Guest viewing is limited

THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi there Jo...... missed you, sincerely hope you have had a nice break :)

Selfishly, it is good to have you back, watching over us, providing such wonderful advice, support and comfort. - again welcome back :)

Hope all is well with you?
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Thanks, Jo! I do listen to the the bonesmarties but it is easier for me to give advice than take it LOL I didn't think I was overdoing it because I felt so great!!!

Now, I am taking it easy and want to find that balance without overdoing it again. Yesterday I felt a little "tinge" of pain while getting off the toilet, half way between the middle of my back and my hip below my waist and it was a tiny tinge. Later when I laid down to go to bed I felt a little pain in the same spot. Because I am so afraid of having that severe pain again I got out of bed and tried to sleep in my chair, took pain meds and used ice pack. I didn't sleep very well.:sigh: Around 5:30AM I got in bed and slept till about 7:30. Anybody else have fear of pain and if so how do I get over it?:scratch:

Every night I am dreading going to bed because I am afraid I will wake up with that awful feeling of not being able to move without excrutiating pain. It is quite frustrating:hissyfit:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

I think your fears will lessen as you continue to improve. Pain can really knock your confidence if you start worrying about it and you'll just need to see that your body is healing to be able to let it go.

Make sure you are adequately medicating for whatever pain you have also. That will help things go smoother. You are still not very far out from surgery and have had two major procedures in a year.....that's a lot to go through!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hello to you!

I'm a newbie too :snork:

I agree that pain comes from compensating for your worn out hip. Like you, I struggled to find an answer for my pain, though thankfully not as long. It was my veterinarian who finally convinced me it was my hip. I have had ligament reconstruction on the opposite ankle to fix damage caused by the hip and also have problems with that foot. Thankfully my hip problem was caused by an accident when I was a toddler so I'm not facing another THR.

Have you asked about an arthritis medication such as Celebrex or Mobic? They put me on Celebrex prior to my first surgery. When I stopped taking it after the replacement I could tell a huge difference in my other joints. My general physician put me back on it. It is not without side effects, but it has really helped me. You might try it.

Good luck, take it one day at a time, and stay positive!

Margaret
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie

Just catching up with my almost twin surgery sister - one day apart.

I know exactly what you mean about monitoring every little twinge and pain. I sometimes think it gets harder as the weeks go by and we have to return to normal living, working, etc etc..

I think because our muscles and ligaments are healing and the soft tissue, we could even be forming more scar tissue that every time we move we break the collagen cross linkages and that causes more pain.... don't know about you surgical Sis, but it is a right (or left) pain in the butt :) xx
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hey Sandy, surgical sis! Love the "name". You are always so upbeat! I actually went to bed the past 2 nights without so much anxiety and slept pretty well. You are absolutely right about getting back into normal life and new aches and pains. Trying now to eat healthier and get back to my weight loss, which I know will help with my confidence and all areas. Yes, I am going right now to garbage disposal for my carb burning (or grinding really!) Take care.

Di
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi surgical sis :)

Yes, so important to travel our own journey with recovery. there are just so many variables involved with THR. Even though the basic process is the same and the outcome of the implant is the same.

I find I have to be careful listening to friends and colleagues when they start the 'oh, my second cousins, aunt aged 86 had a hip replacement and she is........'

I have to keep in my mind for myself for example, that my OS gave me 12 weeks restrictions. He gave me that length of time because he has intimate knowledge of the damage of my hip having looked right inside of me... sometimes I think, I should be exercising more, but I have tested this theory so many times, walking without a stick (even if I just take it with me to swing and not actually use) and pushing it quite a bit passed my comfort zone and then spending the evening surfing BS laying on the bed icing the swelling.. so for me it is certainly 'slow and steady' will win my marathon.

It is Soooo different going back to the work, there are good and bad points. Social interaction and getting back into the 'real' world is a good indication of 'business as usual' with our lives. But when one has to race off to an exec meeting to a conference room that 'oh no, doesn't have ergonomic chairs' and I would feel a right twit taking a pillow... so tell myself chin up for the next hour (hopefully), soon I will be back in my office and can get the ice pack out of my fridge :)

It would be wonderful to be able to focus totally on one's recovery but when one has to work, life has to go on and the only thing we can do is 'to do our best'... and Di, you are doing great considering what you have been through.

Hang in there surgical sis :thumb:

p.s. I posted some info regarding the benefits of coconut oil on the thread 'Nutrition discussion'. I am a qualified, registered Naturopath, with three modalities, Herbalist, Nutrition and Naturopathy and have studied the benefits of medium chain fatty acids for quite a number of years. I have seen the beneficial results over and over again with patients in my clinic (before I put my other hat on as a Certified Information Systems Auditor, to earn more money to retire :)

Ahhh... retirement, one day closer :)
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hey "Sis",

Thanks for the insightful post.:thumb: Can we get the recipe for the coconut chocolate things? I used coconut oil for a while and am going to start again. In the summer I take it right off the spoon, but it is harder in the winter, how about in a cup of tea? I am so excited to hear about you being a naturopath. You must have a wealth of information. I too will be ready to retire in 3 years (from teaching) so totally understand the "one day closer" comment. :th_heehee:

Going back to work will be a challenge but I'm not ready yet and will see my OS Feb. 3 and we'll go from there. You are an inspiration in that department.

Ate really healthy today, ready for a pain med and off to sleep again for me.:sleep:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi "Sis"

Yes It is almost sleepy time here in OZ. We have strong storm happening at the moment. Lots of thunder lightening and very heavy rain.

I will write out the recipe for the coconut chilli chocolate next time.

Where we live in OZ, our winters get very cold, often with temps down to -7C as a minimum and -1C as a maximum, so my coconut oil goes solid. We sometimes eat it off the spoon cold, it takes like a white chocolate to me.. You can see I like chocolate :)

We should do our countdown to retirement together and then celebrate when we reach our magical dates. I must admit I do envy BS's who are retired and can concentrate totally on their health and recovery (just a little bit).. I would love to not have to plan my surgeries around how many days paid leave I have left, which then dictates how long I can take off.

I think with all the wonderful information Jane is providing (thanks heaps Jane xx) I would imagine lots of BS folk are taking a good look at their diet and how it can assist with recovery and rebuilding bone, muscle etc.. For example, there is a lot of work going on in our Femurs with bone having to form and grow around the prosthetic stems and that takes a long time, let alone breaking the cross linking of the muscles to align them... We are little miracle factories :)

Sleep tight xx
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg



It would be wonderful to be able to focus totally on one's recovery

I totally envy all of you that have gone back to work or are preparing for it. I am SOOOO tired of the total focus on my hip & recovery -- it is exhausting!

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Cardie! How have you been? Well, I hope, it's good to see you on here.
Yes, Sis, let's count down to retirement together.:thumb: I thought it might be too early but when I saw you posted the number of days I thought, oh I counted mine up too! Being a teacher I have summers off so it seems like I am even a little closer. Having the 2 hip surgeries helped me to realize that I want to enjoy every moment of life and having the time off from work to recover has helped me to realize how much I might enjoy retirement. You are a trooper to be back to work already...
Had PT this afternoon (at home), my new guy is great, very caring and knowledgable and I feel great tonight. Hoping to get a great night's sleep:sleep:

Talk to you all soon.
diane
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Cardie

Yep, grass is always greener on the other side, but right now the grass is at it's greenest right where you are. - focussing on you, your hip and your recovery... Stay with it, it will be worth it in the end.. :)
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Sis

Don't know about being a trooper, more about had no choice really.. All to do with our retirement fund.

Pleased your in house PT guy seems good, just what you need right now.

Ahhhhhhhh retirement - don't get me started, let me count the days - heheheheheh. seriously though we will get there. I just have to have the other hip done well before that magical date.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Sis,

You are too CUTE!!!!:wink1:Will catch up later, just up to take some pain meds:thumb:and now back to dream land:sleep:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

10 week update:snork:

*sleeping much better, only 2-3 hydrocodone at night if needed after a long day
*transitioning from walker to cane (slowly as my muscles are not as strong as I would like due to the nerve issues)
*nerve issues (numbness in L leg and foot, tingling is gone completely) are resolving:thumb: but oh so slowly, I look at this weekly, not daily, for progress
*feel stronger every day, walking more and more confident with PT exercises
*will see OS Feb. 3 and assess where I am at for return to work, etc.

I'm not where I would like to be but I am coming along. I have worked through a lot of pain. fear and acceptance of this 2nd new hip with the support of everyone here on the forum. Don't know what I would have done without it!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

For 10 weeks that all sounds pretty good to me.

well done!!

Remember, its not a sprint its a marathon - and you will surely post a brilliant time!!

As for the wind doen to retirement! What can I say except the sooner the better!!!!

Best wishes

Dave
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Thanks Dave, for the encouraging words. After 3 surgeries and 4 hospitalizations in 11 months, I think I am getting on well too. This stuff can take its toll on the body (and mind and emotions) and that is why I believe this hip is taking a little longer. I have totally forgotten about the bone on bone pain and how horrible that was...so if this one take a little longer so be it, it is so worth the new lease on life we get to be rid of that awful pain.

Slept really well again last night, PT today and a happy, more alert self:thumb:ONWARD!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie,

Sounds like you are making good progress! Sleeping well is such a big help for all the other stuff throughout the day, isn't it! I hope you have a good visit with your OS on Feb. 3rd and that he takes into consideration your 11 month surgery journey before recommending you shuffle back to work...

Thanks for asking about me. I am coming along slowly and am due back for some x-rays. Talk from my primary doc is about trying something like Lyrica or Neurontin for possible nerve hyper-sensitivity as I'm still having back and knee issues & just a touch of hip joint discomfort. Still working on finding that other job/hobby... :th_heehee:

Have a good day,
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi 'sis'

You are doing it tough! But you are getting there with slow and steady progress :)

Give yourself a 'gold star' :)

Lots of love
Sandy xx (your November buddy)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom