Guest viewing is limited

THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Jo,

Thanks so much. I just read them all and the articles are great reminders. I think I stopped my pain meds way too early, trying to be "strong" and rush my recovery even though I know you can't. Just yesterday I decided to be gentle with myself and go with where I am at. When I look back 7 weeks I realize I have made great improvements just still have a long ways to go. And everything was so easy with my first THR I expected this time to be the same. Maybe having 3 surgeries within 9 months has something to do with it!
I feel able to give advice to others but don't heed it myself. Will take pain meds if I need them and rest if I need. Thanks again.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

I took pain meds both last night and the night before and guess what? I slept like a baby both nights and pain free! Even took a nap both afternoons. Feel stronger with my PT exercises. Next goal is to get strong enough to use the cane. I have started using it around the house a little but not strong enough to go out yet with it.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie,

That's great news you shared about your two nights worth of good, pain-free sleep plus some naps! I hope that your exercises will help you feel stronger and able to use the cane. Are you coming off of a walker, or crutches? I have read in other people's threads that arm crutches can be a helpful transition as well as the use of the type of cane with the multiple feet on the bottom (vs. a single foot cane).

You mentioned getting a prescription for neurontin from your OS, are you finding that helpful with your nerve sensations?

Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Cardie,

Yes, sleeping at night is so nice! I tried the neurontin and the first two nights I took it I slept so well, but on the third day I had lots of troublesome side effects so had to stop taking it. Right now I'm not taking anything for the nerve issues except the pain meds at night and that is enough to take the edge off. I am using a walker and trying to transition to a cane. My PT mentioned I might do better with the 4-pronged cane, so I will try that if no progress this week with the regular cane. The nerve issues are getting better slowly. I see my OS the 13th so will go from there. Feeling stronger and better overall. Take care and thanks for caring!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie

I have been reading through your thread regarding your nerve damage. I am so sorry. I can appreciate the type of pain as I have a bad back and suffer nerve pain with it.

I do hope that with time it will resolve for you. Nerve damage is the unfortten risk (I guess because it is rare).

Just wanted to let you know that I am thing of you and hope that you get a good result when you see your OS on the 13th. xx
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

One other thing I do when I have trouble sleeping for whatever reason is to put a heating pad at the small of my back. Mine has a timer and it stays on for 20 minutes, so I can go to sleep with it on. Normally, it will put me right to sleep. There is something about heat on that central portion of your body that is relaxing. You might give that a try also.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

So true Jamie,
I have one there right now :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie, Really glad to be reading that you are feeling and sleeping better. Amazing what a little tweaking of meds and friendly support can do sometimes. Hoping the nerve pain continues to subside- like Sandy, I am familiar with it from other issues.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi all,

Well I have spent the past 6 days in the hospital doing pain management. I felt great on Tues. 3 Jan. and did so much that day... all my PT exercises and added a few more reps. to get stronger faster, 4 loads of laundry, made dinner and was generally up and about all day. Went to bed feeling great and so happy that I was doing so well. Woke up Wed. morning about 5AM, went to bathroom and felt a tiny tinge, nothing to fret about, went back to sleep, woke up at 8:30 and could not move any muscle in my lower body without excrutiating pain. Called ambulance...good news is nothing was broken or dislocated, but it sure felt like it! So, now I need to take everyone's advice and take it slower and I WILL! Doctor says I "tweeked" something and my new hip did not like it. I was thinking I could get back to work as I will run out of time the end of Feb. but am realizing if I need more time, I do, there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. Take care everyone, glad to be back, I'll be catching up on threads over the next couple of days.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie,

Holy Cow, an ambulance! I am so sorry that you were in so much pain that must have been quite frightening. Certainly is good news that nothing was broken or dislocated. It is amazing the amount of rebellion our bodies can produce after these surgeries. I hope that you are resting comfortably at home and I'm sure you'll be scaling back your activity after that experience.

We do have to remind ourselves and each other to take it easy, resting is important too. We can't make ourselves stronger faster but we can give ourselves the gift of time to heal. :friends:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

So sorry, Dianemarie.....but you're back on the right track now. Hang in there and you'll get through this setback....it's only temporary.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Thanks Jamie and Cardie for the kind words and wisdom. Believe me, I am taking it easy and resting, don't ever want to got through that again. Am considered homebound so visiting nurse will come today and then they will send a physical therapist to do an eval. Hopefully, I'll be back to where I was in a little bit. No hurries (or worries!) this time.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Oh wow! Poor you.

I had my right hip done on the 15th Nov so we were in at the same time. I think I'd like more explanation from the doctor than 'tweaked' something???
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Had the visiting nurse in yesterday AM, don't really need nursing but they have to do the admissions. PT started (at home) yesterday afternoon. I have someone new this time, wanted a new perspective and I really like this guy. Did a full PT eval and started with some simple exercise without too many reps. I am afraid to move because I don't want that pain back, he thinks I over did it with housework type stuff and not from the PT because I had been doing my exercises right along with no issues.
Joanna, my OS and the PT department in the hospital did try to figure out exactly what happened to me with the soft tissue injury but my pain kept changing and moving to different locations so they weren't able to pinpoint the exact cause. Thought it might be sciatic nerve but it resolved quicker than that might have...but I'm just happy it resolved and I am on the mend and hopefully getting back to where I was. Not driving yet, still using walker but transitioning to cane and best of all sleeping well! Ah, the simple pleasures of life and always have to remember that terrible bone on bone pain is GONE!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Dianemarie,
The ambulance trip sounds scary, but I am glad to hear that the hospital stay did you a whole lot of good. Good luck with avoiding any more tweaking. I understand how it can be hard to not go ahead and do everything you want to do on the days when you suddenly feel so much better. It's certainly something we all have to watch.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Ouch! And ouch! Again Dianemarie, what bad luck.. that should shake a few of us up to take it a bit easier.

You and I are a day apart with our surgery days. I am back at work, graduated and still use my walker occasionally.. I say use whatever feels comfortable at the time - walker, sticks, unaided.

Big lesson for me today.... I did 6 loads of laundry ...

I do pamper myself a fair bit though, rest on the bed whenever I can is my motto!

I am so pleased for you that you are now on the mend :)
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi DianeMarie!
Nice to meet you!

I am walking without cane all day, but I'm still very slow. I am 10 weeks PostOp Revision (RHR, 2 dislocations, Revision surgery)...

I just notice I am very Slow and feel sort of like a Robot:hysterical:
At least we can laugh at ourselves:)

Congratulations on that Weight Loss! Wow, that is Fantastic!!
What a commitment you have made to yourself and your health. That is really something...
Peace & Healing to you!
Laura
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi LPLaura,

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, and I need to get myself going on the weight loss again as I have more to go and am now feeling like moving a bit more again. It is so easy to start loving those carbs!
Sandy, wow, 6 loads of laundry, good for you! I am staying away from too much around the house after my "issue" so yesterday I started a 500 piece puzzle...that will keep me busy and hopefully away from doing too much too soon again. Ha!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Laura , you sound like you are doing really well considering what you have been through -well done you :)

Hi Dianemarie, they were small laundry loads... Not too taxing. But good that all my business clothes are laundered and ready for next week.

Take care both of you, lol xxx
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Oh dear oh dear oh dear! What a hard way to learn a lesson. Still that's much more fun than listening to the BoneSmarties, eh? :th_heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom