ultrasound of my gallbladder and will go from there. Meet with my OS tomorrow for a consult on my L hip and see where that is at (how much cartiledge is there, etc.) Knowledge can be a good thing. And thanks Margo. I am feeling much better, eating a little more and no pain so far. Losing more weight since I am not eating a lot. Hope you all are doing well.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Forgot to add, Josephine, yes, i don't like hospitals at the moment except for the pain meds they give when you really need them! Take care.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Oh DEAR! That really is a triple- whammy, you poor thing. I know I tend to think that after all this hip stuff, I should not have anything else go wrong ever!! ha I think it's normal to have a range of feelings after surgery and during recovery, the whole thing can kind of mess with you and your emotions. But yay, great news that your limp is almost gone!!!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Great news! Met with OS Mon. and L hip is pretty much bone on bone but I am not experiencing much pain, sometimes none so will leave it alone and recheck in 6 mo. RHR is doing great, still feel better everyday and stronger and have hours of not even thinking about my new hip. Met with GP Tues. and not having gallbladder surgery at this time. Some stones but unless they bother again all should be fine. Released to go back to work July 15 (am a teacher so not much to do over the summer except build up my strength.) Take care everyone.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Oh that's excellent! And typical! You're all in hyperdrive over these things and suddenly it's all 'let's wait and see'!

Actually it's also amazing how some people can have really bad looking joints that you can look at and think "Good grief, how ever could he/she walk on that?" but they report very low pain whilst another looks to have only very mild changes and are in agony. Seen it happen so often.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Dianemarie, I'm so sorry to hear of all you've been through here lately. (((((HUGS))))) to you!!!! It does sound like you've gotten it squared away now, though.

Do be sure you are getting enough rest. If you have an opportunity for naps during the day, take it!!! Right now your body is using a lot of energy healing from all of this and you will need as much rest as possible.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi all,
Doing great. Went to visit my daughter and son-in-law, they have steep stairs to get in their apartment and I did super! Going to do some PT to work on strength and gait, still a little lurch without the cane. Thanks for all the insight, at this point I sometimes forget how important rest is...Still losing weight (60 lbs. gone!):yes 4: and that is really helping with my mobility/healing. When I get my new L hip recovery should be even easier. Take care.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

:wow2: Good for you on all counts! What's the secret to your weight loss? Over how many months? Keep up the GREAT work :thumb:!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

60lbs? Jiminy Cricket, that's awesome!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

What a fabulous report!!! You are but a shadow of your former self with all that weight lost. I know that has to make you feel better as you enjoy your new hip.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi All,
Just getting back after a round in the hospital again with gall bladder and pancreatitis, gall bladder removed and about 2 weeks ago and am feeling better than ever. Weight loss has been since last Aug. when my OS told me I needed the R hip replaced it scared me and I wanted to lose weight so my recovery would be easier and it helped immensely. First did high protein, till that affected gall bladder now doing low fat and feel better, well over 60 lbs. gone now with the gall bladder surgery, don't want to eat much and still have a lot to lose but I am determined and when I need the L hip done will be in better shape than ever. Love, hope and peace to you all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom